The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I know he wasn't the most prolific last season, but would anyone take Andrew Nelson who has just left Dundee.

I'm sure Kerr has identified players that he wants to bring in already, but it could be another one to the list. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

38 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Never mind QOS with their "this love will last forever" flag for Dobbie, could you imagine a big flag with the Moff in this exact pose and gown, and perhaps the Ayr badge in the background? Would be an absolute belter!

Great shout, I'm not normally one for flags! 👏

16 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I know he wasn't the most prolific last season, but would anyone take Andrew Nelson who has just left Dundee.

I'm sure Kerr has identified players that he wants to bring in already, but it could be another one to the list. 

I would take Nelson but expect he may be out of our price bracket. Is he not quite versatile as well? I seem to recall him playing on the wing.

Ohhh wait... I'm starting to sound like the Dunfermline fan talking about McManus. 

I liked Nelson. He was the explosive striker that'd get you excited, but he never seemed to deliver. Became 3rd choice striker behind Hemmings & Danny Johnson then was moved to the wing when he did get on which just isn't for him.

Lot of off field rumours about him which if true, will spell the end for his career if he doesn't get his act together, but overall I'm quite sad he's gone, but there'll be a few that aren't. Second touch is a tackle and that severely hindered any progress with us.  It looks like he wasn't wanting to agree to our reduced terms so wherever he goes I expect he'll be expecting to be the established number one striker and have wages that reflect that.

Can't see a Prem team taking a punt on him (Could be wrong, of course) so he'll either be with a club in this division, Falkirk or back down South. I'd expect the latter tbh.

I liked Nelson. He was the explosive striker that'd get you excited, but he never seemed to deliver. Became 3rd choice striker behind Hemmings & Danny Johnson then was moved to the wing when he did get on which just isn't for him.
Lot of off field rumours about him which if true, will spell the end for his career if he doesn't get his act together, but overall I'm quite sad he's gone, but there'll be a few that aren't. Second touch is a tackle and that severely hindered any progress with us.  It looks like he wasn't wanting to agree to our reduced terms so wherever he goes I expect he'll be expecting to be the established number one striker and have wages that reflect that.
Can't see a Prem team taking a punt on him (Could be wrong, of course) so he'll either be with a club in this division, Falkirk or back down South. I'd expect the latter tbh.

Just out of interest what off the field rumours are there?

If other managers get wind of it then he’ll maybe have some convincing to do to get a team.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If other managers get wind of it then he’ll maybe have some convincing to do to get a team.

@Mr. Alli

Edited by Ludo*1

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

On a totally unrelated note, how great was this scene? 

al pacino drugs GIF

I don't get it with Nelson, he's shite anyway. He seems to run around allot but he doesn't score goals which as a striker isn't great, while the other parts of his game seem w**k aswell, poor first touch, not an especially tricky player etc. You can accept a player like the Moff not scoring plenty because he's so talented on the ball and an intelligent player. 

My post earlier about it has gone with the wind (not by me) so I'm loathe to repeat if mods are worried about it. 

No worries then

I can probably guess for myself what it might be if a post about it was removed.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

while the other parts of his game seem w**k aswell, poor first touch

That was my bug bear with him. He's competent enough at passing, has a fairly good shot and will track, tackle and hassle all day. 

He gets so many stupid bookings though because his first touch let's him down so often. 

On a totally unrelated note, how great was this scene? 
200.gif&key=791a846c4a59b2bc4eebeac8070a20730fe50076bdf11eefd819457bb99d3382

I don't get it with Nelson, he's shite anyway. He seems to run around allot but he doesn't score goals which as a striker isn't great, while the other parts of his game seem w**k aswell, poor first touch, not an especially tricky player etc. You can accept a player like the Moff not scoring plenty because he's so talented on the ball and an intelligent player. 

I don’t understand Moffat. He was clinical and scored loads before signing for Dunfermline. He was always good on the ball with us previously but going full time just took him to another level. If he was still as clinical as he was in his first spell with us whilst keeping his excelling link up play and movement then he’d be the best striker in this league.

Given we’ve already got Moore and Mark McKenzie is likely going to step up from the youth set up we’re probably only looking at bringing one out and out striker in. Ideally that person would have to give us a return of around 10 goals for us to have another go at the playoffs. Whether that’s Nelson or not I’m not sure.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t understand Moffat. He was clinical and scored loads before signing for Dunfermline. He was always good on the ball with us previously but going full time just took him to another level. If he was still as clinical as he was in his first spell with us whilst keeping his excelling link up play and movement then he’d be the best striker in this league.

No, he wouldn't. There's already an aging striker in this division who does that better and did it at a higher level than Moffat ever did.  😉

No, he wouldn't. There's already an aging striker in this division who does that better and did it at a higher level than Moffat ever did.  [emoji6]

If Moffat had taken more of an interest in actually playing football instead of going to Celtic Park every Saturday and getting steaming then he’d still be in the Premiership right now. Luckily for us he stayed in the Juniors until he was in his mid 20s.

I will say this though. A partnership of Moffat and Dobbie even a couple of years ago would win any team this league.

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Moffat had taken more of an interest in actually playing football instead of going to Celtic Park every Saturday and getting steaming then he’d still be in the Premiership right now. Luckily for us he stayed in the Juniors until he was in his mid 20s.

I will say this though. A partnership of Moffat and Dobbie even a couple of years ago would win any team this league.

Genuinely don't think they'd have been a great combination. Too similar in style. Dobbie always has done his best work with a big bustling partner just in front of him a la Dykes recently and Sean O'Connor in his first spell. He and Derek Lyle SHOULD have been a great combination. Lyle was an intelligent player who got better with age and was deceptively good in the air as well as being a much better finisher then either O'Connor or Dykes ever was. But it didn't really work that well. It had it's moments (they destroyed St Mirren away in one of Jack Ross' early games, the one that saw him arguing in the stands with fans afterwards), but usually it didn't, probably because Lyle was more of an equal in front of goal.

If you didn't have Dobbie then Moffat would be as a good a replacement as you could get at this level but as a combination, probably not.

Edited by Skyline Drifter