The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

I'm surprised home crowds have stayed relatively decent around 2,000 mark however i believe a large amount of complimentary's are being dished about which probably helps that. 

I honestly don't even know where we start with the squad as it's an imbalanced unorganised terrible mess, I know what i'd do with all the guys who are actually Ayr United players and not loans....

Albinson - Keep

Mutch - Keep

McAllister - Release 

Reading - Release 

Musonda - Release 

McGinty - Keep

Murdoch - Release 

Dempsey - Release 

Rose - Release 

McGeady - Give up football side of things

Stanger - Keep

Murphy - Keep

Amartay - Keep

Smith - Loan out or Release 

Ollie Ecrepont - Keep

Syla - Hardly played so not seen enough to judge 

Finn Ecrepont - Release 

McKenzie - Release 

Tomlinson - Loan

Guthrie - Loan

Bryden - Loan

Watret - Loan 

Jenkins - Loan 

Viviani - Loan 

Only 7 players from the current squad of players who i feel would be good enough to stay and build a squad around that can compete towards the top end of the league, and 3 of those 7 are goalkeepers so only 4 outfield players. Stanger and Amartay have shown flashes to suggest they can develop and improve and McGinty and Murphy are experienced guys now who can do a job. 

If we're keeping the young academy players we need to start loaning them out to clubs at league 2 level for example instead of just sitting on them and never actually getting a chance around the 1st team apart from a reserve league kick about every fortnight down at Cumnock. 

Out of the guys we have on loan from their parent club the only two we should try and sign permanently are Chalmers and Dowds.

Release Dempsey? Really? 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Yes.

Think you're the first person to actually agree with me on this. Our midfield has been rotten for ages.

If we played Cove every week he'd be a sensation. Seems to be immune from criticism because he scored some penalties.

Again though, maybe a better manager gets more out of him. I'd keep him as a squad player but an upgrade shouldn't be hard to find.

4 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Think you're the first person to actually agree with me on this. Our midfield has been rotten for ages.

If we played Cove every week he'd be a sensation. Seems to be immune from criticism because he scored some penalties.

Again though, maybe a better manager gets more out of him. I'd keep him as a squad player but an upgrade shouldn't be hard to find.

I think you'll see a better player with a full pre season behind him after his injury. 

That and somebody like a Scott Martin or Jason Holt type to properly anchor the midfield and let him get further up the pitch.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I think you'll see a better player with a full pre season behind him after his injury. 

That and somebody like a Scott Martin or Jason Holt type to properly anchor the midfield and let him get further up the pitch.

Yeah, he's definately better when he's further up the pitch. Receiving the ball from the keeper, which Bullen seems intent on implementing, is definately not his game. Our midfield has either been getting the ball booted over the top of them or been totally bullied and overran for well over a year now.

Players have to take a bit of responsibility but it's hard not to see a situation where a better manager uses his players more effectively.

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Release Dempsey? Really? 

He's probably a 50/50 tbf depending on how he plays 2nd half of the season. 

Never thought he did particularly well at times last season and i'm not sure what kind of midfielder he's better at

55 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He has been at Dundee United for seven years and only played a smattering of games, he's been on loan for most of it. He said about a month ago, he hadn't spoken to anyone at Dundee United since he went out on loan. Unless he wants one last crack at first team football at Dundee United, I don't see him keen to go back. I am also not sure he'll want to commit to signing for Ayr beyond the end of the season when he'll likely have better financial offers in the summer

If Rovers go up Logan will join Josh in Kirkcaldy . I doubt we’ll bust the bank for a winger … 

8 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Agreed. If someone could outline what kind of player Dempsey actually is then I'm all ears. He is relatively competent at most things but we need far more presence in there than we currently have. 

He is a number eight IMO - loads of energy, breaks up play and sets the tempo of the side when he is on it. Decent enough on the ball and carries a goal threat too. 

Needs to play next to a Mark Kerr midfield dictator type, which was incredibly obvious at the start of the season but we did nothing about it. 

A different player but very much in the Docherty mould of being under appreciated . 

1 hour ago, Rb123 said:

I'm surprised home crowds have stayed relatively decent around 2,000 mark however i believe a large amount of complimentary's are being dished about which probably helps that. 

I honestly don't even know where we start with the squad as it's an imbalanced unorganised terrible mess, I know what i'd do with all the guys who are actually Ayr United players and not loans....

