Fridges

December 21st 2017

My fridge has recently been showing signs of distress, so I thought it prudent to purchase a new one. It's around 10 years old, so it owes me nothing to be fair. Oddly, it started freezing stuff in the fridge, but melting stuff in the freezer. Mental.

My first stop, as always, was a well known high street retailers online site. Few clicks, delivery in days, and looking ahead to years of trouble free fridging. I'm not one for splashing the cash on white goods items, so when I saw the perfectly titled " Budget fridge freezer" I was instantly hooked. The online site was lagging, so I had to make the order through the telephone. Placed the order, and eagerly awaited the delivery, which was promised in 7 days.

December 28th 2017

The item duly arrived, and was carried up my one flight of stairs by what I can only describe as "two cheerful Geordies". One made a hilarious joke about the cold weather, and not needing a fridge etc. This was made more hilarious by the fact he was jumping about in shorts in December. Bunged one of them a fiver due to my over-excitement about finally having properly regulated food stuffs again. Whether he shared this with his pal remains unknown.

First impressions of the fridge once removed from the box were not good. It looked every inch a "budget fridge freezer".  You get what you pay for I suppose, so I soldiered on with removing the packaging. Upon inspection, I noticed the top of the door was catching on the top of the frame, ensuring a less than satisfactory opening and closing. I also noticed that some comedian had used some type of silicone sealant on a gap on the fridges frame. Not only had he/she used silicone sealant, but he/she done a such a poor job it was noticeable and very unsightly.

This was my chance to call the store and demand an explanation, and or a replacement. After a twenty minute conversation with the customer advisor, we settled on  an upgrade at no extra charge. A saving of £30. So instead of living with this budget abomination, I was now eagerly awaiting a Russell Hobbs Deluxe fridge freezer, in red. Yes, red. This was promised to arrive today, January 2nd 2018. I was also told the same people will take away the "budget fridge".

January 2nd 2018

Having consumed some Tesco "finest sausage rolls" the previous night, which were being stored in my old, clearly malfunctioning fridge, I awoke this morning to a  case of what I suspect is food poisoning. This was very bad timing as I was expecting my new fridge today. As expected, it duly arrived at 12:05, with one man. One fucking man. He stands at the door,complete with item and says, "can you carry it yourself". Aye mate, just fling it on ma back.

He then kindly offers to help me up the stairs, and I end up on the shite side, going first backwards. It wasn't that heavy, but my fridge carrying days are well behind me, and I proceed to slip on the stair, with the fridge falling on top of me. I carried on like a trooper and we reached the destination. This joker then refused to take away the "budget fridge", as it wasn't on his list. I toyed with idea of tipping him, but decided his overall attitude didn't merit it. An awkward 5 minute conversation ensued, but I knew his game and resisted the urge to cross his palm.

Opened the new fridge and to my serious disappointment, it looked like it had been dropped from a great height. WHAT THE f**k. You may think the damage was caused by my fall, but at no time did the fridge contact the floor. I had clearly been sent another duffer.

A replacement fridge has been ordered, and I have been assured that this one will be quality checked before delivery. At time of writing I currently have 3 fridges in my kitchen, but my milk is still getting frozen, and my frozen pizzas still melting.

The way I see it I have 2 options; Wait patiently for my new fridge, (expected on January  4th 2018), or set my flat on fire and start a new life in another town. If this 3rd fridge is broken, option 2 might be the only solution.

Any (serious) advice welcome.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Is this another Bennett alias (remember Vicky the Viking?) attempting to wind up Bobby Skidmarks over his Christmas fridge issues?

If anyone else had christmas fridge issues, then they have my symapthy. It's no laughing matter. I have pictures to upload as evidence for any doubters.

29 minutes ago, sjc said:

Is this another Bennett alias (remember Vicky the Viking?) attempting to wind up Bobby Skidmarks over his Christmas fridge issues?

I would never show Bobby Skidmarks such disrespect, getting on his wrong side is not wise.

I'm a bit disappointed by the cynicism on here.

If I had a problem with a fridge the first thing I would do would be to open an account on a football forum that I had never had an account on previously and ask for advice.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm a bit disappointed by the cynicism on here.

If I had a problem with a fridge the first thing I would do would be to open an account on a football forum that I had never had an account on previously and ask for advice.

Ooh you're so cynical. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Thought it was @DA Baracus with the big cheese related fridge problem.

I got a 'new' one (operational one). I actually broke it on New Year's Eve but managed to fix it. I left my old one out in the street. Disappointingly it took a week for someone to steal it

1 hour ago, WeWereThePeople said:

Is that a still from the movie Sunshine?

Archived