The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I was just meaning that it is usually better to have a player signed directly to your club as it avoids potential situations like players being recalled (agreement dependent) but that there weren’t a lot of decent keepers about to sign.

I'd maybe want a more experienced Goalkeeper as opposed to two youngsters. We all know how unforgiving the Somerset faithful can be when things go wrong and not all young players respond well to the pressure / abuse as we've seen often in the past.

I'm also not a great fan of Loans period, as you're basically developing another clubs player with little to gain from it. If he does bad he can just shrug it off and walk back to his parent club, if he does well, he just goes back to his parent club and we're back to square one.  There's also sometimes the feeling that a Loan player isn't exactly giving his all to the club he's loaned to.

That said, there doesn't appear to be that much out there and McCrorie may indeed be a top keeper in the making which we'd be lucky to have for a season, especially if Rangers are paying all / most of his wages, so I suppose it's all swings and roundabouts..............

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Signing Ferguson is far more important than signing Murdoch. We have Absoulotely no cover for fullback. 

Tbh I’m not really even sure  we should be giving  Ferguson a new deal. Like Hart he should find a level where he can play each week and prove himself. Guessing he wants to stay full time with this being his only option so is willing to take a gamble on a deal appearing. Murdoch would be a good signing and we should doing everything to make it happen. Unlike a lot of our squad he’s proven at this level and would bring a bit more certainty to midfield 

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Tbh I’m not really even sure  we should be giving  Ferguson a new deal. Like Hart he should find a level where he can play each week and prove himself. Guessing he wants to stay full time with this being his only option so is willing to take a gamble on a deal appearing. Murdoch would be a good signing and we should doing everything to make it happen. Unlike a lot of our squad he’s proven at this level and would bring a bit more certainty to midfield 

Ferguson isn’t great but as we have literally no cover for the fullback areas other than Finn Ecrepont then we need to sign either him or someone else who can play LB/RB. 

I’d love for Murdoch to sign, a very classy player on last nights showing and Morton fans rate him very highly. 

IMG_2589.jpg
Looks like the away strip is in the shop now. Wasn’t sure when I saw it at the POTY but I’m fully on board with it now.

I also agree that it’s important we get Ferguson signed up. He’s a good utility player to have that can cover both full backs (not keen on him at CB) and that’ll be crucial as I’d expect Geggan to pick up a few knocks throughout the season although I’d like to think Ecrepont would slot in if Harvie was unavailable.

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Ferguson isn’t great but as we have literally no cover for the fullback areas other than Finn Ecrepont then we need to sign either him or someone else who can play LB/RB. 

I’d love for Murdoch to sign, a very classy player on last nights showing and Morton fans rate him very highly. 

Can Higgins, Rose and Bell not cover right back? Ferguson will be better for being a year older but not really sure how it would work in the championship for him

Can Higgins, Rose and Bell not cover right back? Ferguson will be better for being a year older but not really sure how it would work in the championship for him

Rose can cover RB. Bell and Higgins can’t.

16 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

As D’Jaffo said Rose can cover cover right back but he’s our best centre half so this should only be done in an emergency I.e. first and second choice both unavailable. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

As D’Jaffo said Rose can cover cover right back but he’s our best centre half so this should only be done in an emergency I.e. first and second choice both unavailable. 

Still think our best centre half is up for debate and all of them have something to prove this season

Can’t be bothered multi quoting.

Firstly, don’t see the point in having two “senior keepers” Absolute waste of the budget. Just important you get h e first choice right.

I would agree the Murdoch/Ferguson situation is frustrating. Especially with Murdoch as we could lose out by fucking about. We have signed one player! If Docherty ever gets fit I imagine first choice would be him and Murdoch, with quite allot in reserve.

Absolute no brainier Murdoch is better than anything we've got in the midfield, Ferguson struggled in league one so hope McCall doesn't gamble on him if it doesn't let him get Murdoch.

Still  would like centre half instead of ferguson and a keeper  with experience please could make the difference in keeping us up.

Dont think Docherty or Higgins will be available for some time yet, and in the case of Higgins maybe longer.

Brennan is the Berwick sub goalie.
On Murdoch, if we allow someone of his calibre to sign elsewhere, then something’s wrong. He’s obviously hoping for a contract. No brainier.

If we sign Murdoch then it could be McCalls best bit of business at the club (bar Shankland). We’re not going to get the chance to sign a player of his calibre again so we can’t allow him to slip through our fingers.

Murdoch would be a brilliant signing I'd rather have him than Ferguson. I know that it would leave us short at full back but potentially we have 4 centre backs 2 left backs in Harvie and Ecrepont and Geggan at RB and rose can cover him in an emergency

Think 'all the young dudes' will play a big part this season when the injuries kick in.

Think it will be good for them and good for the club.

Keeps us within budget and keeps the journeymen jobbers away from San Somerset.

If this squad can't keep us up, then we don't deserve to stay up as a club.

Got to try and push on and live within our means. A good trick if we get it right.