A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

9 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Peter Mackie is best remembered by me for this one against the erstwhile Rangers.

Having seen up ship the customary late goal sickener to McCoist, not for the first time, Mackie was having none of it and went on a mini solo run through the middle of them and knocked in an even later winner.

As ever with these type of things, it obviously wasn't on the telly.

image.png.723b1cb01f010776f148f9acf8d2f56f.png

I think that was arguably his only worthwhile contribution in a Saints shirt. 
We all had high hopes for him but he was poor. Perhaps we had been spoiled in the previous 8 seasons with quality players that were far better than him. 

On 18/11/2023 at 13:08, Flybhoy said:

Paul McStay evades Andre Van Tiggelen at Euro 92 in Sweden, Scotland should have been in front by half time, two great chances fell to to the wrong players, Richard Gough and Dave McPherson both had loose balls land at their feet in the box at set pieces and both ballooned them over the bar, I think the player on the left is Philipe Cocu, that may be a young Edgar Davids on the right but not 100% sure.

Edit, on second look that left may be Wim Jonk on the left methinks.

FB_IMG_1700311637744.jpg

The maestro 😎

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

s-l1600.jpg

Wednesday 30th November 1904
image.png.082b71690d1bdac93a510af0e767094a.png

Saturday 18th February 1905
image.png.878f7d6425cf2168df2fe367c0508206.png
image.png.9f095725e420c59afeebad2510496f9c.png

Saturday 25th February 1905
image.png.703355b2d8f78be7257e8a44df6e7b02.png

Saturday 18th November 1905
image.png.0c55303634d4926755eebc9823da41b8.png

Moray House trained teachers (Ma and Pa Bam went there) and was amalgamated into Edinburgh University later on.

On 18/11/2023 at 13:08, Flybhoy said:

Paul McStay evades Andre Van Tiggelen at Euro 92 in Sweden, Scotland should have been in front by half time, two great chances fell to to the wrong players, Richard Gough and Dave McPherson both had loose balls land at their feet in the box at set pieces and both ballooned them over the bar, I think the player on the left is Philipe Cocu, that may be a young Edgar Davids on the right but not 100% sure.

Edit, on second look that left may be Wim Jonk on the left methinks.

FB_IMG_1700311637744.jpg

Paul McStay was outstanding in that tournament, and he was going up against the very best when you consider that our first game was against the defending European champions and our second was against the reigning world champions. Scotland's performance in that tournament was right up there with anything we've ever produced in a finals, but the standard of opposition was just a bridge too far. The Germany game, in particular, was a pisser, where we went toe-to-toe with them for most of the game and were undone by their flukey second goal.

It was my second Tartan Army trip and I've got a ton of great pictures from it kicking around somewhere.

The picture of the Scotland fans below is from the CIS game on 18th June. Througout the tournament, newsagents in Sweden had displays that featured near life sized cardboard cut outs of the Swedish players. The night before this picture was taken Sweden knocked England out of the tournament in hilarious style. The Tartan Army showed their appreciation by liberationg some of the cardboard Sweden players and inviting and inviting them along to the Scotland game.

In the picture, I've arrowed cardboard Anders Limpar enjoying the game with a tartan scarf round his neck.

Euro92.thumb.jpg.7caf64873d050587465580476082e99b.jpg

limpar1.JPG.0649a29d86ae5b117e9e276ee7d6a56c.JPG

On 19/11/2023 at 15:24, Molotov said:

I think that was arguably his only worthwhile contribution in a Saints shirt. 
We all had high hopes for him but he was poor. Perhaps we had been spoiled in the previous 8 seasons with quality players that were far better than him. 

Nah, he put in the cross for Peter Godfey's goal v Hearts in the 6-2 game,

Had he not done that the Scumbo's might only have lost 5-2 and won the league...however that's Auntie, baws and Uncle territory.

Absolutely delighted to discover my Great Grandad played for Irvine Vics in 1910s.

Photo here has scribbled on the back “season 1912/13”. He married in 1920, we’re trying to figure out which age group this photo may have been.

Also a very snazzy Vics tie has been found in the family museum (i.e. the big box of stuff my Dad has inherited). Will post a separate photo of that due to file size.

IMG_9138.png

On 19/11/2023 at 23:57, tamthebam said:

Moray House trained teachers (Ma and Pa Bam went there) and was amalgamated into Edinburgh University later on.

There were 2 main teacher training colleges in Edinburgh until 1907 - the Scotch Education Department having assumed responsibility 2yrs prior. (There was an additional training college only open to women based from St George's School in Melville Street - later at Ravelston - until 1939).

EC Training College... the team depicted... was the Church of Scotland institution (EC = established church) based in Johnston Terrace + Chambers Street:

Edinburgh_-_Edinburgh,_15_Johnston_Terra

14801661570_1b48fd4131_b.jpg

'Moray House' aka Normal School Training College was the United Free Church of Scotland institution (Free Church until 1900):

Moray_House_Gate,_Holyrood_Campus.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 20/11/2023 at 23:13, Dirty Sanchez said:

Paul McStay was outstanding in that tournament, and he was going up against the very best when you consider that our first game was against the defending European champions and our second was against the reigning world champions. Scotland's performance in that tournament was right up there with anything we've ever produced in a finals, but the standard of opposition was just a bridge too far. The Germany game, in particular, was a pisser, where we went toe-to-toe with them for most of the game and were undone by their flukey second goal.

It was my second Tartan Army trip and I've got a ton of great pictures from it kicking around somewhere.

The picture of the Scotland fans below is from the CIS game on 18th June. Througout the tournament, newsagents in Sweden had displays that featured near life sized cardboard cut outs of the Swedish players. The night before this picture was taken Sweden knocked England out of the tournament in hilarious style. The Tartan Army showed their appreciation by liberationg some of the cardboard Sweden players and inviting and inviting them along to the Scotland game.

In the picture, I've arrowed cardboard Anders Limpar enjoying the game with a tartan scarf round his neck.

Euro92.thumb.jpg.7caf64873d050587465580476082e99b.jpg

limpar1.JPG.0649a29d86ae5b117e9e276ee7d6a56c.JPG

He should have gone to Italy