A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

45 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Yes, that 200 quid of white fivers you still have in your wallet is worth a couple of thousand today. 

I'd be looking for a wee bit more than that, but I'll take yours off you for that price.

A rare Peter Grant goal, at Easter Road in 1988, the odd goal he did get was often a peach to be fair, he could strike a ball from distance, as he did here from about 25 yards out.

Bizarrely enough I recently did a bit of work in his current house he lives in that he rents from a letting agent I do work for while he is at Alloa, was quite surreal working in the house of a guy who played 300 games for Celtic and drinking coffee with him, smashing lad as well. 

IMG_20210304_204113.jpg

On 11/03/2021 at 08:41, Drew Brees said:

1974 WC in west Germany 

0847B15F-3724-41B4-A02A-9CB14E558AB4.jpeg

Is that Thomson Allan? It looks like Jim Stewart but he wasn't in the squad 

Oh he may not even be a goalie but he looks a lot taller than Tommy Hutchinson and Dalglish 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 20/02/2021 at 17:42, Piquet said:

There were actually two Clubhouses in the old Lansdowne Road. The one in that photo is Wanderers FC ( three of whose members won VCs in the Great War). The other one was at the other end of that stand and was Lansdowne FC. (Both clubs are Rugby Clubs, founded before the codes split, so they don't use the "R".

By the way,the top deck of that stand was above the Mainline railway.

image.png.753fc302d7623ee328868b472af8e003.png Here's a train from the City pulling up at Lansdowne Road Station having travelled under the West Stand.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Is that Thomson Allan? It looks like Jim Stewart but he wasn't in the squad 

Oh he may not even be a goalie but he looks a lot taller than Tommy Hutchinson and Dalglish 

It's not Thomson Allan, he wasn't very tall for a keeper but had fantastic positional sense and often made difficult saves look easy. I think it's a young Jim Stewart but can't remember if he was in squad

10 hours ago, Lurkst said:

It is Jim Stewart and he absolutely was in the squad, #13...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

c1c57a7411a56fa46443bdfc3a4a5396.jpg

Oh indeed, I thought he was too young for 1974. Here's him telling the reader that it was his biggest thrill in football getting picked and not getting picked in 1978 his biggest disappointment.. 

And favourite other team... Glasgow Rangers 😏 Surely should be Kilmarnock, oh how much I hate the Gruesome Twosome... 

Wasn't aware he had a spell at Middlesbrough... 

jim-stewart-middlesbrough.jpg

38 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

And favourite other team... Glasgow Rangers 😏 Surely should be Kilmarnock, oh how much I hate the Gruesome Twosome... 

Wasn't aware he had a spell at Middlesbrough... 

Place of birth, Kilwinning. A fair indicator of favourite club.

Yes sold to Middlesbrough in 77-78 for I think a six figure fee but I can't find record of it. Fortunately we had the great Alan McCulloch in reserve to take his place between the sticks.

Jim did make his Scotland debut while a Killie player in the second half of the below infamous game in Santiago, our last international player until Ally McCoist over 20 years later...

twsjdwwqd1161.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

Programmes from the ASK Vorwärts Berlin v Rangers 1961/62 European Cup First Round tie. The 2nd leg was played in Malmö, Sweden as the UK Government would not issue visas to the East German side as construction of the Berlin Wall started a few months earlier. Have a feeling this game has been mentioned in this topic before but the 2nd leg game was abandoned due to fog and replayed the next morning with a 10am kick-off.

75587845-6BF1-456B-8142-38A632EFFE5F.jpeg

5D994386-A8BB-43F2-9EAC-0AD067D9EF54.jpeg