Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Is there a precedent of a country simply packing it's national team up into a box, stuffing it in the attic and thinking "It's been a blast, lads"?

Actually apparently in the late 70s or early 80s Sweden were shit at everything and nearly did that.  Instead invested in facilities etc and got good.  So I remember hearing somewhere anyway, could be pish.

There's a wonderful John Hughes interview in the Record today which has to be seen to be believed:
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-hughes-reveals-would-manage-11995346
John Hughes admits he’s so desperate to land the Scotland job he is willing to do it for nothing.
The former Falkirk, Hibs and Inverness boss has already made contact with SFA vice-president Rod Petrie in a bid to get his name in the frame.
Fierce patriot Hughes feels he deserves an interview and that he should be considered a serious candidate for the post.
The 53-year-old is adamant he is exactly what the Scotland team needs and reckons he is the right man to end our 20-year major finals drought.
Hughes insists he has spent his managerial career getting the best out of what was already at his disposal and claims he has only ever spent £240,000.
He said: “I feel I deserve an interview for the Scotland job.
“I certainly deserve to be treated as a serious candidate. Why should John Hughes not get an interview?
“I want the job for the right reasons. I will do it for nothing. I am very patriotic.
“I totally understand the expectations of the nation and believe I could manage them. “I have ducked, dived and begged, borrowed and stole my whole managerial career. I have only spent £240,000 in my whole managerial career.
“Gordon Strachan did a great job and we were getting results towards the end of the World Cup campaign – I believe I could continue that.
“That is my blueprint. I could get the best out of what is already there. That is what Scotland need right now.
“We cannot sign players so you have to get the best out of what is there.

I dont know where to start with this. He won the Scottish cup with Inverness yet the fans still see him as a failure. That's how shit he is.

2 hours ago, Worktheshaft said:

I dont know where to start with this. He won the Scottish cup with Inverness yet the fans still see him as a failure. That's how shit he is.

His interviews while manager of Raith Rovers convinced me that he now lives in a Purple Tin.

Archived