The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Same - will obviously give him time as he's clearly not fit and has done very well at this level before but he looks miles off the standard of McInroy for example

It makes zero sense to me that we played Hewitt in the attacking role against QP, and then Smith today when McAlear is meant to be an attacking central midfielder. Smith was horrific today as well, but was actually much improved when McAlear went off and he got moved deeper. 

McInroy had the ability to play both midfield roles well. 

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Was Bullen not tactically flexible at some point earlier in the season. I'm sure we were lauding him at some point for being this, compared to the rigid previous managers. 

It's seemingly a coin toss between playing to the team's strengths or shelling it sixty yards and hoping for the best. A coin heavily weighted to the latter.

Ian McCall's teams were excellent frontrunners, if we went a goal up we almost always won. On the other hand, the days we would concede first were painful!

Just seen the highlights and still not a clue why we got a penalty. A unique take defending from Big Sean for the goal as well. 

6 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Ian McCall's teams were excellent frontrunners, if we went a goal up we almost always won. On the other hand, the days we would concede first were painful!

Just seen the highlights and still not a clue why we got a penalty. A unique take defending from Big Sean for the goal as well. 

Just come on to say the same. Where the f**k was McGinty going at Elgin’s goal (and his defending in the second half when he just fell over!) and I’d be raging if that penalty is awarded against us!

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

The concern is that Akinyemi's talent is masking the complete failure of the club to evolve tactically from where it was in the seasons before, e.g. in the bottom three for most of the campaign. If Hamilton played like they did on Friday against Ayr right now they'd obliterate them.

I was thinking about this on the drive home. It's not quite Hoppyball but it's not far off. Our only tactic is to shell it long to Dipo where he is totally isolated and expect him to balance the ball on his head and pirouette passsed defenders into space.

If we played the ball on the deck the big guy would have even more goals. We need to play to his strengths. Work the ball out wide and get crosses in. Try to drive through the middle. I'll even accept the odd long ball, but not continously. 

It's so bloody frustrating when you know these players can play and they are being hamstrung by some atrocious tactics. 

"Change it Bullen!"

Edited by Trogdor

Plain and simple that was an absolute mugging done by Ayr today, miles off it all over the park with the exception to Mcadams, kept Ayr in the cup with some wonder saves..

Ansolutely does my head in playing with wingers and they don’t play as wingers, playing like it will happen don’t worry until they scored the the shit hit the fan, absolute embarrassing performance didn’t watch the extra time as I’d had enough by then.

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Why is McAlear being played as a defensive midfielder? 

Probably because he’s not fit and looks a yard off the pace generally.  Maybe things will improve with game time, but at the moment he is way off being the mobile attacking midfielder we were hoping for.  Leaving Dipo isolated up front in order to accommodate a 3rd midfielder who isn’t in the game is starting to wear thin.

11 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think Bullen is possibly in the McCall realm of managers - maybe not the best tactically at times, but an excellent man manager and creates teams with a fantastic work ethic and will to win. 

I do think the formation is being fixated on a bit too much though, it’s the deployment of the 4-3-3 that’s been the issue IMO. The link between central midfield and Dipo just hasn’t been there. I thought that was going to be McAlear’s role though - but he hasn’t been played there so far. Not like I can say that we don’t look more effective in an attacking sense in the 4-4-2 though! 

its the hoofball that we need to stop regardless of the formation.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He didn’t play there yesterday? 

He played pretty deep at times - thought him and Dempsey took it in turns to drop in. We were so pedestrian it was hard to tell though. Smith was definitely our most advanced midfielder, and that didn’t seem to suit him either. 

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He didn’t play there yesterday? 

I thought he was the deepest of all of the central midfielders. Whereas I had expected him to be the closest one to Dipo. 

Is there any news on when Murdoch is back? Smith/Hewitt are capable if unspectacular whereas Murdoch is an 8/10 most weeks.

I am now in favour of signing McInroy (if it is an option).

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I thought he was the deepest of all of the central midfielders. Whereas I had expected him to be the closest one to Dipo. 

Is there any news on when Murdoch is back? Smith/Hewitt are capable if unspectacular whereas Murdoch is an 8/10 most weeks.

I am now in favour of signing McInroy (if it is an option).

9/10 I thought Dempsey was our deepest midfielder. He slotted himself almost into a back 3 with Kirk and McGinty at one point. I thought Smith did well yesterday. He was trying to make angles in the first half and was constantly moving to try and get a bit of space to do something. It just didn’t work out for him as McAlear was so pedestrian it was unreal. If we sign McInroy then you’d assume we’re persevering with the 4-3-3/4-5-1 with the hope that McInroy can get closer to Dipo. I have very little faith that it will work out that way tbh. 

If there’s one thing we learned yesterday it’s that O’Connor needs to be starting games again. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

there’s one thing we learned yesterday it’s that O’Connor needs to be starting games again. 

This. 100% this. He changed the game yesterday and looks light and day over JML. He's obviously had a minor injury or something as I cannot compute why he wouldn't ever be in the team. 🤔