Albinson - Keep

Mutch - Keep

McAllister - Release 

Reading - Release 

Musonda - Release 

McGinty - Keep

Murdoch - Release 

Dempsey - Release 

Rose - Release 

McGeady - Give up football side of things

Stanger - Keep

Murphy - Keep

Amartay - Keep

Smith - Loan out or Release 

Ollie Ecrepont - Keep

Syla - Hardly played so not seen enough to judge 

Finn Ecrepont - Release 

McKenzie - Release 

Tomlinson - Loan

Guthrie - Loan

Bryden - Loan

Watret - Loan 

Jenkins - Loan 

Viviani - Loan 

Only 7 players from the current squad of players who i feel would be good enough to stay and build a squad around that can compete towards the top end of the league, and 3 of those 7 are goalkeepers so only 4 outfield players. Stanger and Amartay have shown flashes to suggest they can develop and improve and McGinty and Murphy are experienced guys now who can do a job. 

If we're keeping the young academy players we need to start loaning them out to clubs at league 2 level for example instead of just sitting on them and never actually getting a chance around the 1st team apart from a reserve league kick about every fortnight down at Cumnock. 

Out of the guys we have on loan from their parent club the only two we should try and sign permanently are Chalmers and Dowds.

A lot of this post is just plain crazy. 

I think Dempsey is over rated. He got MOTM yesterday. I can't have been the only person wondering how that was possible next to Young who covered every blade of grass (second half).

What sort of midfielder is Dempsey? Box to box? He seems like he does a bit of everything. I prefer him to Murdoch but he's no Mark Kerr, Kerr McInroy, Ross Docherty or Steven Kelly. Maybe I've been spoilt.

Edit - I'd still keep him mind.

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think Dempsey is over rated. He got MOTM yesterday. I can't have been the only person wondering how that was possible next to Young who covered every blade of grass (second half).

What sort of midfielder is Dempsey? Box to box? He seems like he does a bit of everything. I prefer him to Murdoch but he's no Mark Kerr, Kerr McInroy, Ross Docherty or Steven Kelly. Maybe I've been spoilt.

Edit - I'd still keep him mind.

He’s better than McInroy for me and technically probably better than Docherty although he’s probably more comparable with Young given the type of player he is. We won’t sign a midfielder as good as Mark Kerr this decade imo. It was ridiculous that we ended up getting him when he could’ve stayed in the Championship rather than dropping a level. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

What sort of midfielder is Dempsey? Box to box? He's seems like he does a bit of everything. I prefer him to Murdoch but he's no Mark Kerr, Kerr McInroy, Ross Docherty or Steven Kelly. Maybe I've been spoilt.

Receiving the ball in front of the defence he's rotten. He rarely sees a forward pass and looks uncomfortable.

I do think he can operate as a more attacking midfielder but he definately flatters to deceive and goes missing when the pressure is on. When was the last time our midfield took the game by the scruff of the neck and dictated things??? 

Not a lost cause but we need to play to his strengths.

1 minute ago, Scott-ish said:

Receiving the ball in front of the defence he's rotten. He rarely sees a forward pass and looks uncomfortable.

I do think he can operate as a more attacking midfielder but he definately flatters to deceive and goes missing when the pressure is on. When was the last time our midfield took the game by the scruff of the neck and dictated things??? 

Not a lost cause but we need to play to his strengths.

The midfield are fairly young and a few of them aren't even our players, and I'm not sure I see Dempsey or Murdoch as really being the vocal organising type. Maybe that's what we need 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s better than McInroy for me and technically probably better than Docherty although he’s probably more comparable with Young given the type of player he is. We won’t sign a midfielder as good as Mark Kerr this decade imo. It was ridiculous that we ended up getting him when he could’ve stayed in the Championship rather than dropping a level. 

I dunno about that, McInroy used to drive up the pitch himself and scored a few goals. Dempsey scores occasionally (other than penalties). I also thought McInroy was overrated tbf.

I do prefer Young to Dempsey. I wouldn't be punting Dempsey. 

Murdoch 1.0 was a very good midfielder but he's not really got back to that level post injury.

Agree wrt. Kerr, a class act. Remember we had central midfield options of Kerr, Kelly, Docherty & Murdoch. Halcyon days!