The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

The worrying thing for me is just now we're using the three CB's we have in the squad in the defence at the same time.

Our defence is still as much use as a sieve holding water.....

There in lies the problem that won’t change our season IMO. We don’t have the players to make changes in the 2 positions we desperately need to. CB and CM. Our best defender is Muirhead who is punted out at right back which means both Baird and Roscoe are undroppable and we don’t have any other centre mids to replace Murdoch or Chalmers. There’s also something not right with Houston and that’s why Muirhead is playing there.  The only other option to get Muirhead in the centre and leave out Baird or Roscoe is to play either Miller or Hewitt at right back. 

12 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I just watched it on Black & White TV which is free just now. I couldn't find it on YouTube either. Its a bit crap if we're sticking that behind the paywall. The post match interview should be free imo.

Still not up, bit rotten indeed if the stuff usually put on YouTube is only on  the subscription channel now.

55 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I get the horrible feeling it’s just going to explode in Kerrs face over the next few weeks. Not many of the players have a real affiliation for him, coupled with the fact there are no leaders in the team and we don’t seem to have any real defensive foundation any the squad at all. A loss on Tuesday and we are in a relegation fight for sure. Will Dave Smith be as happy to let Kerr have as much time as Cameron would if we’re in even deeper trouble come mid January when half the season could be by? 

On the other hand we could go on a run and propel ourselves back up the table. Do I think we will or trust this team to do so? Frankly no. Too many big disappointments like Baird and Anderson, our supposed best signings. I don’t think we’ll get to do much in January which won’t help us in any shape or form.

Was speaking with friends the other day about this season and I just can’t get excited really. Whether it’s Covid, not getting to the games and getting that affiliation with the players or just the games I’ve watched that have been brutal. Switched off most streams I’ve bought early due to being scunnered trying to watch. 

Not sure about the affiliation part, it's not like he's throwing them under the bus in interviews so that would be hard to tell, there is a definite imbalance in the squad though and I can't see it being addressed next month  purely due to finances, unless we somehow lose Anderson, Smith and Cameron.

I like Anderson but as I said before we signed him, he is not a number 9 he is a 10 like Moffat. I think this is the main problem going forward as we don’t have the personnel to hold the ball up and bring others into play which I believe is the way Kerr wanted to play. 

as for the defence if we were to get a leader in front of them- a doc type player we’d be in better shape.

I think Anderson will go in January and we will replace him with Drinan and we will get another player in in the centre of the park and we will be fine. Mark Kerr will have his targets 

56 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Not sure about the affiliation part, it's not like he's throwing them under the bus in interviews so that would be hard to tell, there is a definite imbalance in the squad though and I can't see it being addressed next month  purely due to finances, unless we somehow lose Anderson, Smith and Cameron.

I get that, but there are a lot of new faces who maybe won’t bust a gut for him, like players were doing so for McCall. Kerr obviously feels he can’t criticise them I think as they’ll just down tools, there are certain players he should have criticised publicly by now.

Anderson will be gone in January I reckon, he’s just not been good enough and his loan does end then. Him out and getting someone else in makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I get that, but there are a lot of new faces who maybe won’t bust a gut for him, like players were doing so for McCall. Kerr obviously feels he can’t criticise them I think as they’ll just down tools, there are certain players he should have criticised publicly by now.

Anderson will be gone in January I reckon, he’s just not been good enough and his loan does end then. Him out and getting someone else in makes sense. 

4497F42E-C19A-48C3-8AFE-EC0E1F103395.png

I think that Cameron will go back to Killie , which is a shame because I thought he’d do a job for us . Depending on what’s going on at Ipswich, Drinan perhaps would come back . That would be a huge upgrade for us .  Drinan up front could be partnered by one of four potential no  10’s ... That’s a lot of options . Maybe one of those wages would be better spent on a leg breaker in midfield . A proper no nonsense centre half is required  , not an easy player to find  , however there is little doubt that Roscoe will be gone in May so spreading up that process may be on the cards ...After all that we’re back to formation and tactics . In the short term (next two games) get it back to a 4-4-2 , that’s the formation every player can play , maybe time for Smith and Anderson up front with Moffat having a spell on the bench . Add Walsh into the mix on the right and fill the rest of the midfield with Miller, Chalmers and Murdy . Back four with Houston in and Roscoe out . We need at least four points in the next two games to stop the rot ....

