The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, Iain said:

He said more than that, something about not having a problem crossing the divide because he was only at Ayr five minutes and doesn't care about the club.

Found it:

“I didn’t really have any reservations about crossing the divide from Ayr. 

"I was only there for a few months, it was only a short-term loan, so it didn’t really bother me.

What are folk wanting him to say here?  He signed for them so he was obvious he has no reservations.  He was only here on a short term loan. 

Are folk looking for him to say he's been dragged to rugby park against his will?

:lol:

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Genuinely interested in what Bryden contributes that Ashford doesn’t…

“Shows more passion” cause he runs about and jumps into centre halves. 

As I said I think he’ll do okay but he really needs to be tested at a lower level on a regular basis. 

ETA: Love how someone managed to write Ashford on from day one when the guy literally scored on his debut. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

“Shows more passion” cause he runs about and jumps into centre halves. 

As I said I think he’ll do okay but he really needs to be tested at a lower level on a regular basis. 

ETA: Love how someone managed to write Ashford on from day one when the guy literally scored on his debut. 

As of yet I just don’t buy the Bryden hype, I don’t really see anything technically to think we are on to something. There have been one or two little flashes, and Bullen is obviously seeing something in training/reserve games so I’m intrigued to see him out on loan to league two or something though and see how he contributes. Him coming on with ten minutes to go to basically chase after the ball is pretty pointless for his development though - over recent years we have been incredibly poor at getting players like him out on loan. Ecrepont went out on loan about two seasons ago and hasn’t really been seen since - he has just been rotting on the bench. I appreciate there needs to be a balance as some need to be used as back up options but Ecrepont, Smith and Bryden would all benefit hugely from loan spells. If that means we run a little short at times  to aid our long term plan, then so be it. 

Ashford obviously isn’t great, but he was decent at the start of the season and it can’t be said he has contributed nothing whatsover! 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As of yet I just don’t buy the Bryden hype, I don’t really see anything technically to think we are on to something. There have been one or two little flashes, and Bullen is obviously seeing something in training/reserve games so I’m intrigued to see him out on loan to league two or something though and see how he contributes. Him coming on with ten minutes to go to basically chase after the ball is pretty pointless for his development though - over recent years we have been incredibly poor at getting players like him out on loan. Ecrepont went out on loan about two seasons ago and hasn’t really been seen since - he has just been rotting on the bench. I appreciate there needs to be a balance as some need to be used as back up options but Ecrepont, Smith and Bryden would all benefit hugely from loan spells. If that means we run a little short at times  to aid our long term plan, then so be it. 

Ashford obviously isn’t great, but he was decent at the start of the season and it can’t be said he has contributed nothing whatsover! 

I get that. He definitely needs game time and I agree, coming on to run about isn’t teaching him anything. He’s never going to start a game this season either as long as Dipo and McKenzie stay fit. You’ve then got Brad Young and if he leaves we’ll just sign someone else. 

Ashford was perfectly fine last season as well. He did the dirty work and I remember him getting loads of praise after the derby win. He was torture this season in the league cup but once he got moved out wide he was fine. He’s been very unlucky that Chalmers and Mullin signed as there’s no way he’s getting a game ahead of them. Bullen clearly rates him but I wonder if he’ll want away for game time. 

As the season has gone on and opposition teams have started to suss us out a bit...

It has become apparant we need to get a CAM/Moff type player to play off Dipo as today i thought it was pretty evident that sort of player was missing from our play. Likes of Murdoch/Dempsey/Smith/Hewitt just don't offer that

*Archie Meekison from Dundee United on loan could be a shout?

Edited by rb123!

6 minutes ago, rb123! said:

As the season has gone on and opposition teams have started to suss us out a bit...

It has become apparant we need to get a CAM/Moff type player to play off Dipo as today i thought it was pretty evident that sort of player was missing from our play. Likes of Murdoch/Dempsey/Smith/Hewitt just don't offer that

Missing a Cammy Smith type for no 10 . And a Mark Kerr no 6 type for brining it out from the back . This might not be a one window job but we're right in the fight . Three very winnable  games coming up the Queens away  . 

11 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bryden is lively but his best moment was when he shrugged off an Accies player to hold the ball and played a lovely pass over the defence to Mullin. He’s definitely got potential but usually his priority is trying to hammer an opponent. 

