Aberdeen V Kilmarnock

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

image.png.cb2f9b2369ea19d5b96ecffc73138e46.png

Especially frustrating not to win a game when one of your own players is doubling up as the referee. 

Lol.

As to Steven McLean, I think his dad played for Killie did he no ?

Steve Clarke is tactically superior to McInnes. Killie will win the replay.
It's really not going well for us at the moment. There's a fair amount of change needed, and did he really take Christie off and put nwakali on near the end...[emoji46]

I thought Christie had a shocker of a game - should have been subbed earlier

Steve Clarke is flavour of the month, is he better than McInnes tactically?

Too many Aberdeen fans seem to think get rid of McInnes and Clarke will improve us. I doubt with our budget that another manager would do better McInnes has achieved.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

That was pretty brutal stuff. Some decent enough if unsensational play from Aberdeen in the first half, but dire all round in the second. Draw probably the fairest outcome. 

To be honest, we aren't very enjoyable to watch at the moment. Yes, the utter state of the Pittodrie pitch doesn't help matters, but we looked bereft of ideas and inspiration after Kilmarnock's equaliser. We have an excellent record at Rugby Park under McInnes, but you would have thought that today represented our best chance of winning the tie, both because we were at home and Mulumbu wasn't available for Kilmarnock. 

On the subject of individual players, I have a few concerns. Logan is having a poor season, and he was partially at fault for another opposition goal today - he has been just as bad as Considine since August, but at least he has good #bantz on Twitter. I like Arnason, but his best days are well gone now. I don't want to waste time complaining about O'Connor, he's just shite. McGinn didn't make much of an impact on the game. Christie has been blowing hot and cold for a while now. McLean didn't do much. Shinnie was our best player and we would have probably lost the game without him, but we missed his tenacity in the middle of the park. McKenna was decent. 

Alas, I just can't see this Aberdeen team keeping pace with Rangers, who have recruited well and improved since the break. Also, on today's evidence, even if we do win the replay, we won't have what it takes to beat Celtic and/or Rangers to win the Scottish Cup. All I can hope is that I am proved wrong between now and the end of the season. 

Sums things up pretty well. 

Logan's having a down spell, Arnason looks slow and uninterested and McGinn should be docked a week's wages for hardly bothering to turn up the day. 

At least for the replay, Shinnie will be back in midfield and surely Mcinnes won't be stupid enough to play a half fit Stevie May or push Rooney out wide in midfield. 

As you said, winning this quarter final will almost certainly lead us to a humping at Hampden in the semi-final. We need to find our mojo again. 

52 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Hi Elixir. Enjoy your afternoon at Fir Park. Oh, wait a minute, you don’t go to games.

Jokes on you - I always have a guaranteed brief for games of importance. 4U0m6pP.png

LoL at Boyds celebration.
Has the penny not dropped with fans of other clubs yet? 

Slag Boydie off all you want, by all means wind him up but, more often than not, he WILL score against you.

PS.... Today was goal number 17 of the season, taking him equal 6th with Bud Maxwell's 124 on the all time Killie top scorers list, next up is Bertie Black on 129. I'd imagine that record will go before the season ends given his current form.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Has the penny not dropped with fans of other clubs yet? 

Slag Boydie off all you want, by all means wind him up but, more often than not, he WILL score against you.

PS.... Today was goal number 17 of the season, taking him equal 6th with Bud Maxwell's 124 on the all time Killie top scorers list, next up is Bertie Black on 129. I'd imagine that record will go before the season ends given his current form.

I'm happy enough for him to score as long as his pretty awful 'winning' record with Killie against Aberdeen continues.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm happy enough for him to score as long as his pretty awful 'winning' record with Killie against Aberdeen continues.

Not as bad as Aberdeen's 'winning' record against the Old Firm.

Yesterday was just a summary of where we are at the moment and given the substantial increase in wage McInnes got for staying last summer, how much he is underperforming.

Much as most people have said previously: Des is shite full stop, Christie was utterly anonymous, May was hopeless, Arnason is finished as a player, Woodman my word he's average as f**k and keeping Rogers out the team is laughable, Logan is utterly complacent. McLean was poor but given his recent form and the two players beside him having nightmares, I'll excuse him.

Now to McInnes. Continually this season it has been proven time after time that without Shinnie in the centre of the park we are utterly rudderless. So rather than play Harvie or Reynolds at left back to keep our strength in the middle of the park, he moves his best player to a position he can barely influence the game from. Then when it is blatantly obvious to everyone after 15 minutes that a similar move needs to be made, not a thing is done the whole match.

