Partick Thistle vs Aberdeen

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

After 28 matches one of the  “bottlejobs” is second bottom and the other third top. Interesting theory.

Aberdeen have been the second force in Scotland in recent years because of your ability to consistently win run of the mill league games against mid-table and relegation threatened sides. The ‘bottlejobs’ tag comes about because of your dreadful record against Celtic and Rangers and because of your tendency to shite it in big games like Semi-Finals, Finals and European games. You even managed to throw away second place on the last game of the season in 2014. Your manager also has a habit of sending out uninspiring, negative sides in these fixtures which points to a lack of bottle.

McIness’ reign as manager has been Aberdeen’s most successful era since what, the early 90’s? Yet all you have to show for it  is a solitary League Cup which was won thanks to a penalty shoot-out. 

We are bottle merchants simply because there isn’t another club in the country or even in the world that enjoys chucking in an agonising late goal as much as we do. I genuinely can’t think of a single team that we’ve come up against since promotion who haven’t benefitted from this in some way or another.

Edited to add, I don’t think we’ve actually conceded a last gasp goal to Aberdeen over the past few years.

We all know what will happen on Saturday now^_^

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Some Thistle fans on the AFC boards suggesting the Aitken Lounge for away fans pre match.

Is it as cordial and welcoming an invitation as it sounds, or is it a clever trap?

It's a fine child friendly option as well as having satellite tv for whatever game is on early. Food available too.

A lot of away fans go to Munns which is a tip  but relatively cheap. Star and Garter on Garscube road used to be popular too. Now largely boycotted by Thistle fans due to staff singing Rangers after a game.

Woodside Inn at Queens X is popular with Thistle fans and away fans. Does food and has satellite too.

That's the local options but you're not far from Byres Road (Ashton Lane) or the city centre. Plenty of transport options from all over.

Aberdeen have been the second force in Scotland in recent years because of your ability to consistently win run of the mill league games against mid-table and relegation threatened sides. The ‘bottlejobs’ tag comes about because of your dreadful record against Celtic and Rangers and because of your tendency to shite it in big games like Semi-Finals, Finals and European games. You even managed to throw away second place on the last game of the season in 2014. Your manager also has a habit of sending out uninspiring, negative sides in these fixtures which points to a lack of bottle.
McIness’ reign as manager has been Aberdeen’s most successful era since what, the early 90’s? Yet all you have to show for it  is a solitary League Cup which was won thanks to a penalty shoot-out. 
We are bottle merchants simply because there isn’t another club in the country or even in the world that enjoys chucking in an agonising late goal. I genuinely can’t think of a single team what we’ve game up against since promotion who haven’t benefitted from this in some way or another.

Whilst I wouldn’t deny our bottle merchant tag I feel compelled to take you up on a few things here.

I can’t think of many European games where we’ve bottled it. Apollon limassol away maybe but they are a decent side. Real sociedad and kairat are/we’re also good sides. Maribor we would’ve knocked out had we had the break of the ball.

Under mcinnes we’ve only lost two semi finals. St Johnstone on another day we’d have been 2 or 3 up before they equalised and United admittedly was a bit meh.

We bottled the league cup final but don’t think you can say the same for the Scottish last season.

Our record against the old firm this season however is indefensible.

46 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

It's a fine child friendly option as well as having satellite tv for whatever game is on early. Food available too.

A lot of away fans go to Munns which is a tip  but relatively cheap. Star and Garter on Garscube road used to be popular too. Now largely boycotted by Thistle fans due to staff singing Rangers after a game.

Woodside Inn at Queens X is popular with Thistle fans and away fans. Does food and has satellite too.

That's the local options but you're not far from Byres Road (Ashton Lane) or the city centre. Plenty of transport options from all over.

I quite like Coopers along Great Western Road, been there a handful of times post-match. Usually a fair few Thistle tops on show too so I'd say they're pretty relaxed about football colours. Place is nice and spacious so there's normally a good bit of room and they've got massive screens for whatever rugby and football is on.