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Pretty sure Aberdeen insisted on a recall option in January. So will depend how they see it.

If the boys not happy or it’s not working for what ever reason then Aberdeen will pull him out . However no doubt they’d put him out on loan with another club .Whats the chances of him banging in double figures with say Inverness in 2021 ? 

2 minutes ago, North British said:

If the boys not happy or it’s not working for what ever reason then Aberdeen will pull him out . However no doubt they’d put him out on loan with another club .Whats the chances of him banging in double figures with say Inverness in 2021 ? 

He can’t play for anyone else this season as he’s already played for us and Aberdeen.

Unless Aberdeen see a use for him in the second half of the season or he’s incredibly unhappy at Ayr, he’ll probably be here until the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, North British said:

Not possible because he has played for us and Aberdeen. So he either stays with us or has to be on the bench for Aberdeen.

There's no doubt there's a player in there. I actually agree with you in that I don't think the 4-2-3-1 works for him. I'm not convinced we have the wide players for 4-4-2 but tempted to give anything a try right now! 

Forgot about the two club rule , so the lad is lightly to stay . Same rules apply to Smith then . Let’s hope we can get a 5 , 8 and 9 in to steady the ship . Kerr’s whole career can hinge on what occurs in the next few weeks on and off the pitch . I can’t see him accepting the status quo and I can’t see the board not trying to help him . Some players will be moving out others in but a coach of some description is the biggest piece of the jigsaw missing . It’s Ayr United we all support and this is what it’s like . 

I’d be happy enough keeping Anderson and letting Innes Cameron go back to Kilmarnock.

I think the club will have funds set aside for January but it’s whether Dave Smith trusts Kerr enough to spend it wisely. On paper his signings this summer looked great but Walsh has been injured, Chalmers form has dipped, Baird has been okay but he and Roscoe would really benefit from playing alongside someone will more experience and for whatever reason Anderson just hasn’t worked out. If he’s given money to spend we need to bring in a centre half that has a reasonable track record in this division. We could also do with a similar player to play up front.

Looking for young loans in January will be useless. Hopefully there is a couple of older players that aren’t getting game time at their own club and are willing to drop down a level for 6 months or so.

53 minutes ago, North British said:

Forgot about the two club rule , so the lad is lightly to stay . Same rules apply to Smith then . Let’s hope we can get a 5 , 8 and 9 in to steady the ship . Kerr’s whole career can hinge on what occurs in the next few weeks on and off the pitch . I can’t see him accepting the status quo and I can’t see the board not trying to help him . Some players will be moving out others in but a coach of some description is the biggest piece of the jigsaw missing . It’s Ayr United we all support and this is what it’s like . 

I hope they do, but will they really feel compelled to?

He was well backed in the summer given the uncertainty. We even paid a fee for a couple of players. The problem isn’t that he wasn’t given the resources to build a capable team, it’s that the team has been stacked with a load of forwards and attacking midfielders - most of whom want to play similar roles.

Both the defence and midfield are light - and of the players we do have in those positions there’s absolutely no leadership there or anyone willing to get “stuck in”. I still can’t believe the amount of people who were dismissing Bell as being past it and no great loss when he left in the summer. Our most experienced players are Muirhead and Moff. Muirhead is a nutter and Moff is hardly the most vocal.

On top of that it’s obvious that Kerr has no idea what his best team is. The front 3/4 changes on a weekly basis.

8 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I still can’t believe the amount of people who were dismissing Bell as being past it and no great loss when he left in the summer. 

I'm guilty of that, thought his legs had gone and was always liable to make an individual error. I also naively thought Baird was an able bodied replacement based on his previous clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm guilty of that, thought his legs had gone and was always liable to make an individual error. I also naively thought Baird was an able bodied replacement based on his previous clubs. 

I did have you in mind when I said it haha.

He made mistakes (the one at Tannadice last season I couldn’t believe what I was seeing), but I think it’s also clear anyone he was partnered with was a better player for it. The jury was out on Rose until he was partnered with Bell. Next thing he was one of the best centre halves in the Championship and got a move to Coventry.

When we signed Baird almost everyone said he was a cracking signing IF he was partnered with someone more experienced.

I can accept the reasons for letting Bell leave but we really needed to get a replacement. In the meantime I can’t believe that we’re persisting with Baird and Roscoe. Muirhead + one other is our best bet until we get someone else in.