The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, I understand it from fans from other clubs but hearing our own fans perpetuating the myth is so annoying.

Also, where did £250k come from?

As far as I'm aware it's just media bs. I haven't seen anything from the manager or the club stating that's what our asking price is. 

Every single player in our team is worth more than £250k to us at the moment. We have an excellent team spirit, we have players who love playing together, and it appears they are all on the same wave length and understand their roles inside out.

Scottish League cup run, Championship survival / play offs / winning the league, plus the Scottish still to come, are all worth one hell of a lot more than £250k and the potential ramifications of splitting this team up at this early stage of it's development.

Who gives a toss what the sevco fans think ? They're not exactly renowned for their brain power and they'd be better sticking to what they do best, ie, attacking women and children and singing offensive songs at anyone and everyone plus not to forget the hero worshiping of a useless foreigner who's been dead for over 300 years.......................
I thought it was the Chelsea fans doing that lol

Pretty lazy reporting on the radio coming home last night. All about Shankland's goals and then about him leaving before the transfer window closes.  Completely overlooks the fact that this was about as good a team performance as you could get. Every single player made a significant contribution.

Key things for me:

- players who were at Ayr last season have to a man stepped up their level of performance this season. Vindicates the decision to hold on to the squad and, as a consequence, we've hit the ground running. In a tough league that might just be key.

- the team ethic is terrific. The entire team defend from Shankland and Moffat back. That takes pressure of the back four, who have been strong when called on.

- tactics. I wasn't sure about defending as narrowly and at times Geggan had a fair way to get out to his man, but credit where credit is due, Dundee always wanted to come back inside.

- squad strength. That was some bench yesterday. We'll pick up injuries and some will hit us harder than others, but we seem better placed than I can remember for decades to be able to cope.

Interesting from McCall in the Sun last night.

Said that Shankland has proved absolutely nothing this season. As anyone who knows anything about football already knew how good he was.

Also says that we’ve turned down 2 or 3 bids so far so the Fylde bid wasn’t the only one. The board want to keep him though so he’s hoping that any bid will be turned down.

Said that Shankland has proved absolutely nothing this season. As anyone who knows anything about football already knew how good he was.

Also says that we’ve turned down 2 or 3 bids so far so the Fylde bid wasn’t the only one. The board want to keep him though so he’s hoping that any bid will be turned down.
My only concern with Shankland is the situation with Hearts and Lafferty they obviously had an interest at the end of last season and if Lafferty goes Rangers they might come back for him, personally I think unless Rangers come in for Shankland (and I don't believe they have or will) he's going to be here until the end of the season, he's already got 11 goals so you would expect 20 plus now he's going to a target for clubs in the champ down south or Rangers we all know he's a blue nose so maybe that's what he's hoping for.

We simply MUST hold onto him for the season.

This season could be historic.

Worst case scenario, even IF we ONLY just stay up on the last game of the season, it will have been worth it.

We need to build up again as a club, with a bigger support, which will take time, but will not happen in league 1.

Only a cracking at bigger teams, going for promotion to the top league and playing good football, over time, will see that happen. 

It has to be sustained.

If Shanks goes, the rest might start looking elsewhere too, especially if the goals were to dry up, even for a short period.

We have such a winning mentality throughout a gifted squad but, as with any great team, there is usually a figurehead.

We must not let him go, not now, it's not time yet. He will go eventually, and he knows that, and we all know that, but he also knows he owes us one.

And, make sure you drag all your family and friends to the game on Saturday.

Bet on Shankland to score anytime, that should cover the costs of the entry fee.

We NEED to support this team, we need this team. It is our drug!

24 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He's correct to a point but Shankland has added so much more to his game this season.

I think the fact that Shankland was deemed good enough to make 17 first team appearances for a pretty good Aberdeen side at the tender age of 19 should knock on the head this nonsense of "I, but can he do it at a higher level" as It's pretty clear that the people who make these nonsensical statements know nothing about his history.

As said though, it's not just about Lawrence, our style of play appears to suit our players perfectly and our fast attacking with slick passing will always create chances for whoever is playing as our #9, everyone seems to have forgotten Craig Moore's 35 goals for us last season and of course the huge contribution that all our support players such as Robbie, Moff, Forrest etc are making.

I also believe the distribution of our young keeper has made a huge difference and again fits perfectly with our Barca like style of play.

It's got be onwards and upwards from here and roll on the draw later today, as I genuinely believe we have nothing to fear from anyone.......................

Hearts watched Shankland last season, could have had him for free in the summer and didn't go for him *or they did and he knocked it back), why would they spend £250k plus on him now ? Aberdeen free'd him a year ago, they aren't going to pay money to take him back. Hibs don't need him. No one else who would like him can't afford him and probably wouldn't turn his head.

