The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Heaven forbid that the groundsman might actually be expected to do some weeding or the modern day equivalent of the apprentice players. 

This is the sort of request a junior team would be doing.

Not one who are hoping to get promoted to the top league in the country. Tinpot. Even pick up the phone to those who are actually willing to help out, not to post publicly on the official site. Just my opinion. 

Community involvement? Aye right enough. "Bring your own trowels and hoes" 😂😂

Raith Rovers who have a good deal more employees than us have posted this , most clubs at our level will be in same situation 

8F4731CB-2D80-4195-B1AE-38C6A8D38387.png

Edited by Finlay21

5 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Raith Rovers who have a good deal more employees than us have posted this , all clubs at our level will be in same situation 

8F4731CB-2D80-4195-B1AE-38C6A8D38387.png

I'm fairly sure I've seen Partick / Morton and a few other 'tinpot' clubs at the exact same level as us and Raith having similar.   How embarrassing eh.  

There is a few things the club can be criticised for this close season however asking for volunteers to help out with ground maintenance is certainly not one of them. This happens every season at most clubs in Scotland. 

Heaven forbid that the groundsman might actually be expected to do some weeding or the modern day equivalent of the apprentice players. 
Not one who are hoping to get promoted to the top league in the country. Tinpot. Even pick up the phone to those who are actually willing to help out, not to post publicly on the official site. Just my opinion. 
Community involvement? Aye right enough. "Bring your own trowels and hoes" [emoji23][emoji23]
Couldn't disagree more.

Connecting fans with the club should always be a priority, and this is a perfect way to do that. It's a win win.

30 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Any idea who the other lad was apart from keeper and McCaragher??? 

Can't see anyone interesting follow the club on twitter since yesterday apart from McCarragher today.

Don't think the other two outfielders were from the same agency though as that FDA account only referred to a player on trial. The No.11 is in a a few of the photos TNS posted and the No.12 appears in the background of one.

Keeper in the 1st half is wearing 21 which was Sandberg's number but it doesn't look like him. The blonde keeper could be Nicky Hogarth but that's only as he's represented by CAA Base who are the agent for a some of our players and Hopkin himself.

15 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The club are looking for volunteer weeders:

https://ayrunitedfc.co.uk/volunteers-required

It's time for you amateur Titchmarshs to shine!

Ooft, this message did not get the reaction I was anticipating.

I was expecting with all the chat of scarifying lawns a couple of months back a fair few of you would have been all over this. I'm looking at you @diegomarahenry.

The lack of chat about how to weed properly has me very disappointed.

2 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

Can't see anyone interesting follow the club on twitter since yesterday apart from McCarragher today.

Don't think the other two outfielders were from the same agency though as that FDA account only referred to a player on trial. The No.11 is in a a few of the photos TNS posted and the No.12 appears in the background of one.

Keeper in the 1st half is wearing 21 which was Sandberg's number but it doesn't look like him. The blonde keeper could be Nicky Hogarth but that's only as he's represented by CAA Base who are the agent for a some of our players and Hopkin himself.

Saw the same agency had mentioned players going to QoS as well and they had a couple of trialists score today.   

It's funny how it goes with trilaists.  I remember watching us away at Partick last pre season, Chalmers scored a free kick, then we had a trialist striker came on and missed a 1 on 1 almost immediately.  Never mentioned again and no idea who he was.  But yet I saw him play for Ayr the first time I ever watched us play online.  

Can’t be easy trying to assemble a squad at this level and trying to avoid:

1. Merry-go-round championship journeymen who always look as if they could do a job, but never really do.

2. Your ‘who is that guy’ who shows well in 1 or 2 trial games then doesn’t even make the bench.

3. Used to play for me so I at least know what he is like.

4. Untested kids.

5. Loaned untested kids from elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Hursty said:

Saw the same agency had mentioned players going to QoS as well and they had a couple of trialists score today.   