Closer to Firhill I really like the Strathmore since it's been done up, although it can get a bit cramped on matchdays - can sometimes get vouchers on Itison for the food, too.  If I've got the time pre-match I'm a huge fan of the Strathy burger they do (nice thick beefburger with caramalised onions, bacon and cheese, along with chips + a smoky sauce on the side. Unff.)

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Whilst I wouldn’t deny our bottle merchant tag I feel compelled to take you up on a few things here.

I can’t think of many European games where we’ve bottled it. Apollon limassol away maybe but they are a decent side. Real sociedad and kairat are/we’re also good sides. Maribor we would’ve knocked out had we had the break of the ball.

Under mcinnes we’ve only lost two semi finals. St Johnstone on another day we’d have been 2 or 3 up before they equalised and United admittedly was a bit meh.

We bottled the league cup final but don’t think you can say the same for the Scottish last season.

Our record against the old firm this season however is indefensible.

If we were luckier or did better, we'd be luckier or better too.  

3 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Some Thistle fans on the AFC boards suggesting the Aitken Lounge for away fans pre match.

Is it as cordial and welcoming an invitation as it sounds, or is it a clever trap?

Been in here a couple of times before an Aberdeen match, and, although not the most inspiring of places, perfect for a drink, something to eat and watching whatever match is on TV. Then about 30 seconds walk to the turnstile. Hot food can take some time to prepare though.

Aberdeen fans must love us, means they get a trip to Glasgow without any of the attendant shite that comes with visiting the other two Premiership grounds in the city, and it's our team's collective arsehole that collapses when the AFC team bus goes under the railway bridge over the M80 at Provanmill, and not theirs.

Haven't been to Aitken Suite for ages now, my main issue with it was always how long it took to get served (queue system rather than a standard bar setup), which wasn't really anything on the staff, just they never seemed to have enough pumps for an audience that's mainly wanting pints. Did think they could grab a couple of ice buckets and set up a separate bottle bar in the corner of the room for folk wanting to avoid the long queues but I've never worked in a bar so don't know how practical that is.

Match Facts

Aberdeen have won their last 8 matches against Partick Thistle in all competitions. Aberdeen win1.80
Partick Thistle have seen over 2.5 goals in their last 4 home matches against Aberdeen in all competitions. Over 2.5 goals2.07
Aberdeen have scored at least 2 goals in their last 5 away matches against Partick Thistle in all competitions. Over 1.5 goals1.33
Partick Thistle have lost their last 3 home matches (Premiership). Partick Thistle lose1.80
Aberdeen have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 4 away matches (Premiership). Over 1.5 goals1.33

Partick Thistle have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 3home matches (Premiership).

0-0 draw then folks? :angel

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:17, kingjoey said:

Big game for both teams. McKay-Steven to be back for us. Keep Shinnie at left back with Consi on the bench.

Dear god please no. Our midfield was so pathetic last week with Shinnie out of it. I'd rather not do that again, as much as AC is a carthorse.

Woodman; Logan, Arnason, McKenna, Considine; McLean, Shinnie; McGinn, Christie, Mackay-Steven; Rooney.

That would probably be my preferred team, although with a few close calls. As has been said above, Considine's inclusion is not ideal, but it is preferable to missing Shinnie's presence in midfield. I have my issues with Rooney, but he probably represents more of a direct goal threat than May at the moment. O'Connor is dire, but McInnes will likely play him instead of Arnason (who also has been poor lately).

Expecting a close, narrow game either way. 2-1 Dons. 

I could see us slipping up here.

Apathy amongst a big portion of the support is as high as it has been under mcinnes. I really hate our support sometimes as the negativity can feed its way onto the pitch. We really aren’t in that bad a position in the grand scheme of things.

Here’s hoping a good solid win to get folk back on side but not sure it’ll happen.

Archived