The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

We offered him a new contract though, so Bullen must have seen something in him.  

We also went out and signed a new striker at the start of the summer before Adeloye was even away so I doubt he was that bothered about him staying. That’s certainly the impression I got at the vision night. Same with James Maxwell. 

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

You can put up with a lot if you have a goalscorer I suspect. But I don't think Bullen would go chasing him to sign. 

The only player we made a huge effort to keep was McInroy. Sure they said he would’ve been our highest earner. He’s the type of player you can build a team around so that’s fair enough. 

We obviously offered Adeloye a new deal but Dipo signed very early on which would tell you he was one of our main targets. I think once he was in the club weren’t overly fussed about Adeloye staying as they already had their guy. It was a brave decision given the goals Adeloye had scored but it was the right one. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Careful now, that doesn't fit the narrative.

Bullen certainly didn’t say anything at the vision night suggesting he thought he was lazy.  More that he was a complex character who needed a good bit of man management - I took it to mean that he was a bit of a confidence player who’s confidence was always on a bit of a knife edge.  It was unfortunate that he caught covid just at the point Bullen was appointed - I wondered at the time if it took more out of him than we realised as he was definitely off the pace through most of that January.  His performance coming off the bench against Kilmarnock in the 2-1 game was outstanding though and as others have said, we’d have been relegated for sure without him.  Given the McGinty redemption arc, it would have been interesting to see what Bullen could have done with him over a longer period.

Just now, Nelson said:

Bullen certainly didn’t say anything at the vision night suggesting he thought he was lazy.  More that he was a complex character who needed a good bit of man management - I took it to mean that he was a bit of a confidence player who’s confidence was always on a bit of a knife edge.  It was unfortunate that he caught covid just at the point Bullen was appointed - I wondered at the time if it took more out of him than we realised as he was definitely off the pace through most of that January.  His performance coming off the bench against Kilmarnock in the 2-1 game was outstanding though and as others have said, we’d have been relegated for sure without him.  Given the McGinty redemption arc, it would have been interesting to see what Bullen could have done with him over a longer period.

He called him lazy at the Q&A a couple of weeks ago. 

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It really is a beyond absurd comment to say that he was bound to score the odd goal as we had nine or ten defensive players alongside him. If anything that’s literally a compliment. 

In Hopkin’s last game, we had a midfield 4 of Maxwell, McAllister, Muirhead and Joe Chalmers.  Good luck to any striker trying to score a goal with that lot providing the service!

Nobody can seriously question Tomi's goal return and indeed how he performed for us, however if playing devils advocate I could also see how he angered some people with his at times moody demeanour and unwillingness to chase a lost cause (unlike Dipo) but I believe that was just his character.

I think his off field activities also didn't help matters as he never seemed totally committed at a time when we were in a bit of trouble and a low ebb in terms of confidence, league position and general feeling around the club.

That said, I personally rated him as a striker and would happily have seen him back had we not signed Rose.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Nobody can seriously question Tomi's goal return and indeed how he performed for us, however if playing devils advocate I could also see how he angered some people with his at times moody demeanour and unwillingness to chase a lost cause (unlike Dipo) but I believe that was just his character.

Tomi was signed after a trial with the club, the club before Ayr was Easy Kilbride, so I don't think it's arrogance or stroppiness. Maybe he had the knowledge he could do better than Ayr one day 🤔

I think it was more anger on his part at the team around him. His confidence may have been knocked a few times but he still produced.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

If he’s ahead of schedule, then I don’t think anyone will be complaining.  My point was that it wouldn’t be a massive surprise if he needs another 2-3 weeks to get fully up to speed.  He only signed on Friday, so we’re probably still assessing where he is in his rehab which probably explains why he wasn’t risked in any way last night.

Apologies, I thought your point was that he was in the middle of a 4-6 month injury recovery. I agree that he will need 2-3 weeks to get game fit. 

23 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Can’t wait for 12 months time when Dipo is also regarded as being quite shite and we didn’t really need him tbh. Tomi kept us in this division somehow whether anyone likes it or not.

This. We would have been relegated without his goals. Had off days and missed chances occasionally but overall play up top was also fine - when he got the service. Anyone would look "lazy" if your game is having the ball into feet to take defenders on or bring others into play and instead you have to watch the ball sail over your head for 90 minutes. 

He wasn't the best striker we've had, not by a long shot, but I find the comments about him being shite and lazy to be extremely unfair. At the time, I couldn't believe that anyone could watch our hoofball and complete lack of tactics and come to the conclusion that the real person at fault was Adeloye.

Anyways, will be interesting to see how he gets on if he does sign with someone in this league. The step up at Swindon seems to have been a bit much and he hasn't played much for a couple years.

He missed most of the English pre-season last summer, which was a product of him waiting for a decent deal. He started the first game for Swindon and was really poor, by all accounts. I think it was only a few more sub appearances until he pulled a muscle and basically didn't feature much after that. I'm sure he will be on some decent coin at Swindon so it'd be interesting to know what % of his wages the skint lot from Glasgow intend to pay him, were he to sign. 

I think the lazy narrative comes from the spell where Bullen wouldn't play him, I seem to remember the chat being that he wasn't trying very hard in training compared to the other players. The way Thistle played in the playoffs he would have a field day with Championship defences!

I think the problem with Tomi was down to attitude and application.

Bullen said he needed an arm round him, he needed constant reassurance.  He was scoring goals and sticking his fingers in his ears, shite like that.

There comes a time where the compassion and time spent on an individual runs out and you just think, f**k them.

We tried to re-sign him, he fucked us about, his agent was caught out making stuff up trying to get a better deal and he went back down south, where he struggled to make any impact at all. 

From The outside, he looks like a guy who wants to be a footballer without actually playing football. 

As a club and a manager, you can only do so much for a player and I think that once he was gone, there would be a bit of a relief that the pantomime around him had ended.

2 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

He missed most of the English pre-season last summer, which was a product of him waiting for a decent deal. He started the first game for Swindon and was really poor, by all accounts. I think it was only a few more sub appearances until he pulled a muscle and basically didn't feature much after that. I'm sure he will be on some decent coin at Swindon so it'd be interesting to know what % of his wages the skint lot from Glasgow intend to pay him, were he to sign. 

I think the lazy narrative comes from the spell where Bullen wouldn't play him, I seem to remember the chat being that he wasn't trying very hard in training compared to the other players. The way Thistle played in the playoffs he would have a field day with Championship defences!

The Swindon manager also called him out in the paper for not trying 100%. No doubt he has lots of talent and his target man ability is difficult to play against.  At this moment in time though when analysis of stats and team effort are closely assessed then he's running into problems.  Needs to find a team who will be happy with the goals he scores and care less about analysis 

I spoke to Bullen after the Thistle survival game in the Hub , he said Tomi could only do 70mins and that was a huge issue . That's maybe why Thistle can have him and Graham . They will be sharing the workload more than playing together ..