The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Why are you worried? Pretty much nobody ever gets promoted from the playoffs anyway and certainly not anyone finishing third or fourth. Nothing to get excited about.

Its not worried, just dont think it would be a great look being at the top of the league all year, then missing out on the play offs, not that we would likely get promoted anyway. Its more the long term impact of missing out on the club, rather than anything else

We'd need to win all our remaining games and Dundee and QP to shit the bed to be able to win the league so it ain't happening, we've got a bigger worry on our hands of trying to stay in the top 4!

If we don't it will be abject failure pitch side by Bullen and the recruitment team off the pitch considering we were top at New Year and had a woeful January window IMO

9 hours ago, Iain said:

Why are you worried? Pretty much nobody ever gets promoted from the playoffs anyway and certainly not anyone finishing third or fourth. Nothing to get excited about.

Dundee did only a couple of seasons back, albeit from 2nd.  

15 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Anything can happen over the next few games as it's been impossible to predict anything all season long and will continue like that I'm sure.

The bottom line is that we can only play every game as it comes and treat them all like must wins and then see where it takes us. 

As it stands right now we're capable of winning every game, losing every game and drawing every game and all our opponents are in the same boat, what I would say is that we're currently in 3rd place on merit so anything below 3rd at this point will seem like a failure and anything better will be a great achievement.

If nothing else, at least it's exciting......

Our good form happened when we had everyone fit and available. We had some good luck at that time keeping a settled side though that changed and we then had our own injury woes. 
It’s now the end of the season and most teams end up running on fumes. Not sure we are capable of beating the teams at the top like we did earlier in the season. Confident we will pick up enough for a play off spot and that itself will be a good outcome 

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Dundee did only a couple of seasons back, albeit from 2nd.  

To be fair, look who they played in the playoff final. Special circumstances!

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Absolute fantasies all round. Nul points from the remaining five, and that's being generous. Outside bet on beating ICT on the final day, for them to go on and win the Scottish Cup.

Talking about fantasies, there is a middle ground…

What I don't get from some of our fans is how they can honestly say that we're underdogs and even no hopers against all our remaining opponents, despite the fact we've already beaten four of them fair and square, we're currently above all of them in the league (with the exception of QP) and we have better recent form than them also.

As such, what gives people such negative thoughts ?

Yes, we have had some poor performances but so have all our opponents with many of them much worse than our own, we've also got a virtually fully fit squad and arguably the best player in the league on our side.

The other thing which annoys me is that our good results and performances are glossed over by some and negative spin put on anything at all which we are doing well, as I've said before, I honestly just don't get it. Nobody is saying that the current squad are world beaters but they're certainly good enough (as they've already proven) to compete with ANYONE in this league and as such I think some should be giving them some credit for what they've already achieved up to this point.....

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Nobody is saying that the current squad are world beaters but they're certainly good enough (as they've already proven) to compete with ANYONE in this league and as such I think some should be giving them some credit for what they've already achieved up to this point.....

Too right - I'm still warmed by 3-1 against Dundee, 5-0 against QP and 4-2 against Thistle. Yes, yes, there have been a few results and performances to seriously temper all that but I look at where we were at the end of the pre-season and what we've done since. Room for improvement for sure but no negative thoughts - I live for those big results quoted above and I can (eventually!) deal with the setbacks as an Ayr United fan. Maybe it's my age?!

Agree with Wattoo we have nothing to fear but our squad experience is poor should have brought a couple more in January , have to put away Morton on Saturday first, can you imagine the feed back if we were in Queen’s Park position and there recent  results this site would be in meltdown.

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Talking about fantasies, there is a middle ground…

Aye, the consistently inconsistent zone. 

That's where I am, I expect we'll get at least 54 points emulating 2018/19 and a fourth place finish. 

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, the consistently inconsistent zone. 

That's where I am, I expect we'll get at least 54 points emulating 2018/19 and a fourth place finish. 

Absolutely, we will pick up the odd result and combined with other results we will be in the battle of second but we will then just immediately lose. 

Yup.  I'm quite confident we will do enough on Saturday to get the win against Morton, which in turn will persuade a decent sized travelling support to head along to what will be marketed as a HUGE game at Firhill the following week.  Which we will then be absolutely honking and get beat.    

18 hours ago, WATTOO said:

What I don't get from some of our fans is how they can honestly say that we're underdogs and even no hopers against all our remaining opponents, despite the fact we've already beaten four of them fair and square, we're currently above all of them in the league (with the exception of QP) and we have better recent form than them also.

As such, what gives people such negative thoughts ?

Yes, we have had some poor performances but so have all our opponents with many of them much worse than our own, we've also got a virtually fully fit squad and arguably the best player in the league on our side.

The other thing which annoys me is that our good results and performances are glossed over by some and negative spin put on anything at all which we are doing well, as I've said before, I honestly just don't get it. Nobody is saying that the current squad are world beaters but they're certainly good enough (as they've already proven) to compete with ANYONE in this league and as such I think some should be giving them some credit for what they've already achieved up to this point.....

Pretty much agree with all of the above post . We are where we are which is a million miles away from relegation but too weak in certain areas for  the title and probably going up through the play offs as well . The squad isn't the finished article yet , we all know this . However the journey continues , there will be a review in the summer and no doubt a lessons learned session as well . More recruitment will follow that , the infrastructure will kick on again and the football club will grow and prepare for the next step . It's exciting times being a Ayr fan and the trajectory is upward . Some on here should try to enjoy the journey,  bumpy though it may be at times ,instead of peeing  on their own chips week in week out , in what I can only guess is an attempt at comedy.

Saturday tomorrow , Morton at home in a 3pm kick off , beers in the Hub before and after , simple working class pleasures . I funking love it .....