A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

5bb549eb78b3b_therecs1928.jpg.b9c82d8e0f7718d8e654b2e13209d0b3.jpg

Alloa's Recreation Park in 1928. 

Another 80 years had to pass before a KFC was built nearby. 

It really was "out of town" back then. KFC is more or less the gap between the raised banking and the turnstiles at the corner.

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

It really was "out of town" back then. KFC is more or less the gap between the raised banking and the turnstiles at the corner.

you might like to know that my first ever Sunday game was at the Recs - about 30 years ago when Alloa played Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup. Can't remember why it was on a Sunday unless it was to avoid clashing with the Binos! 

A Cowden team containing fine players Paul Cherry and Roddy Grant beat the Wasps.  

10 hours ago, H Wragg said:

Where is this?

This is definitely Fir Park not Love Street.  Knowetop School (now adjacent to the East Stand) is visible to the top right of the ground, and the old Motherwell College site is in the foreground.  Fir Park Street can be seen running at an angle to where the Phil O’Donnell/Main Stand is now.  Airbles Road can be seen in the background - the area on the top right of the photo is where the Civic Centre now stands.

And, yes, I did create an account just to post this! Great thread.

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

This picture of St. Mirren Park from 1958 is mind blowing.

The North Bank roof is mid construction  and look north...no motorway and no airport!

ls58.jpg.27407be0aff9bd27afbee42524802a69.jpg

Is it possible that's the end of the runway creeping in to the shot on the top right? Abbotsinch was certainly in use during the war.

On 04/10/2018 at 09:35, Austinho said:

Well-dressed Hibs fans at Easter Road watching their team against Falkirk, 30th September 1958.

10628898_779294395462471_3895481539383498632_o.jpg

This looks like a rugby supporting Hooray Henry taking the piss at the football while his mate takes the pic.

16 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

This looks like a rugby supporting Hooray Henry taking the piss at the football while his mate takes the pic.

Seems like a Frank Spencer/ Norman Wisdom sort...

2 hours ago, Mr. X said:

I thought this was a really old photo, but it turns out it's from 1991. 

Huge changes to football grounds in such a short time after Hillsborough disaster.

tynie 1991.JPG

The view from the away end used to be murder, you were below the pitch level if you were down the front IIRC.

Hard to believe it's the same stadium now...

image.jpg

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

you might like to know that my first ever Sunday game was at the Recs - about 30 years ago when Alloa played Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup. Can't remember why it was on a Sunday unless it was to avoid clashing with the Binos! 

A Cowden team containing fine players Paul Cherry and Roddy Grant beat the Wasps.  

I was there no idea why it was a Sunday.

On 10/4/2018 at 09:35, Austinho said:

Well-dressed Hibs fans at Easter Road watching their team against Falkirk, 30th September 1958.

10628898_779294395462471_3895481539383498632_o.jpg

I suppose, in an era when coming out would be difficult, the next best thing you could do to assert your identity would be to bravely put on a PVC raincoat, and go down to the football with the boys and indulge in the banter, the banter in your best Kenneth Williams manner

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

I suppose, in an era when coming out would be difficult, the next best thing you could do to assert your identity would be to bravely put on a PVC raincoat, and go down to the football with the boys and indulge in the banter, the banter in your best Kenneth Williams manner

He's probably trying to avoid  folk pishing on him.