A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

@Flybhoy you can red dot me all you want but the facts don’t lie.

This is what the late great Billy McNeill said after one match :

“We want nothing to do with this scum”

IMG_4427.thumb.jpeg.cfb22455a2e3465a3c0f0758c0504c6b.jpeg

IMG_4428.jpeg.3ab6fbd1711cd8f9d33821b39b1da691.jpegIMG_4426.thumb.jpeg.c1e4fe18ca3c30eded5e431f70a252ed.jpeg

Here is a Celtic fan’s memory (via www.kerrydalestreet.co.uk )

“Celtic fans made up the majority of the 20,000 or so at Turf Moor. Hundreds of drink loaded buses left from salubrious drinking mens’ pubs throughout Scotland.

There was mayhem at service stations which involved police with dogs and wholesale looting and debauchery. From my supporters’ bus one guy was arrested and put in a van with dogs. He was released from the van by ****** vigilantes, bloodstained and missing his trousers, but in true Celtic fashion still attended the match. While this was happening one of his mates was liberating a full tray of Penguin biscuits from the service station which he liberally distributed to all on the bus.

Little portable huts selling pints were dotted round Turf Moor. The one near us was lifted off the ground, and again liberal looting took place. The Burnley fans then decided to chant “Argentina” at us. There was a no man’s land between both sets of fans with 6′ high iron railings on either side. A Rangers scarf was produced – cue mayhem. A sea of bottles and cans rained down on the Burnley fans. They responded with an interesting tactic. The beer cans were flattened and then skyted back at us. The casualty count was rising and eventually Celtic fans pulled down the fencing and used it as spears to throw at the police and Burnley fans, who ran onto the field.

Billy came out to appeal for calm.”

“A night I will never forget”

Burnley fans’ recollections are reproduced with thanks from www.thelongside,co.uk  and the Turfites Talk site:

“Never seen anything like it before or since.”

“I worked in Accrington at the time. The landlord at our local said a van load of Celtic fans had arrived at his pub about five and they stayed till chucking out time without ever going the last 6 miles to watch the match.”

“They were there in their thousands – most of them were stupendously pissed and they were mean, aggressive and spoiling for a scrap.”

“Outside the Turf it was chaos, with no segregation between fans as the police were hopelessly outnumbered. Hundreds of Celtic fans were simply jumping over the turnstiles. There were battles everywhere – on the terraces, on the Beehole steps, outside the pie stall, behind the Longside – everywhere. The air was full of flying plastic glasses and the odd coin and real glass bottle. There was a pitch invasion which in my recollection was actually begun by the few hundred remaining Clarets in the Longside, surrounded on three sides and realising that the game was up and it was a case of the pitch offering the only escape route. The Jocks followed, having broken down the fencing that theoretically should have separated the two sets of fans on the Longside. There was then a massive running battle on the pitch, and it was getting very nasty indeed.”

“Going for a slash was quite an ordeal. They were skimming empty whisky bottles along the back wall as soon as you popped your head out. It was like one of those fairground games.”

“My abiding memory is that the Longside was taken- they broke through the fencing and used the debris as missiles. There must have been 5,000 more than the official figure suggests inside the Turf that night, all of whom were Celtic, as the police gave up and just let them jump the turnstiles. Sheer weight of numbers told, literally – I reckon the crush is why the fence gave way and it’s a miracle there weren’t any deaths. Once the fence came down the Clarets had nowhere to go but onto the pitch. 

I was in the relative safety of the Cricket Field stand at the time. However I remember Celtic fans destroying the fence between the fans and using pieces of it as spears. The cops with their dogs and horses had no chance. You should have seen Burnley town centre the day after the game. I do recall a group of Burnley fans remaining in the Longside – not many though, and they must have been scared to death.”

“Like all Clarets who witnessed the trouble it is a night I will never forget. We were in the Cricket Field stand adjacent to the away fans. Initially, they concentrated on the Burnley fans next to them in the Longside, heaving whatever they could over the dividing fence. They then ripped up the fence and hurled the metal javelins at our fans. Later in the match they started to climb into our stand, some with blood soaked bandaged heads, looking for all the world like pirates boarding a ship.”

“The Longside had a fence to separate the fans in those days and after throwing hundreds of empties over it they then proceed to break the fencing up. They threw concrete and fence posts at the Burnley fans. I saw a man close behind me get struck with a lump of concrete and fall to the floor with blood gushing from his head.”

