The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Now really isn’t the time to panic. Just because we can’t name potential targets off the top of our heads doesn’t mean our actual manager is the same.

The reality is that Hopkin was always up against it because he either wasn’t people’s first choice or people weren’t happy with the results after he came in. I don’t see why we can’t wait and see what state the squad is in just before we play Albion Rovers. I don’t think there’s any other clubs in this league that have completed squads yet.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Because he signed 2 players you don’t like?

Folk acting like we’ve went and signed the entire Morton team with stuff like this.

C’mon - on the whole our early signings have been rancid. We need some sort of signing to show we are planning to be anything other than relegation fodder next season. 

C’mon - on the whole our early signings have been rancid. We need some sort of signing to show we are planning to be anything other than relegation fodder next season. 

We’ve signed 4 players. Two good and two pretty shite. To write the whole thing off as rancid is a stretch.

I agree that we need signings but folk are laying blame at Hopkins door when he hasn’t actually done anything wrong.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve signed 4 players. Two good and two pretty shite. To write the whole thing off as rancid is a stretch.

I agree that we need signings but folk are laying blame at Hopkins door when he hasn’t actually done anything wrong.

We currently only have defenders and a midfield that nearly got us relegated last season that’s it!  I wouldn’t say it was rancid but it’s giving me the absolute fear. 

I also think hopkin was the wrong choice but I said that from the start before he was appointed 

Has he not? Why did every play baring Moffat (a club legend) and two youngsters decide to bolt at the first opportunity. 

He offered Sean McGinty more money than Morton were offering and he signed Cameron Salkeld, who was the definition of 'surplus to requirements' even in a poor squad.

What does he have to do before you get to 'wrong'?

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I would counter with two shite, one meh and one who hasn’t previously played at this level. Though I agree, sounds like a good signing.

Not blaming Hopkins at the moment, but if no quality is added in the next two weeks then I will be. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We should already have the vast majority of our squad in place with only a few more tweaks here and there but no we are still requiring several players. 

Like most clubs 

50 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t think it’s the fact we didn’t sign Todorov, it’s the concern that Hopkin has no plan or clue. Signing Todorov was a move in the right direction and it looks like he’s fucked it. 

Dunfermline option only became available late last week after McManus was sold , his agent is McNamara so you can see how he ended up at Dunfermline 

Has he not? Why did every play baring Moffat (a club legend) and two youngsters decide to bolt at the first opportunity. 

McCowan left because he got an offer from Dundee. Not sure how that correlates to Hopkin tbf.

I’ve said it before but I don’t think Hopkin was that bothered about keeping Moore, Walsh or anyone else that left barring McCowan. A few players not wanting to stay and play for him isn’t massive. Players left or didn’t return to Ayr because they didn’t like McCall you know.

People are desperate to use any stick they can find to beat Hopkin with tbh and it’s a bit boring now.

When I said like most clubs , and you not liking the comment ayrunitedfw , name the clubs who have finished all their dealings for the coming season , or is it just Ayr who have not finished their signing and that’s why you are not happy 

Edited by Finlay21

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Fair play to Dunfermline, as I said must have given him a good deal, as led to believe he was offered a decent deal at Ayr 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

There was as much chance as there was of him signing for us given we also offered him a deal. If Dunfermline have offered the guy mad money to blow Ayr or whoever else out the water fair play to them. 

We wouldn't need to blow Ayr out the water though, Todorov has made it pretty clear he wanted to move to the East Coast.

Don't get me wrong, we absolutely would be able to offer more cash but that doesn't need to have happened here, Todorov got an offer 2 weeks ago from Ayr, a team from a location he doesn't want to live in for a team more likely to be at the bottom rather than the top of the table.

Having sold McManus towards the end of the week we've gave him a shout and he's evidently allot keener to come here, seeing as we play in the part of the country he wants to live, you don't then need to blow Ayrs offer out the window because we're already a far nicer propositions.

Surely he was just as likely to sign for Inverness than sign for Ayr?

Edited by Grant228

7 minutes ago, Iain said:

Squad may look terrible, but at least the manager got a nice holiday after working a whole six weeks or so this year. Priorities.

