What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

RANGERS can today announce the club will not be entering a B team in the Scottish Lowland Football League in season 2023/24 and beyond. This follows the Scottish FA’s decision to withdraw a vote on the proposed introduction of a ‘Conference League’ at tier five in the national football pyramid.

:bairn

FynPJ0VXsAAZHID?format=jpg&name=small

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They promised Lowland League clubs a guaranteed £40k a year for as long as they agreed with Rangers policies, and then pulled out in a huff leaving these clubs with a huge unexpected shortfall in income just a month before their season begins, but at least they said some nice things.

The statement is just a total puff piece to try and get Rangers fans into the "it was only voted against because we wanted it" mindframe that no doubt will appear everywhere alongside claims Rangers games are more important than anyone elses so its unrealistic to expect them to play young Scots in the top flight.

I was under the impression that it was a £40k entry fee paid to the league for the B Teams to participate, rather than £40k paid to each team? Where was this tied to teams agreeing with our policies? Would only some clubs get the money if they didn't vote in favour of accepting B Teams?

32 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Reaction to Trade Tarriffs - Page 4 — Florida Sportsman

So now we've gone from people being critical of Rangers fielding a B team in the lowland league to people slagging of Rangers for not fielding a B team in the lowland league instead

Which is a definite PR boost for Hearts B

Silver linings and all that

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I was under the impression that it was a £40k entry fee paid to the league for the B Teams to participate, rather than £40k paid to each team? Where was this tied to teams agreeing with our policies? Would only some clubs get the money if they didn't vote in favour of accepting B Teams?

It is an overall fee, but thats still a substantial amount for clubs at that level even when its split amongst them.

High chances Celtic/Hearts now walk away too.

Its great but couldve been timed better. 

As for the clubs having to agree, its fairly obvious the "entry fee" is a bribe. Ill be disappointed if you go down the "be specific" route here and demand to see it as a written agreement.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It is an overall fee, but thats still a substantial amount for clubs at that level even when its split amongst them.

High chances Celtic/Hearts now walk away too.

Its great but couldve been timed better. 

As for the clubs having to agree, its fairly obvious the "entry fee" is a bribe. Ill be disappointed if you go down the "be specific" route here and demand to see it as a written agreement.

I thought that. Sorry, I thought you'd meant each team received £40,000 rather than around £2,500 if it is split evenly amongst them (assuming it all goes to the clubs and the league doesn't retain any).

Hearts have just confirmed they are remaining in the Lowland League - according to Edinburgh Live anyway. Not seen any mention from Celtic.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Out of interest

In the time that Rangers and Celtic had B teams, how many players who played games at that level have gone on to feature in their first teams?

For Rangers I think we've had the following players that have featured for the B team and the first team:

Archie Stevens, Paul Nsio, Zak Lovelace, Charlie McCann, Robbie Ure, Ross McCausland, Aaron Lyall, Bailey Rice, Alex Lowry, Leon King, Adam Devine, Cole McKinnon and Tony Weston.

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

For Rangers I think we've had the following players that have featured for the B team and the first team:

Archie Stevens, Paul Nsio, Zak Lovelace, Charlie McCann, Robbie Ure, Ross McCausland, Aaron Lyall, Bailey Rice, Alex Lowry, Leon King, Adam Devine, Cole McKinnon and Tony Weston.

Roughly half of these players are English ot Irish, and some, such as Sydney Devine's grandson, have only played a couple of minutes in the first team. 

In any case, there aren't many likely future Scotland full internationalists in that list, even accounting for the OF bias shown for selection.

On 07/06/2023 at 18:30, welshbairn said:

I found it a bit staggering how little media coverage the farcically unfair conference proposal got, didn't even get a mention on A View from the Terrace, I'm sure this will be the same. You SPFL boys don't know you're born.. 😁 

It’s been covered on the Terrace podcast.

24 minutes ago, AJF said:

downloadst.jpg

15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Roughly half of these players are English ot Irish, and some, such as Sydney Devine's grandson, have only played a couple of minutes in the first team. 

