The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Nick McAllister btw, aye he isn’t the best football player in the world but he brings an intensity, drive and aggression that just isn’t there without him. Exactly what you need in games like today. 

Same could be said for Bryden. These boys want to go out, play for Ayr and have the team do well. You sometimes have an inkling that something special might happen and today, Bryden came on and got the equaliser. Yes, these players are young but they make all the difference when needed.

40 minutes ago, wuffster said:

The JML Experience is a symptom of the larger Bullen Show we've had to endure for months. Insipid anti-football that some likeable players are trying their best under. It should be another round of the Smith Head Coach Lottery in the summer but I suspect not.

I see where you're coming from, but i don't think it's quite as extreme as that

Bullen hasn't shown he can learn from his mistakes or have a plan B so far, which is worrying to me, but aren't we still to appoint a proper assistant? All has gone quiet on that front...

Harsh on Elgin today, but cream always rises to the top. McAlear shouldnt be anywhere near the starting 11 right now. Houston had a poor game. JML poor. Says it all when Daire got man of the much as a sub! 

Saw Alan Archibald there today and he left when it was 0-1 and we were shit so hopefully that's lulled them into a false state of confidence for next week 😂

39 minutes ago, wuffster said:

The JML Experience is a symptom of the larger Bullen Show we've had to endure for months. Insipid anti-football that some likeable players are trying their best under. It should be another round of the Smith Head Coach Lottery in the summer but I suspect not.

I suppose the concern is that Dipo has turned out to be a transformational signing who has inflated our season way beyond what was expected at the start of the season.  Assuming we lose him in the Summer, we’ll likely need to mould an overall team that can perform at the sharp end of the Championship.  

Perhaps that’s where there are legitimate question marks against Bullen..  I’m not really into football “philosophies”, but I just don’t know how he wants to play football.  The general standard of our passing and movement is pretty dire at times.  Zero chance we’ll be making a managerial change right enough 

30 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Everyone has their own opinion on this, but for me football is about memories. Winning a quarter final and getting to Hampden is just that - getting pumped off one of the OF most certainly isn’t. The first one also gives you the option of a payday regardless. 

I absolutely agree and a few weeks ago I’d have been dying to draw raith or Inverness. But now I don’t have any confidence we’d beat them so I’d rather just take the money and run. 

23 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Are you still wanting Mark Kerr back?

Fair do's. 😀 (I did wonder if anyone would bring that up.)

It seems ridiculous to be wanting a change of coach when 2nd in the league and into the QF's of the Scottish Cup but that's where I am. I hope my track record in managerial success prognostication continues!

33 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Nick McAllister btw, aye he isn’t the best football player in the world but he brings an intensity, drive and aggression that just isn’t there without him. Exactly what you need in games like today. 

Dean Keenan 2.0 if you ask me.

The reality with Bullen is that he's learning on the job. I've always said I want us to win football matches and the style comes second. However, we are rancid for large spells in games and yet we manage to grind out results. That's a positive.

This squad has character in spades. They are a likeable bunch but the tactics are holding us back. I felt for Dipo today. The 451/433 needs binned pronto it just isn't working.

The 4-5-1 formation hasn't worked this year and feels similar to the League Cup campaign where Bullen seemed to be stubbornly trying to force a back 5, which also didn't work. 4-4-2 is the way forward as it gets the best out of our two best players in Dipo and Mullin which has to be the goal. We're at our best when attacking so if it leaves us a bit more open it's a risk worth taking. 

Today it was clear in the first 10 minutes that it was going to be a long day and while I wouldn't suggest making a sub in the 1st half, it was a worry as to why Bullen sent the same team out for the 2nd half. Once again when we concede first we resort to a frantic and desperate style of play where we loss any control and mistakes multiply. 

I suppose the main thing today was to be in the next round and credit to the character of the team, particularly the subs. Hopefully it's a lesson learnt today as to the best way to approach the rest of the season.

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A side benefit today was Queens Park losing to Morton. If we can get our shit together and our players back (Murdoch & Musonda) then we can have a crack at winning this thing!

Wasn't there today but seems like today was similar in performance to recent weeks, and in that I can't see a title shot being on the cards. Not even confident about a win next Saturday.