Not being at Somerset is hardly the same thing as not working. Home working is de rigueur these days.

Edited by RedEd

To be fair, looking at the business already done across the division, we're certainly not behind everyone.

Still a lot of movement to happen everywhere and plenty of free agents about to be picked up.

Taking information from the highly recommended Narey's toepoker blog. The total in's vs out's (including Loans returning):

Arbroath - 3 IN 8 OUT

Ayr United -  4 IN 11 OUT

Dunfermline - 2 IN 11 OUT

Greenock Morton - 1 IN 13 OUT

Hamilton - 2 IN 9 OUT

ICT - 1 IN 8 OUT

Kilmarnock - 7 IN 20 OUT

Partick Thistle - 5 IN 9 OUT

QOTS - 4 IN 17 OUT

Raith Rovers - 6 IN 13 OUT

8 minutes ago, Iain said:

Squad may look terrible, but at least the manager got a nice holiday after working a whole six weeks or so this year. Priorities.

At least he will have a tan to match the colour of his hair.

Edited by THEHonestman1910

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

also don't believe that we're "about a month" behind all the others in this league and as for Todorov, it would seem that was completely outwith the control of Hopkin, the bod and everyone connected with Ayr United.

All the players that we could have signed, based on previous form at this level or above are now signed by teams round about us because they did business early. McManus signs for a club and the following day they sign a player we were apparently on the verge of signing. Their manager has been in the door a matter of a few weeks and has been managing in the league less time than Hopkin.

We have known for a good couple of months that we were not going to have Smith, Zanatta or McCowan this year, we were going to have a 36 year old Moffat and potentially a semi-fit, semi-interested Walsh and a mediocre Todd. 

We should have players singled out with deals before the end of the season, players that we know are up to it and don’t need to invite them to preseason to take a look at them. We have signed 3 players from Morton, 2 of them would have struggled to get full time deals elsewhere in Scotland and a player that did well at a club almost relegated from the league below us. 

none of this has put my mind at ease that Hopkin isn’t making the same mistakes he made at Morton in a bizarre attempt to prove it works. 

the longer this goes on, the longer we are going to struggle to sign players the more money we will have to pay and the less quality will be available.

Bearing in mind Brexit and Covid, the pool we can sign from is a lot smaller. There is no evidence that Hopkin, who has had a longer holiday than Judith Chalmers this year has been actively looking at signing players up until the last week. 
the club press hasn’t helped that, apart from asking for season ticket renewals they have been silent. 

Haven’t really commented much about managers on here in the past but it does seem a bit like we’re sleepwalking ourselves into another relegation battle with the signings we have or in at least one occasion haven’t made so far. Both sides of the “for or against” Hopkin can be made no doubt but does have the feeling of a slightly less shite Roberts era. Hope I’m way off the Mark so to speak.

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We wouldn't need to blow Ayr out the water though, Todorov has made it pretty clear he wanted to move to the East Coast.

Don't get me wrong, we absolutely would be able to offer more cash but that doesn't need to have happened here, Todorov got an offer 2 weeks ago from Ayr, a team from a location he doesn't want to live in for a team more likely to be at the bottom rather than the top of the table.

Having sold McManus towards the end of the week we've gave him a shout and he's evidently allot keener to come here, seeing as we play in the part of the country he wants to live, you don't then need to blow Ayrs offer out the window because we're already a far nicer propositions.

Surely he was just as likely to sign for Inverness than sign for Ayr?

Yeah I mean my post was caveated saying "if that is what Dunfermline have done". If you have done that fair enough, if you haven't then also fair enough. As you say location seems to have been the most important consideration to the guy and he made it clear he wanted to go back to the central belt and if he makes a wee bit of extra paper along with relocating to an area he prefers to be then all the better for the him.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Yeah I mean my post was caveated saying "if that is what Dunfermline have done". If you have done that fair enough, if you haven't then also fair enough. As you say location seems to have been the most important consideration to the guy and he made it clear he wanted to go back to the central belt and if he makes a wee bit of extra paper along with relocating to an area he prefers to be then all the better for the him.

Hopefully, he's not shite.