It's funny how it goes with trilaists.  I remember watching us away at Partick last pre season, Chalmers scored a free kick, then we had a trialist striker came on and missed a 1 on 1 almost immediately.  Never mentioned again and no idea who he was.  But yet I saw him play for Ayr the first time I ever watched us play online.  

I remember being told his name but it totally escapes me. I’m sure he had been on the books of Liverpool and Blackburn. 

20 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Community involvement? Aye right enough. "Bring your own trowels and hoes" 😂😂

Its something the club have done for many seasons now. The stadium will be in even worse nick after 16 months without fans. Surely it wont just be weeding the volunteers will be doing? I'd have them painting and sweeping the stand too 😂

15 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Its something the club have done for many seasons now. The stadium will be in even worse nick after 16 months without fans. Surely it wont just be weeding the volunteers will be doing? I'd have them painting and sweeping the stand too 😂

I'm sure it's a regular pre-season ritual at Palmerston (Covid permitting) organised by the Queens Trust I believe. Cleaning seats, painting, weeding, generally a bit of a face lift. As has been pointed out, it happens at quite a few Clubs and really shouldn't be a problem for folk to get  worked up about. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm sure it's a regular pre-season ritual at Palmerston (Covid permitting) organised by the Queens Trust I believe. Cleaning seats, painting, weeding, generally a bit of a face lift. As has been pointed out, it happens at quite a few Clubs and really shouldn't be a problem for folk to get  worked up about. 

Exactly. If it saves the club a few quid and makes the fans feel like they're a part of helping out then it should be applauded. I hope the club get a good turnout for it and it gives supporters a wee peak at the ground before crowds are back!

2 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Can’t be easy trying to assemble a squad at this level and trying to avoid:

1. Merry-go-round championship journeymen who always look as if they could do a job, but never really do.

2. Your ‘who is that guy’ who shows well in 1 or 2 trial games then doesn’t even make the bench.

3. Used to play for me so I at least know what he is like.

4. Untested kids.

5. Loaned untested kids from elsewhere.

Very good points and ironically the guys who were actually perceived as our "marquee" signings over the past couple of seasons turned out to be utter failures and I'm looking at Frank Ross, Bruce Anderson and Tom Walsh, so it just goes to show that you can never really tell with anyone how they'll perform.

On the flip side of that we have guys like Jamie Adams and Steven Bell who were playing at a lower level and who's careers looked finished, yet we took a chance on them and both turned out to be key players for us for the next few seasons. Unfortunately we weren't so luck with Kris Doolan.

We've also done really well with the "untested kids" route recently with Kelly, Doohan, Harvie and Rose all exceeding our wildest expectations so let's hope Hopkin can pull a couple of these Burnley lads out the hat, who on pedigree, should be at least equal if not better than the aforementioned boys from the old firm and Aberdeen.

Edited by WATTOO

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

We have had some volunteers in over the last couple of months , they have cleaned all areas and painted all crash barriers etc , down to just the weeding now of which they have put down the weed killer 

15 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

We have had some volunteers in over the last couple of months , they have cleaned all areas and painted all crash barriers etc , down to just the weeding now of which they have put down the weed killer 

Nice one! I would have gladly helped out and did some painting, was it advertised? Pity I'm working this week or I'd have helped with the weeding 

Apparently Jason Leitch has said in an interview that full crowds could return to Scottish Football from 10th August. Given it’s coming from JL I’d take it with a massive pinch of salt however if true that is a massive boast for the club who I’d imagine would be budgeting for no away fans and limited number of home fans (2000) all season. 

Also a real sign of things finally returning to normal. 

27 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Apparently Jason Leitch has said in an interview that full crowds could return to Scottish Football from 10th August. Given it’s coming from JL I’d take it with a massive pinch of salt however if true that is a massive boast for the club who I’d imagine would be budgeting for no away fans and limited number of home fans (2000) all season. 

Also a real sign of things finally returning to normal. 

Imo he was wanting an easy time of it by agreeing that as the rules stand then it is possible. Whilst the top level version look good no doubt the spfl and local authorities may also get some input before reaching the clubs.  Reckon it will take a few months for it to build up again