The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

23 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Does the buy rate for streams get published the same as normal attendances do? Would be interested to see the numbers.

Also was just thinking that if Kenna hadn't been injured there would have been 3 ex Ayr players in the Scotland squad, when was the last time we would have been close or bettered that?

Still utterly perplexed that McKenna has had the career he has had. If you’d told me when he playing for us that he’d be a mainstay at Aberdeen for years, play for his country and move to the English championship, I’d have asked what you’d been smoking! 

I still tend to think McKenna is overrated, but I think it’s also fair to say he didn’t give his best at Ayr.  Such a common problem with youth players coming on loan from bigger clubs.  For every Ross Doohan, there’s a Jack Ruddy - I think teams like us are getting wise to that now and are really trying to get a feel for a players attitude e.g. bringing them in for training before signing.

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I think teams like us are getting wise to that now and are really trying to get a feel for a players attitude e.g. bringing them in for training before signing.

That almost NEVER happens. Indeed the parent club normally wouldnt allow it.

Happened a bit this pre-season, particularly with part time clubs, because with Premier already playing and lower divisions not it made sense not to complete the paperwork till later.

Had a little chuckle at someone on the SRE Facebook page having a go at Sinisalo claiming they used to be a goalkeeper and know a thing or 2 about playing in the position :lol:. Haven’t seen anything from yet to suggest he’s going to be in the category of Jack Ruddy loans rather than Ross Doohan and add in the fact he’s yet to play with a settled back 4. 

23 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Had a little chuckle at someone on the SRE Facebook page having a go at Sinisalo claiming they used to be a goalkeeper and know a thing or 2 about playing in the position :lol:. Haven’t seen anything from yet to suggest he’s going to be in the category of Jack Ruddy loans rather than Ross Doohan and add in the fact he’s yet to play with a settled back 4. 

Having done something doesn't automatically make you an authority on it. 

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That almost NEVER happens. Indeed the parent club normally wouldnt allow it.

Happened a bit this pre-season, particularly with part time clubs, because with Premier already playing and lower divisions not it made sense not to complete the paperwork till later.

We did it last season too with the boys from Ipswich.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Still utterly perplexed that McKenna has had the career he has had. If you’d told me when he playing for us that he’d be a mainstay at Aberdeen for years, play for his country and move to the English championship, I’d have asked what you’d been smoking! 

Kevin Nisbet another, will never forget him going down injured early in a game and McCall screaming there’s f*ck aw wrang wi ye! Don’t think he was seen again.

Just now, Grant228 said:

Does it make a difference? Do you reckon you'd sign another player just to cover Bruce Anderson for a league cup game? 

I don't think is a comparable situation to be honest. Having a player called up on the day of a club match and impacting team selection etc. is a much bigger inconvenience than 2/3 weeks notice.

Also for the record- we aren't strangers to having U21 players called up - last season it was Doohan; Harvie & Kelly. 

Not sure why other clubs are deflecting with the 'we've had call ups too' and 'why didn't you sign someone else' or 'sign cover'. Frankly, that's just jibber jabber.

I don't think is a comparable situation to be honest. Having a player called up on the day of a club match and impacting team selection etc. is a much bigger inconvenience than 2/3 weeks notice.
Also for the record- we aren't strangers to having U21 players called up - last season it was Doohan; Harvie & Kelly. 
Not sure why other clubs are deflecting with the 'we've had call ups too' and 'why didn't you sign someone else' or 'sign cover'. Frankly, that's just jibber jabber.
This is the point we probably trained from Tuesday with a game plan with Anderson up top and that was flung out the window on the day of the game, yeah he could have pulled up lame in the warm up but that happens the SFA could have waited to after the game to call him up

18 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Does it make a difference? Do you reckon you'd sign another player just to cover Bruce Anderson for a league cup game? 

We are looking for another striker anyway. I think if he had notice then yes I believe we would have gone out his way to get another player in

52 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Kevin Nisbet another, will never forget him going down injured early in a game and McCall screaming there’s f*ck aw wrang wi ye! Don’t think he was seen again.

Totally forgot about Nisbet. He’s another that didn’t set the heather alight at Somerset but went on to prove us (and McCall) wrong 😂

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Don't think anybody is deflecting anything, they are just reacting to the suggestion it's somehow more unfair on Ayr than all the other clubs who have lost players to international duty or the inference only Ayr were affected. And particularly the nonsense that these Betfred Cup ties are so important that the international team should have been picked only from Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell and Aberdeen to avoid disrupting it which is quite the most ridiculous suggestion I've seen for a while! 😂

5 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

We are looking for another striker anyway. I think if he had notice then yes I believe we would have gone out his way to get another player in

You are looking for another striker anyway, and didn't get one in, so in all likelihood wouldn't have jumped earlier to get one in that hasn't already suited the wish list just because Bruce Anderson was missing a game (or two, do you have a game on Tuesday he's missing too)?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The difference between ourselves and other clubs is that they had time to at least prepare for their players to be away whereas we would’ve done all our match prep with Anderson involved only to lose him.

I don’t think it’s a hard point to understand tbh.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

We had two players called up for the u21s, does that make it better? 

Hardly similar - we were away to an SPL side on a plastic pitch. You were at home against a team from League 1. Yes, the feeling is better, my Fife friend   

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The difference between ourselves and other clubs is that they had time to at least prepare for their players to be away whereas we would’ve done all our match prep with Anderson involved only to lose him.

And again, Hibs lost Paul McGinn at the last minute too. There will be instances all season when clubs lose last minute players to Covid symptoms, perhaps even at the door of the stadium. There have been instances already of people getting it in the dressing room or during a game (Billy Stark in that case not a player but it could happen). Welcome to 2020. You weren't the first and you won't be the last. Teams will have to adjust and squads will be more important than ever.

38 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah, SD is having a bit of a mare here tbf.

Not sure why he can't grasp what is an easy sentiment (regarding the greater impact/inconveniance) without attributing ludicrous suggestions of only calling up Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell and Aberdeen players to us. Did anyone even seriously suggest that? 

Not the hill I would choose to die on but there you go. 

Edited by Trogdor