The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Below average teams need as many good players as they can.

James Maxwell is one of this seasons better performers, even out of position he's been involved in a lot of our better moments this season. There's a drive about him and he doesn't lack for technical ability either. 

If he goes, I think he'll be missed and make no mistake intensifies our need for more quality in the middle of the park. 

No surprise that McCall sees him as a project to develop further either. I think he'll do well at Thistle, if he does move on it'll be a shame that Bartley or whoever comes in, didn't get the chance to keep and develop him at Somerset. 

51 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Where did the figure of four come from? I think we need at least 5/6 signings, hopefully with the same going out even if they are loans (like Miller).

This thread, in early December I think. Could be entirely baseless of course so don't treat it as anything other than wild rumour and speculation.

I have no idea how achievable 4 or 5 would be for Mathie. But it is true that we failed to bring in even the single midfielder we needed prior to the start of the season so it would be some achievement even getting close.

Hard enough January window getting rid of the players we don't want to keep, never mind have to think about replacing player who we did want to keep. Mathie has a big job January and not a lot of time on his hands, never mind working under budget constraints and searching for a new manager. The fact this all has to be done halfway through the season does not bode well for the rest of it. Really cannot be fucked going back to League 1.

34 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Hard enough January window getting rid of the players we don't want to keep, never mind have to think about replacing player who we did want to keep. Mathie has a big job January and not a lot of time on his hands, never mind working under budget constraints and searching for a new manager. The fact this all has to be done halfway through the season does not bode well for the rest of it. Really cannot be fucked going back to League 1.

The talk of a "progressive" appointment like Bartley or Thompson makes me nervous, I would like an appointment where the pressure is on the whole club to take a step forward without taking a step back first, 

Best case scenario - A decent appointment and 6-8 decent players in and we could be looking at a promotion play-off place in the late stages of the season. 

Worst case - we hire a diddy manager that takes us down without touching the sides, October, it is clear we need a change and another season is lost. 

It will be interesting to find out if we have players that are genuinely un-coachable  or the previous managers just weren't up to it. 

44 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That just doesn't/can't happen in the January window. 

As much as its probably needed, we need to be realistic as well. 

Also need to remember that there are four other equally bad teams in the league, so we don't need to solve every problem, just do a better job than two of them.

17 minutes ago, Iain said:

Also need to remember that there are four other equally bad teams in the league, so we don't need to solve every problem, just do a better job than two of them.

Not unrealistic to think that those same teams might also be looking at the same players we are. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

St Mirren did it the season we went down

It's certainly possible but would require a monster overhaul and throwing a lot of money at it. Are we willing to do that?

I suspect realistically we will bring in 4/5 and ship the same out. It may still not be enough though. This squad is rancid and a lot of them have been around this season and last season losing more games than they win. They have a losing mentality. The additions need to have the right mentality to turn this squad around.

Either way either division, come the summer we need to clear the decks. 

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

St Mirren did it the season we went down

They got rid of nearly a dozen players including bringing in over £250k in transfer fees.

I can’t see many teams lining up to take any Ayr players in January, never mind spend money on them.

Maxwell is a player with bags of potential.  Fast, mobile and good on the ball.  Not surprised that McCall is looking at him.  He showed time and again at Ayr that he has an eye for a young player - you might think that would give folk on here pause for thought when dismissing Maxwell as no great loss.  I’ve honestly lost count of the players who've left Ayr recently that folk viewed the same way. What market do Ayr fans think we’re shopping in?  If there is an opportunity to sign him permanently, we should be looking at it, though I presume we’d be priced out the market by Partick.

44 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Maxwell is a player with bags of potential.  Fast, mobile and good on the ball.  Not surprised that McCall is looking at him.  He showed time and again at Ayr that he has an eye for a young player - you might think that would give folk on here pause for thought when dismissing Maxwell as no great loss.  I’ve honestly lost count of the players who've left Ayr recently that folk viewed the same way. What market do Ayr fans think we’re shopping in?  If there is an opportunity to sign him permanently, we should be looking at it, though I presume we’d be priced out the market by Partick.

The general consensus across the thread isn't one of no great loss but rather of regret that we don't need 2 left backs. We've never actually seen Maxwell play there. I'd firmly blame Duffy and Hopkin for that.

I'm not sure what market we're shopping in either but we need every resource available to bring in 4-6 players in January. That is the general consensus.

If you consider the Maxwell situation in that context its head v heart. Having to pay a fee to Rangers and probably a decent contract (given Thistle are involved) won't actually improve the squad as he's already here. It also reduces what's available for new additions. If the budget/funds available allows then I'd be happy to try and retain Maxwell but the new additions have to be the priority. Otherwise we are going down.

Edited by Trogdor

I don't think we'll shift players out, unless Falkirk or Airdrie are looking for a couple of bombscare centre halfs, or we can loan them out to a part time team then we will most likely be stuck with them.

Afolabi will go back to Celtic, surely. Maybe Whyte will play Bradley more than Duffy and he's worth keeping. Maxwell, depends on the Thistle thing. 

The players we own, There may be a chance of loaning them out, Maybe Dumbarton would take McCallister. McKenzie isn't getting much game time, Cardle could probably thrive under someone like McGlynn. 

I think it will be more about replacing attitudes rather than ability this window, listening to Mathies interview, it sounds like there is something rotten at the core in the squad when he talks about speaking to the players, addressing the accountability. 

35 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I think it’s more nuanced than that through. We can do better in midfield this season, as his final ball/decision isn’t particularly good. With development this can improve. We obviously don’t want to lose him this season, but we need to decide who has the greater potential out of him and Reading - I would imagine it’s quite possibly Maxwell but we don’t really know.

McCall won’t be signing him as a midfielder, it’ll be as a left back. If we want him permanently then your only option is to release Reading.... on a budget like ours you can’t run with both and shoehorn one in. 

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The players we own, There may be a chance of loaning them out, Maybe Dumbarton would take McCallister. McKenzie isn't getting much game time, Cardle could probably thrive under someone like McGlynn. 

I take it you meant Chalmers? I actually think in the right team he would be a good player. However, given our predicament, he is a luxury we can't afford.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I take it you meant Chalmers? I actually think in the right team he would be a good player. However, given our predicament, he is a luxury we can't afford.

I always get them mixed up, Same with Andy Murdoch and Paul Agnew. f**k knows why. 

I see we have recalled Paul Smith from Cumnock. I hope there isn't a Covid crisis looming at the club but Smith is a ball player so hopefully it is a good sign. 

14 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Building work was going on meaning two of the stands were closed. Access and safety issues were the reasons given i think 

4 stands were open, the council decided the figure and that figure was the amount of season tickets we had sold. Nobody could expect a season ticket holder to give up a ticket for an away fan. 
Small time mentality for any club to vote for games to go ahead without fans.