What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

21 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think whoever escapes from the Championship should just be handed the MOTY award - that league gives me the fear TBH.

I also guess that anything you could say about ange would apply to McPake at Dunfermline (biggest club in the division by a reasonable distance, should be winning it comfortably)

bait.jpg.6bac30c12e1c446eb29d5758cfb92abd.jpg

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think whoever escapes from the Championship should just be handed the MOTY award - that league gives me the fear TBH.

I also guess that anything you could say about ange would apply to McPake at Dunfermline (biggest club in the division by a reasonable distance, should be winning it comfortably)

Not really. Falkirk are a similar size club and seemingly spent more than we did. Airdrie and Queen of the South are also full time clubs. Kelty had a bit of cash to chuck around.

We had most of the same players as last season, the ones who saw us relegated. McPake wasn't able to sign anyone for millions of quid. In fact he wasn't able to sign anyone for any transfer fee, making only two permanent signings over the summer (none in January, whereas Falkirk signed the lad from Clyde for a fee in January), having to supplement the squad with loans. How many signings did the Celtic manager make, and how much cash could he chuck around?

The gap between the full time sides and decent part time sides in this league is pretty small, although of course there are a couple of honking teams too.

Obviously teams like ourselves, Queen of the South and Falkirk (and Airdrie to an extent) are favourites for such a league, but to lose only a single game all season is pretty decent, especially doing so with so many players who were really poor last season.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not really. Falkirk are a similar size club and seemingly spent more than we did. Airdrie and Queen of the South are also full time clubs. Kelty had a bit of cash to chuck around.

We had most of the same players as last season, the ones who saw us relegated. McPake wasn't able to sign anyone for millions of quid. In fact he wasn't able to sign anyone for any transfer fee, making only two permanent signings over the summer (none in January, whereas Falkirk signed the lad from Clyde for a fee in January), having to supplement the squad with loans. How many signings did the Celtic manager make, and how much cash could he chuck around?

The gap between the full time sides and decent part time sides in this league is pretty small, although of course there are a couple of honking teams too.

Obviously teams like ourselves, Queen of the South and Falkirk (and Airdrie to an extent) are favourites for such a league, but to lose only a single game all season is pretty decent, especially doing so with so many players who were really poor last season.

I think you’ve been whooshed! 

On 10/05/2023 at 13:21, VincentGuerin said:

You'll not find an Australian fan who doesn't think he was a very good coach of the national team.

As an Aussie albeit from this distance that's not how I remember it. Every coach gets questioned on selections, particularly national teams, he was no different.

Coaching and selection aside, I clearer remember he had a slightly difficult relationship with the press who perceived him as curmudgeonly. Especially as part of his "values", to coin a phrase was to never give a straight answer and be a bit sneery and smart arsy to basic questions.

Will need to dig through the old Green and Gold forum for examples..

10 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

As an Aussie albeit from this distance that's not how I remember it. Every coach gets questioned on selections, particularly national teams, he was no different.

Coaching and selection aside, I clearer remember he had a slightly difficult relationship with the press who perceived him as curmudgeonly. Especially as part of his "values", to coin a phrase was to never give a straight answer and be a bit sneery and smart arsy to basic questions.

He's certainly still got that trait! The kind of thing I'd love if he was our manager, but in the opposition it's a pain in the hoop (no pun intended)

2 hours ago, Dylangt7 said:

I've certainly never heard anyone say 'He made us Champions of Asia, but it's totally spoiled by his press conferences'.

5 hours ago, Dylangt7 said:

Big team found.

Wouldn’t say “tinpot” is the word, or if it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but is it not a bit of a dick move by Celtic to hold their own player of the year awards do on the same night as the SPFA awards?

Especially when their players would more than likely be front row and centre when the main awards are being handed out.

On 12/05/2023 at 11:51, kennie makevin said:

'Manager or The Year' should be a recognition of 'exceptional achievement' . Debatable, given how many to they've won in the past few years, if there is anything 'exceptional' about Celtic winning a treble.  And , you never know, they may only win a double...

You'd have no winners most years, by the very definition of the word "exceptional".

34 minutes ago, Toby said:

Wouldn’t say “tinpot” is the word, or if it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but is it not a bit of a dick move by Celtic to hold their own player of the year awards do on the same night as the SPFA awards?

Especially when their players would more than likely be front row and centre when the main awards are being handed out.

Depends when they both got organised.

37 minutes ago, Toby said:

They probably know a big gallus Dutchman is pushing for 30 goals for the team in 7th that don't dominate teams and win a number by cricket scores.

That and every currant bun favouring player will have voted for him.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Depends when they both got organised.

I suppose it does, but I’d like to think that there would be some sort of consultation involved and the national awards would take precedence. It’s easier for one club to re-arrange than it is for the SPFA to work round 42 plus others.

Maybe I’m looking into it a bit much, but it strikes me as being a similar scenario to that of Rangers refusing to acknowledge the cinch deal as they have their own arrangement.