A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Would recognise the Brockville changing room anywhere. George Watson and Alan Irvine in amongst: Chisholm, Fleck, Burns, McGrain, Bell, Blackley, Duffy, Connor and Fraser.

The guy 2nd left: was he a Hibs player?

Presume this was a testimonial?

Yup, a belated testimonial for George Young. Played an England select managed by Don Revie.

Edited by jagfox

On 15/04/2023 at 10:20, Sergeant Wilson said:

The weird thing fo me on a history thread is the fact I remember so much of it.

Before my Mum passed a few years ago she had no idea what she did an hour earlier, but could name everyone in her school photo from 1933 when she was 15. 

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Yup, a belated testimonial for George Young. Played an England select managed by Don Revie.

But played at Brockville for an Oldco legend because Oldco used them up and spat them out...

Don Revie must've already been suffering from MND when this match took place in May 1986, and although Revie rightly receives a lot of stick, it was he who organised the testimonial where Oldco steadfastly refused.

One interesting footnote was that Revie's team played in English strips (just like the George Young Select) and it included Joe Jordan!

I'd love to know if anyone remembers a picture of Joe Jordan in an English strip.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

But played at Brockville for an Oldco legend because Oldco used them up and spat them out...

Don Revie must've already been suffering from MND when this match took place in May 1986, and although Revie rightly receives a lot of stick, it was he who organised the testimonial where Oldco steadfastly refused.

One interesting footnote was that Revie's team played in English strips (just like the George Young Select) and it included Joe Jordan!

I'd love to know if anyone remembers a picture of Joe Jordan in an English strip.

Despite his long association with Rangers, the club declined to arrange a testimonial for Young in his retirement as they were worried it would set a precedent for many other retired players. 

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Before my Mum passed a few years ago she had no idea what she did an hour earlier, but could name everyone in her school photo from 1933 when she was 15. 

And that's why our club (Aberdeen Community Trust ) were founder members of the Football Memories project alongside Hibs and Falkirk to allow our more senior members of society to meet up and discuss football (or, hopefully, any other subject) of yesteryear.

It's a great intiative and this project now has meetings across Scotland I think.

There's no doubt a P&B thread on the subject.

12 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not a lot of people know that Paisley once had 2 top flight football teams, both founder members of the SFL in 1890.

From Brian wright who has written many excellent books and articles on the history of football in Paisley.

Is that Brian Wright the late Alex Wright's son?

On 17/04/2023 at 13:32, Bogbrush1903 said:

Gray finally finds a tool equipped to chop down one of the most irritating mullets in world football...

Mullet.jpg.b8727558ff9bfb0eb4f81bd6ff38f44f.jpg

Christ, I had that very jacket in the 70s ... and yes, I know, you don't have to tell me ... ! 🫣

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

IMG_20230418_193249620_BURST000_COVER_TOP2.thumb.jpg.cb674708fbe95b72fbde18a39d1231f7.jpg

This book came out in 1985 and I bought this in the late 80s or so.

John Byrne was from Barrhead and a headmaster at one of the local primary schools (St Johns I think) and a really nice guy. 

Sat with him quite a few times in the Arthurlie Inns in the late 70s and early 80s and he was a font of knowledge on football, especially in the local area. 

He watched Arthurlie for years.  When it came to senior football I can't remember if he was a St Mirren fan or a Celtic fan - I think it was St Mirren.

Edited by paul wright scores

Is it time to arm officials?  It would be a throwback to 1882...

The_Rutherglen_Reformer_and_Cambuslang_Journal_Fri__Feb_17__1882_.thumb.jpg.e40b8c323ac9801eff92ceb770d42cc9.jpg

(this is not Airdrieonians, but the 1868 club; it's notable how much the newspapers were willing to report on violence in matches when the perpetrators were, like Airdrie, made up of Irish immigrant players; the question is whether this is because they were genuinely more aggressive on the pitch - it's certainly a tendency found in reports in relation to 'country' clubs - or whether this was editorial prejudice)

John Wark, signing for Liverpool in 1984 posing in front of the Liver buildings in the city centre. 

One of hundreds of players from the 50's onwards who made their career in England but never started out with or played for a club in their home country of Scotland, along with the likes of Denis Law, John Robertson, John McGovern, John O'Hare, Arthur Albiston to name but a few, I'm assuming back in the days before the influx of thousands of foreigners into the leagues on this island the best Scottish players were scouted by top English clubs from school age?

FB_IMG_1681932293734.jpg

On 19/04/2023 at 22:38, WattersIsGod said:

One fhose ageless players. Still looked class playing for Ipswich in the 90s.

He didn't look too clever at Pittodrie in 1981; however, I've got a dvd of the live coverage on the BBC of a World Cup qualifier when Spain defeated Scotland with a Clos second half header.

During the match, the camera shot switches to the touchline where the Scotland subs, including Wark, are warming up.

I can't fully remember what he was doing but it was some questionable body movements  that he was deliberately doing because he knew the camera was on him.

I don't think Wark was ever involved with Scotland again despite being at Liverpool at the time.

Consequently, I've been suspect of his attitude and have marked his autobiography, Wark On, as a book that I shall read on my Good Reads account.

On 20/04/2023 at 22:49, Otis Blue said:

God aye, forgot about him. Tiny was a "big" lad ... how did he ever keep up with play? ... probably didn't I suppose, not that it mattered much then ...

You've set up the re-telling of this old story...

My mate played at the tail end of Tiny's career. He gave a dubious corner from his position in the centre circle and made his way to the penalty area. My pal said, Mr Wharton that was a bye kick. He replied, "Do you think I've come all this way to change my mind son"?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

May be an image of 7 people, people playing football and people playing American football

Buckie Thistle v Hearts 1954/55. Over 5K inside Viccy Pk for a Rnd 6 Scottish Cup game that Hearts won 6-0. Season before, Buckie had swept all before them in the Highlands, but a strong Hearts team including Willie Bauld et al were just too good for them...

Big game tomorrow in the HFL...winner takes all...Buckie v Brechin

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You've set up the re-tellung of this old story...

My mate played at the tail end of Tiny's career. He gave a dubious corner from his position in the centre circle and made his way to the penalty area. My pal said, Mr Wharton that was a bye kick. He replied, "Do you think I've come all this way to change my mind son"?

I was privileged to witness Tiny’s  last ever match  - Ayr United v Thistle @ 1990s … linesman injured and a call  for any qualified referee in the crowd to step in. Big cheer from both sets of fans when this old but still unmistakable giant figure emerged from the tunnel , resplendent (as always) in shirt and tie , SFA blazer, and grey flannels tucked into a pair of old football socks,  and in the only pair of size 13 football boots to be found at Somerset Park. Tiny duly took up a position midway between the halfway and goal lines, and didn’t budge an inch for the rest of the match. Cue several controversial offside flags raised from Tiny’s unique vantage point.  No-one argued with him.