In any case, there aren't many likely future Scotland full internationalists in that list, even accounting for the OF bias shown for selection.

The question wasn't asking about what nationality the players were or how many minutes they'd featured for though? It simply asked who had featured for both the Rangers B team and the Rangers first team.

In terms of the potential future Scotland internationalists, I'll need to take your word for it if you've seen them play more than I have (which is very little). However of the players that are Scottish (Robbie Ure, Lyall, Rice, Lowry, King, Devine and McKinnon), every single one has represented Scotland at various age groups.

The chances are many of them won't go on to become full internationalists (as does 99% of academy players), but as I said, you must see them more than I do.

Edited by AJF

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

Who, who, who, who who, who, who, who, who, who, who who?

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Who, who, who, who who, who, who, who, who, who, who who?

Players that have featured for the Rangers first team after playing for the B team mate.

It’s not an unsurprising turn of events. I’m assuming the expectation was to point out that very few players have featured for the first team. And then when it’s found out they have, people change the argument to criticise the ability of the players.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

The question wasn't asking about what nationality the players were or how many minutes they'd featured for though? It simply asked who had featured for both the Rangers B team and the Rangers first team.

In terms of the potential future Scotland internationalists, I'll need to take your word for it if you've seen them play more than I have (which is very little). However of the players that are Scottish (Robbie Ure, Lyall, Rice, Lowry, King, Devine and McKinnon), every single one has represented Scotland at various age groups.

The chances are many of them won't go on to become full internationalists (as does 99% of academy players), but as I said, you must see them more than I do.

Aye, I know, it's the first time I've mentioned this on this thread. I merely brought it up as the claim for B sides being allowed into the league system appears to be that this would help the Scottish national side, which is laughable.

As for Scots born B siders who are signed up at Ibrox getting Scotland opportunites at various age groups, note I stated "even accounting for the OF bias shown for selection".

You've assumed I watch the Ibrox side's second string, which is also laughable.

Finally, and remember this has been happening for years, if these Scottish lads are getting opportunites to turn out for Scotland at various age levels, what goes wrong at Murray Park which prevents them getting on the full international stage?

19 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Aye, I know, it's the first time I've mentioned this on this thread. I merely brought it up as the claim for B sides being allowed into the league system appears to be that this would help the Scottish national side, which is laughable.

As for Scots born B siders who are signed up at Ibrox getting Scotland opportunites at various age groups, note I stated "even accounting for the OF bias shown for selection".

You've assumed I watch the Ibrox side's second string, which is also laughable.

Finally, and remember this has been happening for years, if these Scottish lads are getting opportunites to turn out for Scotland at various age levels, what goes wrong at Murray Park which prevents them getting on the full international stage?

I understand that side of things. As I've said before, I am not a supporter of B teams and the claims that it would help the Scottish national side I don't agree with. It is purely the clubs self interest they are concerned about.

I assumed you'd watched them more than me because you stated that you couldn't see many from that list becoming full internationalists. This made me think you had knowledge of their level of ability.

And as I've said before, the overwhelming majority of academy players (including those that represent Scotland at youth levels) fail to become a full internationalist. This isn't an issue confined to Rangers. With that being said, two of the youngest players that are regulars in Steve Clarke's Scotland squads were Rangers academy players (Gilmour and Patterson). I'd guess that fares up relatively fine if you look at which academies have produced the current crop of Scotland internationals.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

This is true, although given the apparent stated aim of B teams is "Rangers remains committed to finding the most innovative and challenging environments for our young players, not only for the benefit of our club, but also for the benefit of other clubs and the Scotland national team. We look forward to continuing our positive engagement with the Scottish FA and other bodies in the drive for young player development." it would probably help if the players participating were Scottish and prospective Rangers and Scotland first team players.

I realise not every youth player coming through these teams will be a world class talent and that two years isn't going to achieve anything notable, but the setup strikes me as slightly disingenuous.