The only danger I think we have of losing him is if either a foreign club from somewhere that interests him comes in or Rangers make a bid, I don't think the latter will happen because they will likely sign Lafferty and that will be more of a marquee signing than Shankland. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think the fact that Shankland was deemed good enough to make 17 first team appearances for a pretty good Aberdeen side at the tender age of 19 should knock on the head this nonsense of "I, but can he do it at a higher level" as It's pretty clear that the people who make these nonsensical statements know nothing about his history.

As said though, it's not just about Lawrence, our style of play appears to suit our players perfectly and our fast attacking with slick passing will always create chances for whoever is playing as our #9, everyone seems to have forgotten Craig Moore's 35 goals for us last season and of course the huge contribution that all our support players such as Robbie, Moff, Forrest etc are making.

I also believe the distribution of our young keeper has made a huge difference and again fits perfectly with our Barca like style of play.

It's got be onwards and upwards from here and roll on the draw later today, as I genuinely believe we have nothing to fear from anyone.......................

If Killie go out today I'd love a crack at Rangers at the Stadium of Delight, a great chance to see if we've got what it takes and a chance for a lot more locals to watch us strutting our stuff, we'll happily take their cash for the rest of the season to watch their wee team.

Hearts away would be great. Not sure I can be arsed with having the old firm circus in town. Saying that, would happily take their money.

There would probably be a bigger crowd at Ibrox than Celtic park for a quarter final. Rangers fans seem to be up for it just now. Celtic fans won't be interested till the final

42 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
57 minutes ago, D said:

My only concern with Shankland is the situation with Hearts and Lafferty they obviously had an interest at the end of last season and if Lafferty goes Rangers they might come back for him, personally I think unless Rangers come in for Shankland (and I don't believe they have or will) he's going to be here until the end of the season, he's already got 11 goals so you would expect 20 plus now he's going to a target for clubs in the champ down south or Rangers we all know he's a blue nose so maybe that's what he's hoping for.

The more I think about Hearts, the less worried I am.  They think Rangers £200k bid for Lafferty was derisory so let's assume they negotiate them up to £400k and sell.  They then approach Ayr for Shankland and the conversation starts something like 'you valued your 30 year old striker in the final year of his deal at £400k, how much more is our 23 year old worth? Oh, and by the way, what about add-ons and a sell-on fee?'  I think it's a fairly short conversation.

There was a big piece in the Mail yesterday about Shankland which was basically a full page interview about him starting out at QP  right through to now with us.

He was quoted as saying he "wasn't dying to leave Ayr" but he also "wasn't dying to stay at Ayr" and was just enjoying his football and taking everything as it came.

He also reiterated that he re-signed for us in the summer because he felt he owed something to the club and McCall for resurrecting his career.

Reading between the lines, it looks to me as if he could leave in January or even before if a decent offer was accepted by the club and was also attractive to him. I hope I'm wrong but it seemed like a situation where he's only looking at the short term with us but is also repaying us by ensuring we get a decent fee for him.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

There was a big piece in the Mail yesterday about Shankland which was basically a full page interview about him starting out at QP  right through to now with us.

He was quoted as saying he "wasn't dying to leave Ayr" but he also "wasn't dying to stay at Ayr" and was just enjoying his football and taking everything as it came.

He also reiterated that he re-signed for us in the summer because he felt he owed something to the club and McCall for resurrecting his career.

Reading between the lines, it looks to me as if he could leave in January or even before if a decent offer was accepted by the club and was also attractive to him. I hope I'm wrong but it seemed like a situation where he's only looking at the short term with us but is also repaying us by ensuring we get a decent fee for him.

Football fans have always tended to be fooled by badge kissers, so to me Shankland is just being honest.  He signed for Ayr because he figured it was the right move in the short term after 3 lost seasons at Aberdeen, but in the end, he wants to better himself so isn’t going to kid anyone on that Ayr is the only club he’s ever wanted to play for.  I still think he’d have better options if he waited for a move under freedom of contract, but if Hearts came in with a serious offer, it would be hard for him to say no.

4 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Football fans have always tended to be fooled by badge kissers, so to me Shankland is just being honest.  He signed for Ayr because he figured it was the right move in the short term after 3 lost seasons at Aberdeen, but in the end, he wants to better himself so isn’t going to kid anyone on that Ayr is the only club he’s ever wanted to play for.  I still think he’d have better options if he waited for a move under freedom of contract, but if Hearts came in with a serious offer, it would be hard for him to say no.

Yes, you're probably right, the likes of Le tissier with Southampton, Wullie Irvine with Alloa and Stephen Dobbie at QOS are among the few exceptions to this.

Still, We can just enjoy Shanks as long as he's her,e and whatever comes, he's continuing to do his best for us, which is all anyone can ask................

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

How many time have you seen a player get a wee bit of success and get his head turned and performances dropped that hasn't happend with Shankland, he's defo not going to be with us this time next year let's just take off as it comes

Unless we go up!