“Neither police nor the club had a clue how to handle it. The game continued as hundreds of Burnley fans tried to escape the area. The game was suspended eventually to allow them to escape and watch the game from elsewhere in the ground.”

“It was a miracle nobody was killed or severely injured.”

“I was scared to death. Absolutely the worst night of violence I have ever experienced. Bottles, steel railings, bricks and any other detritus the Celtic fans could find were coming our way.”

“I was with my sister and I honestly thought we were goners.”

“I was at the midpoint of the home end of The Longside – halfway along, halfway down. It was horrible. It wasn’t just the debris coming at us from the right, they’d found their way across at the back of the Longside, where the steps led down to the “toilets”, and so we got rushed from the right and from behind.”

“Was shepherded off and out of the ground by police horses, and not let back in.”

“I didn’t bother going up to Glasgow for the return leg.”

It would be interesting to know why you red dotted that piece @Flybhoy?

40 years ago, Brechin won their first major honour, the Division Two Championship. Player/manager Ian Fleming, ex Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Sheffield Wednesday and Dundee, led them to the trophy. Here he is in the 'Roy of the Rovers magazine that year, 1983. I'm unsure if he wore number 007.

IFlemBrech83.thumb.jpg.693def82c48856b4651afa777b46c8bc.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

3 hours ago, well again said:

Flybhoy is your typical Celtic fan, the Celtic fans and their club have never done anything wrong in their entire history . They have never been defeated fairly in any game either .  What a scummy shower they are.

Always the vhictims! 

Noticed this on the BBC website today ... bit of an embarrassing faux pas there lassies, n'est ce pas? ...

A popular K-Pop band appears to have made a mix-up by donning retro Rangers tops at a show in Texas.

STAYC were performing in Dallas as part of their US tour.

But instead of wearing local baseball team Texas Ranger's tops, the girl group appeared in 1990s kits worn by Glasgow Rangers.

K-pop band members wearing Rangers tops

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Noticed this on the BBC website today ... bit of an embarrassing faux pas there lassies, n'est ce pas? ...

A popular K-Pop band appears to have made a mix-up by donning retro Rangers tops at a show in Texas.

But instead of wearing local baseball team Texas Ranger's tops, the girl group appeared in 1990s kits worn by Glasgow Rangers.

Wonder if this story would have made it on to the BBC Scotland website if it had been Cove Rangers strips?

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Did Charles Green not claim Texas Rangers were twinning up with Sevco when he bought them?

If so, an easy mistake to make.

5 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Did Charles Green not claim Texas Rangers were twinning up with Sevco when he bought them?

If so, an easy mistake to make.

I think Green also mentioned something about selling the naming rights of Ibrox.

He mentioned a multi million pound deal with Apple and the stadium being called iBrox.

Not quite sure what happened 🤔

56 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I think Green also mentioned something about selling the naming rights of Ibrox.

He mentioned a multi million pound deal with Apple and the stadium being called iBrox.

Not quite sure what happened 🤔

He told them it was the same club too 🤣

As this pish has reached page 666 here is a picture of Rugby Park in the old days

rugbypark.jpg.a780fba78fcbb51b2a1d9ae6116d2e79.jpg

there's nothing particularly satanic about Kilmarnock FC (awaits replies from Honest Men fans) but in the late 1980s there used to be an ambulance man on duty there with the serial number 666. He had a wee goatie beard and every time he walked past the Meadowbank support when we played there we shouted "SATAN" and pointed at him. 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

As this pish has reached page 666 here is a picture of Rugby Park in the old days

there's nothing particularly satanic about Kilmarnock FC (awaits replies from Honest Men fans) but in the late 1980s there used to be an ambulance man on duty there with the serial number 666. He had a wee goatie beard and every time he walked past the Meadowbank support when we played there we shouted "SATAN" and pointed at him. 

And he quietly laughed and Meadowbank ceased to exist.

On this day in 1966 in their first ever game in European competition Dundee United beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup at the Nou Camp. Barcelona’s first home defeat in Europe to a British side. This is Finn Seemann scoring the second from the penalty spot.

IMG_1789.jpeg

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

This him?...

Best Santa Claus Beards Christmas Movies

On 07/06/2023 at 08:36, Boghead ranter said:

image.png.eb7bb42313a8b7c5b27b77f8493aac70.png

That wee patch of uncovered terracing to the right to the stand in this image is where I had my introduction to football fandom - the season after the one pictured here.

On 24/10/2023 at 14:01, Otis Blue said:

BURN THEM, BURN THE WITCHES, BURN THEM WITH FIRE!