A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 19/10/2022 at 20:48, Dundee Hibernian said:

"The Face in the Crowd" (of one). Humour displayed by the Brechin City programme editor, year unknown.

1776422810_Faceinthecrowd.thumb.jpg.a80800589ae4bad2e94e6addfa61e54d.jpg

I wonder if he ever claimed history "socket set"? Pretty random prize.

ย 

Edited by VillaKnollBoy
Wrong word.

I was 13 year old when Wallace Mercer tried to buy/take over Hibs and essentially put them out of business.

I remember the absolute vitriol directed at him, it was beyond hatred and I seem to recall Hearts fans were aghast as well at the prospect of 'Edinburgh United' as was being mooted, I rewatched the 'Scotland's Game' mini series on the iPlayer recently, the update to the 1986 'Only a Game?' from about five years ago and Mercer was being interviewed saying how appalled and shocked he was at threats of physical violence to him and bricks being lobbed through his window?

Seriously, he was shocked at that? Having been involved in Scottish football, specifically Hearts for around a decade at that time I'm amazed that, firstly he was surprised at such a reaction and secondly, someone didn't pull him aside and advise him how much of a horrendous idea and, frankly dangerous venture that was.ย 

Right up there with some of the worst characters associated with Scottish football clubs in the post war period, a Grade A c**t of a man.

FB_IMG_1666813688455.jpg

On 26/10/2022 at 20:57, Flybhoy said:

I was 13 year old when Wallace Mercer tried to buy/take over Hibs and essentially put them out of business.

I remember the absolute vitriol directed at him, it was beyond hatred and I seem to recall Hearts fans were aghast as well at the prospect of 'Edinburgh United' as was being mooted, I rewatched the 'Scotland's Game' mini series on the iPlayer recently, the update to the 1986 'Only a Game?' from about five years ago and Mercer was being interviewed saying how appalled and shocked he was at threats of physical violence to him and bricks being lobbed through his window?

Seriously, he was shocked at that? Having been involved in Scottish football, specifically Hearts for around a decade at that time I'm amazed that, firstly he was surprised at such a reaction and secondly, someone didn't pull him aside and advise him how much of a horrendous idea and, frankly dangerous venture that was.ย 

Right up there with some of the worst characters associated with Scottish football clubs in the post war period, a Grade A c**t of a man.

FB_IMG_1666813688455.jpg

I was at that rally. There were a few Jambos there who had no time for Wallet Mercenary either

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

What is the Hibernian "crest" all about on that programme cover?

It's the crest of the Edinburgh FA, later the East of Scotland FA, of which Hibs are members and is based on the coat of arms of the City of Edinburghย 

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was at that rally. There were a few Jambos there who had no time for Wallet Mercenary either

I have heard one or two say that in the years since - theres a bit of "My grandparents were not in the Nazi party" at play in many of those memories............

John Robertson being the famous exception.

A couple from Boghead in the late 90s. Clydebank v ICT. Apologies for the big watermarks but there was a cheeky c**t who nicked the first image a couple of years back and actually put his own watermark on it...

image.thumb.jpeg.999f8a26f2a07d48df08948be2eeb3c3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e1c1f743069a9e92921b33200df0d35e.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

As the present topic concerns Dumbarton, here's a poem by Stephen Watt of Old Kilpatrick.

An ode to Dumbarton FC's former Boghead Park

Glorious, crumbling Miller Street entrance,

with your skinny turnstiles causing problems

for anyone with an unhealthy lifestyle.

Here lay an alternative to the antidepressants.

Behind the goals, we were protagonist champions

in offering support, opinions, wrapped in knitted

black and yellow vestments for neither warmth

or comfort; our clubโ€™s stalwart ever-presents.

Dead bluebottles stuck in the small standโ€™s windows

where flakes of stale pie rained above the tunnel.

Smuggled quarter bottles rustled inside pockets,

suckled when constables became semi-conscious,

seconds before the merciful half-time whistle.

The unofficial changing of the ends; supporters

exchanging insults, but the unlikeliest of friends

when it came to the crackling tannoy results.

We revelled mostly in the Scottish Cup upsets.

Fans lived for superstitions, omens,

the replication of emotions on the castleโ€™s blazons;

McQuade-twists, Gibson tap-ins, Mooney chips,

Charnley explosions; whoever the opponents,

so long as Dumbarton shred them into ribbons.

Boghead, we lived through so many divisions

until a new Millennium bulldozed your bricks.

Now I keep my lovesick colours behind fastened buttons,

and a yardstick of adoration for a lifetime of following Sons.

And as this is the photographic history topic, these are the Scottish Cup winning Sons from 1883:

1261292907_Sons1883.jpeg.0276979ab47348847a8be8ae92648d54.jpeg

They wouldn't switch to the black and gold jerseys for four more years, club colours in 1883 were navy blue jerseys, white shorts and red socks.

Winning the cup after a replay by 2-1 v Vale of Leven, the 1883 Final was the first between two sides from outside of Glasgow. And the two Sons' goals were scored by R Brown, but two different players named R Brown. Both Browns also gained Scotland caps, and were differentiated by their nicknames 'Plumber' and 'Sparrow', thus the goal scorers were listed as RP Brown and RS Brown

ย 

ย 

As the present topic concerns Dumbarton, here's a poem by Stephen Watt of Old Kilpatrick.
And as this is the photographic history topic, these are the Scottish Cup winning Sons from 1883:
They wouldn't switch to the black and gold jerseys for four more years, club colours in 1883 were navy blue jerseys, white shorts and red socks.
Winning the cup after a replay by 2-1 v Vale of Leven, the 1883 Final was the first between two sides from outside of Glasgow. And the two Sons' goals were scored by R Brown, but two different players named R Brown. Both Browns also gained Scotland caps, and were differentiated by their nicknames 'Plumber' and 'Sparrow', thus the goal scorers were listed as RP Brown and RS Brown

ย 
ย 

And the navy blue, white and red are our change colours in this our 150th year

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

ย 

ย 

Thanks for posting this - Stephen is the club poet and his stuff is excellent, recognised by UK national awards.

A wee reminder that our 150th Exhibition runs in Dumbarton Public Library until 17th December (free entry).ย  In the course of research of local clubs Pinterest provided this image of the Renton FC badge - maybe it's just me but it seems to be almost a predecessor to that of a certain Glasgow club.

Renton FC Badge.jpg

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

A couple from Boghead in the late 90s. Clydebank v ICT. Apologies for the big watermarks but there was a c**t who nicked the first image a couple of years back and actually put his own watermark on it...

image.thumb.jpeg.999f8a26f2a07d48df08948be2eeb3c3.jpeg

ย 

This would be a League Cup tie in August, the pitch was never in that good nick from then onwardsย ๐ŸŠโ€โ™€๏ธย ๐ŸŠโ€โ™€๏ธย ๐ŸŠโ€โ™€๏ธ