DM didn't even make all three subs despite us playing terribly and even when he made subs it was too late. Having stood behind the dugouts yesterday, the difference between DM and Clarke was notable. DM was quite slow with his subs and got very emotionally invested in the match. Clarke by contrast generally was quite reserved and thoughtful taking a step back analytically, while being sharp with his subs. In fact Clarke barely shouted, he tended to make small tactical tweaks by confiding in his players who would then pass it on. Very different styles, notably different and Clarke seemed to get it spot on.

At the end McInnes looked unhappy at the crowd for deservedly booing the team off, that he expected anything different is stunning.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, Fide said:

Not as bad as Aberdeen's 'winning' record against the Old Firm.

Aberdeen beat Rangers twice last season.  Not that it's relevant in any shape or form to Killie's pathetic record against Aberdeen. 

But cheers for trying. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Yesterday was just a summary of where we are at the moment and given the substantial increase in wage McInnes got for staying last summer, how much he is underperforming.

Much as most people have said previously: Des is shite full stop, Christie was utterly anonymous, May was hopeless, Arnason is finished as a player, Woodman my word he's average as f**k and keeping Rogers out the team is laughable, Logan is utterly complacent. McLean was poor but given his recent form and the two players beside him having nightmares, I'll excuse him.

Now to McInnes. Continually this season it has been proven time after time that without Shinnie in the centre of the park we are utterly rudderless. So rather than play Harvie or Reynolds at left back to keep our strength in the middle of the park, he moves his best player to a position he can barely influence the game from. Then when it is blatantly obvious to everyone after 15 minutes that a similar move needs to be made, not a thing is done the whole match.

DM didn't even make all three subs despite us playing terribly and even when he made subs it was too late. Having stood behind the dugouts yesterday, the difference between DM and Clarke was notable. DM was quite slow with his subs and got very emotionally invested in the match. Clarke by contrast generally was quite reserved and thoughtful taking a step back analytically, while being sharp with his subs. In fact Clarke barely shouted, he tended to make small tactical tweaks by confiding in his players who would then pass it on. Very different styles, notably different and Clarke seemed to get it spot on.

At the end McInnes looked unhappy at the crowd for deservedly booing the team off, that he expected anything different is stunning.

I actually thought McLean was excellent first half. Totally strolled through the game and was the only player on the park who tried to control and pass the ball. 

While I agree that we've lost our mojo at the moment and are not playing well, I'd also point out that for all your praise of Clarke Killie were utterly brutal for 40 minutes yesterday and against a more confident Dons side would have been out of the cup by half time. 

They got better because they had to get better, but never at one point really created a clear cut chance or put our goal under any threat. Their penalty came from comical defending by Aberdeen and after they equalised I still believed (maybe foolishly) that the only team likely to win the game was Aberdeen. 

I agree that they're organised and stuffy and better than they were 4 months ago. And in general in Scottish football that's enough to get you a mid-table position. But I didn't see anything in the slightest from the much lauded Clarke yesterday that suggests that he 'out-thought' McInnes. They were as poor as we were. 

I may be wrong in this but I honestly believe being away from that horrendous surface at Pittodrie will help us. We generally like playing at Rugby Park and I'm more confident of us getting a result there than I was yesterday. 

I actually thought McLean was excellent first half. Totally strolled through the game and was the only player on the park who tried to control and pass the ball. 
While I agree that we've lost our mojo at the moment and are not playing well, I'd also point out that for all your praise of Clarke Killie were utterly brutal for 40 minutes yesterday and against a more confident Dons side would have been out of the cup by half time. 
They got better because they had to get better, but never at one point really created a clear cut chance or put our goal under any threat. Their penalty came from comical defending by Aberdeen and after they equalised I still believed (maybe foolishly) that the only team likely to win the game was Aberdeen. 
I agree that they're organised and stuffy and better than they were 4 months ago. And in general in Scottish football that's enough to get you a mid-table position. But I didn't see anything in the slightest from the much lauded Clarke yesterday that suggests that he 'out-thought' McInnes. They were as poor as we were. 
I may be wrong in this but I honestly believe being away from that horrendous surface at Pittodrie will help us. We generally like playing at Rugby Park and I'm more confident of us getting a result there than I was yesterday. 

Wow, I certainly watched a different game from you yesterday. I do however totally agree with the horrendous surface, not as bad as swinecastle but still shocking for the top league, plastic anyone...................?

Archived