The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye those strong runners like Bryden and McKenzie are much better options. 

Yup cause we absolutely won’t sign any replacements for players who leave and will just default to what we have.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Yup cause we absolutely won’t sign any replacements for players who leave and will just default to what we have.

What is the context of this current discussion please?

Just now, Thumper said:

What is the context of this current discussion please?

Why do Ayr train in the front of the Railway End, no?

Signing McAlister on is absolutely sensible. Aye we know his limitations but we also know he'll not spit the dummy if he's not 1st choice.

Does anybody seriously think we'd have success at finding 2 new RBs for next season and trying to convince one of them that they'd not be starting every game.

Aye he's limited but it's better the devil you know right now.

And he's better than Nathan Patterson so should be starting for Scotland at the Euros. Mon the Nick.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Might be so but he still isn’t worth the money it would take to sign him. If the likes of Dunfermline or Raith want to spend that cash on him next season they can. I don’t see how he returns enough to warrant it. 

I think he is and we don’t actually have any idea what it would take to sign him  - signing actual football players helps sell season tickets, there is potential there for resale value and if he maintains his first half of the season form for longer he is one of the best players in the league. 

If we don’t sign him, we certainly won’t sign anyone any better. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s worked perfectly for the fullbacks so why not eh?

1 minute ago, Scott-ish said:

Does anybody seriously think we'd have success at finding 2 new RBs for next season and trying to convince one of them that they'd not be starting every game.

This is a consideration for every single non-tinpot football club in the world, let alone ones who currently have about five players forced into makeshift positions due to the lack of cover.

Chalmers is 24 and hasn’t played anything other than loan football. His development phase is over. There’s no scope for improvement. 

He's immense here and there but anonymous most of the time. 

I worry that us trying to tie down Chalmers to a deal will be like trying to get Adeloye again. Fixated on an inconsistent player at the expense of just focusing on  bringing in 3-4 half decent players at this level. 

1 minute ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

I worry that us trying to tie down Chalmers to a deal will be like trying to get Adeloye again.

This is moving the goalposts. Trying to sign him again is different from freezing him out while he's still getting paid. And he's not even the only one.

I suppose another frustration with McAllister signing on is it puts a bit of a stop gap on Watret for next season unless we’re running with those pair as our number one and two in that position. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I think he is and we don’t actually have any idea what it would take to sign him  - signing actual football players helps sell season tickets, there is potential there for resale value and if he maintains his first half of the season form for longer he is one of the best players in the league. 

If we don’t sign him, we certainly won’t sign anyone any better. 

I think the best way I can describe him is frustrating. He should’ve been having a far greater impact on games this season and he had a wee purple patch but outside that I think he’s been underwhelming. Definitely not as good as he was last season although maybe that’s the change of position. 

There’s been a lot of games I’ve seen where the full back gets the better of him in the first five minutes and that’s him done. I don’t think the pitch at Somerset helps. It’s no coincidence that his best games this season have come away from home on a wider pitch where he can get on the outside and away quicker. 

I think if he gets fit then he needs to play as he obviously still has more output than Bryden but I think if the best you’re hoping for with a wide player is one good game in five then you can get a cheaper alternative. The teams that win this league very rarely have outstanding options out wide. It’s in their defence, central midfield and up front that makes the difference. If he was willing to take a big cut from his rumoured wage at Dundee United then fair enough but I can see teams being willing to pay more and I don’t think we should get drawn into that. 

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

It’s worked perfectly for the fullbacks so why not eh?

We signed a right back in the summer. He was horrible but we did sign one. And would’ve signed a left back if it wasn’t for injuries elsewhere. 

I think also people need to look at the summer past and remember that Bullen deciding to f**k off for a fortnight probably killed us. He is obviously entitled to a holiday like everyone and I’m not proposing we lock Brown in a room until all the signings are done but those first couple of weeks after the season ends are crucial and the club were just absolutely no where in that time. 

10 minutes ago, Thumper said:

This is moving the goalposts. Trying to sign him again is different from freezing him out while he's still getting paid. And he's not even the only one.

What goalposts? Is he being frozen out? f**k knows why he’s not playing. 

Just now, Coollestersmoothe said:

Frozen out is probably too strong but Brown doesn’t seem to fancy him. 

Just now, Coollestersmoothe said:

I am sure on an interview on AUTV in last 2 weeks it was mentioned that Chalmers was injured 

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s been a lot of games I’ve seen where the full back gets the better of him in the first five minutes and that’s him done. I don’t think the pitch at Somerset helps. It’s no coincidence that his best games this season have come away from home on a wider pitch where he can get on the outside and away quicker. 

This happened last season too but very often Chalmers and Mullen would swap wings during the match. That made a big difference and made them both more effective during games.

I miss Mullen.

26 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

This happened last season too but very often Chalmers and Mullen would swap wings during the match. That made a big difference and made them both more effective during games.

I miss Mullen.

Wouldn’t give him a three year deal due to his age which at the time I kind of understood but then proceeded to give Murphy and McGeady two years.