What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

5 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I like a bit of music before games and after the final whistle. We have these great big screens at Tynecastle now, and I was a bit worried we were going to have a constant stream of adverts like someone left the telly on in the living room, but it is not the case thankfully. It’s tunes through the tannoy 90% of the time, with notices and adverts with no volume on the screens. 

Goal celebration music can get GTF

When we won the Championship against Arbroath it was the best prolonged atmosphere I’ve heard at RP and I thought the instant music at full time killed it a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

When we won the Championship against Arbroath it was the best prolonged atmosphere I’ve heard at RP and I thought the instant music at full time killed it a bit. 

Interesting point. I still have great memories every time I hear the songs that were played post final whistle at the three winning Scottish Cup finals I was at though. As soon as I hear Carnaval De Paris, or Levels for example, I am transported back to a sunny day in May where I was really happy. I also love hearing The Silencers: What a Beautiful Day, or Hey Jude by the Beatles. ❤️

Edited by Kyle Reese

16 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Perfectly valid point though it looked like the argument was whether there should be checks at all rather than the quality of them.

Aye it is. I tend to look at things through a big picture type lens and the acceptance of fewer civil liberties in the name of safety is something I'm seeing more often and is something which should be a greater cause for alarm. It's not "the end of the world" but part of a slippery slope. It's also overkill and part of the over-policing of football supporters. 

The first time I ever got searched (not patted down) was in Switzerland. They just used scanners which, while a little strange, didn't feel as intrusive as a stranger putting his hands on me. I'm not that touch sensitive but I'm big on boundaries and bodily sovereignty and I don't believe I should surrender that just because of the possibility that someone may or may not get in with a flare. 

First time I'd ever been patted down to get into the fitba was away to Dundee in the Ravanelli season. Can't be bothered to check when that was exactly but I'm assuming it was in the aftermath of 9/11 when spurious levels of security were getting added to things . I get that it would be hard to argue against " extra levels of security " in this day and age but to echo @velo army it really feels like it's just crept into being an accepted norm for everything these days . I mean one of the last big events I got searched going into was a Brian Cox show at the hydro, I mean bodily search of every person attending an oversized science lecture seems a bit unnecessary for me!

Also regarding the folk getting into events with contraband despite the pat down , I can't think of any scenario where a spotty 17 year old in a 4 sizes too big G4S jacket will be responsible for averting a human tragedy , I think it's just the threat of the search that is used as a deterrant . 

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I have a wee Leatherman multitool with a razor sharp blade attached to my keyring 

Only time I remove it is to go through airport security tbqhwy.

Do you actually get to take that on board a flight ok? 

I used to have a Leatherman multitool but stopped carrying it as I live in Paisley. 😂 

Maybe I should start again as they are really really useful. 

10 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

I was in a group of four at Hampden and I was the youngest there at 44. The boy literally patted my inside pocket where the hip-flask was. :lol:

Years ago (2005 - we won 2-0) at Celtic Park, the boy patting me down found my glasses case and asked me to open it. I didn't wear glasses at the time.

Upon seeing the four spliffs inside he just said "Thanks, son, on you go".

To this day I have no idea whether he even looked or simply didn't give a f**k. I also don't know what the f**k happened to my usual pre-match routine of moving them from the case (ease of transport) to the inside of my trainer (security for getting in). It really was amateur hour stuff from me. Celtic Park was always a high risk for searching, like Pittodrie. Still, all's well that ends well.

They should bring back smoking at the fitba. It's much better chonged out your tits.

Edited by VincentGuerin

10 hours ago, Molotov said:

Do you actually get to take that on board a flight ok? 

I used to have a Leatherman multitool but stopped carrying it as I live in Paisley. 😂 

Maybe I should start again as they are really really useful. 

No, sorry I wasnt clear - I mean I take it off the keys and leave it in the house before going to the airport.

They are really useful (mines the Squirt) although the scissors keep breaking, poorly engineered - which is a surprise. My son has a wee Gerber one but imv its too chunky.

16 hours ago, velo army said:

You definitely don't get searched going into the theatre, and you don't get searched going into the rugby. There's a bovine acceptance of erosions of rights that makes me queasy. A few lads occasionally setting off flares shouldn't necessitate or excuse people being pawed at by strangers. 