For all his faults Ashford is actually a decent footballer. He can hold onto the ball well and is fairly quick. He’s just useless in the air and can’t finish. 

I’d roll the dice and try for another forward. Oli Shaw is well out the picture at Killie and would score goals in this team. 

Don’t know where we are with Bryden.  He showed some potential last season then had an injury at the start of the season that’s meant he’s barely featured.  A loan spell might be a good move for him.  

I think we need to face facts with Ashford.  He has no first touch, no physical presence,  no real movement, can’t head a ball, can’t shoot or finish.  There’s lots of honest effort to be fair, but he’s honestly miles off it.  Hard work catches the eye when a player comes into a team that isn’t doing well, but it’s not enough for where we are now.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Thought the highlight of the game yesterday was in the dying seconds when we got a breakaway and McKenzie ran about 50 yards with the ball into the corner to time waste only to lose it immediately when he got there.

Was that not Bryden?

32 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Was that not Bryden?

Aye it was Bryden and the right choice to do that at the stage of the game. Just got robbed of the ball a bit to easily when he got there. I thought he did well enough when he came on yesterday. Dipo had one of his worst performances (by his standards) since he signed yesterday. Yes he didn’t have support but his touch, passing and all round game wasn’t up to his usual standards yesterday. 

Bryden and JML being sent on to show some energy up front and timewaste and make a mess of it when hanging on by a goal at home to the worst team in the league pretty much shows where things are. There's no way the club are finishing higher than fourth and that's going to be strongly contested by Morten.

You aren't honestly pushing for promotion if you're not bringing anyone in during the window when you can't even name an XI with a player who is genuinely good enough in every position.

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Bryden and JML being sent on to show some energy up front and timewaste and make a mess of it when hanging on by a goal at home to the worst team in the league pretty much shows where things are. There's no way the club are finishing higher than fourth and that's going to be strongly contested by Morten.

You aren't honestly pushing for promotion if you're not bringing anyone in during the window when you can't even name an XI with a player who is genuinely good enough in every position.

Wow, what a negative view. We’re still second in the league despite a rocky / poor spell! 
I also think we’ll bring some players in during this window as well as Houston, Musonda and O’Connor to come back into the squad. 

24 minutes ago, Thumper said:

That’s OTT to be fair.  Kirk, Dipo, Murdoch, Dempsey and Mullin would walk into most teams in the division.  I haven’t seen a better championship keeper than Albinson this season.  Chalmers is inconsistent, but he is capable of real quality (hopefully his performance yesterday was just a one off and not evidence of his mind being elsewhere) and again is a wide player that most teams in the league would want.  And for all the criticism at times, McGinty has barely put a foot wrong since Bullen came in.

50 minutes ago, ecocme said:

Aye it was Bryden and the right choice to do that at the stage of the game. Just got robbed of the ball a bit to easily when he got there. I thought he did well enough when he came on yesterday. Dipo had one of his worst performances (by his standards) since he signed yesterday. Yes he didn’t have support but his touch, passing and all round game wasn’t up to his usual standards yesterday. 

Suspect that outwith those injured, a few of them are playing with knocks, including Dipo. Wouldn't surprise me if half of them aren't 100 or even 80%

Lots of unfair stuff getting banded about on young Bryden , I agree he should be out in L2 getting games and goals . However he's only 19 and playing at the top end of the championship.. Sometimes I think fans forget that . If we were in a title run in L1 like we used to be then guys like O'connor,  McKenzie would be mainstays and Bryden would be in and out or getting 30 mins most weeks . This seasons squad was a mixture of L1 caliber players,  championship jobbers and a few diamonds . Everyone thought we'd be roughly where Raith Rovers are . However we have exceeded all expectations,  won 10 games from 20 in the league , are still in the cup , have beaten all the top five with a fraction of their budgets . All this while not playing that well at times . It's hard to get your head round  it at times but we keep bringing points in most weeks , even the Dundee and Thistle defeats could easily have been draws . What we do next (in the window) will be interesting, will we patch up the squad or will we upgrade and go for it ? Who knows ? One thing is for sure this team will graft non stop every week from now to May . That might just see us with a lump of prize money and a secure foundation for next season playing in a transformational Somerset Park .