Yes you do, it's the same kind of half arsed pat down Kyle was talking about where they are almost actively trying not to find anything, but it happens at all the pro games in Scotland.

Saw an interesting thing last season when arriving at Pittodrie (late). There was the usual line of stewards to search you, but there were also a couple of police officers there. One of the police asked to see in the bag of a guy walking in in another group from me and the lad responded by basically quoting him chapter and verse on why he would not be showing the police officer anything at all, but was happy to show the steward.

I assume he was some kind of legal professional (could just have been someone who knew his stuff, but he was very confident and assertive), but the police officer tried to argue with him and was switfly TELT by a line of questions about why he was requesting to search him. The police laddie looked quite young, so was maybe quite exciteable and green, but he was eventually talked down by his colleague.

Must say, I'd probably just have opened my bag if asked, but I suppose it's good to be up on your rights.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yes you do, it's the same kind of half arsed pat down Kyle was talking about where they are almost actively trying not to find anything, but it happens at all the pro games in Scotland.

To be fair, at the rugby they’re probably checking to see if you have a pint glass on you. If you haven’t, they hand one to you to make sure you can participate in the half time cocks in pints frivolities.

On searching/pat downs, I think it’s pretty pointless if you don’t search everyone going through the gate.

I usually go to games with my old man, and I can’t remember the exact ground (might’ve been Firhill) but my dad walked past the steward with no more than a wee nod. Steward steps in front of me and says “quick search pal” and pats me down. 

Seemed a bit odd when we’re clearly together 

Re: music at games - I'm pretty sure it's to try and block out any words like "bum" or "semprini" being caught on the microphones around the pitch.

I was searched several times during the Hearts/Hibs/The Rangers season in the Championship, presumably because the security staff at The Recs had nosebleeds from the rarified atmosphere we were in, and hadn't been trained in performing ocular pat downs, which must surely be the standard these days.

Incidentally, I normally had a Stanley knife on me as I was coming straight from work, but it was never mentioned so I presume they were looking for counterfeit programs or something.

31 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

On searching/pat downs, I think it’s pretty pointless if you don’t search everyone going through the gate.

I usually go to games with my old man, and I can’t remember the exact ground (might’ve been Firhill) but my dad walked past the steward with no more than a wee nod. Steward steps in front of me and says “quick search pal” and pats me down. 

Seemed a bit odd when we’re clearly together 

At the league cup semi a few weeks ago, at the first entrance we walked by the young team were getting thorough airport style pat downs from the stewards there. We went through the next gate along (the adjacent block) and they weren’t searching anybody at all.

Seemed a bit bizarre when you can literally stroll to the next section inside with no checks.

19 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Can youngsters be searched by stewards without the consent of an adult?

If not it makes the searches completely pointless, as this demographic takes the pyro into Dens.

No. If they say "I'm 15" then they aren't supposed to search, unless they ask and are permitted. Strangely they ask the U16 rather than the adult (although, half of the time there is no adult). 

Although, that's at cappielow. The stewards here are at the harsher end of the scale, I would think.

19 hours ago, velo army said:

Just to be perfectly clear here I've been going to the football for a good 37 years now and the first time I was searched at a Scottish game (not including a bag check, which was always quite understandable tbh) was at the Scotland v Israel game post lockdown. I've been searched at Hampden every time since. It's very much a new thing. I've never been searched at Firhill or at any away ground. It's interesting that this happened in the 70's and 80's.

If it happened in the 70s and 80s (which it did), it's by definition not 'very much a new thing'.

A new thing for you, perhaps, but that's not really the same thing.

18 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Interesting point. I still have great memories every time I hear the songs that were played post final whistle at the three winning Scottish Cup finals I was at though. As soon as I hear Carnaval De Paris, or Levels for example, I am transported back to a sunny day in May where I was really happy. I also love hearing The Silencers: What a Beautiful Day, or Hey Jude by the Beatles. ❤️

Agreed.

That new boy at Tynecastle playing EDM and techno at half time can GTF though.

19 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

On the other hand Scott Wilson's habit of playing Andrew Gold's 1978 hit "Thank you for being a friend" (The theme from the Golden Girls) after a Hearts defeat means it's now permanently tinged with an air of melancholy that makes Leonard Cohen seem cheery by comparison

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)