The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

24 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

If I've got my stats right we haven't won there since August 2002 in the league?

Aye, even in the first half of 2018/2019, when we were battering teams all over the place - we managed to lose 5-0 down there.

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I actually went to the Falkirk thread to try and cheer myself up. However, when indulging in a bit of schadenfreude, I suddenly realised that could be us if we get relegated.

😳 And I was talking of curses! Don't jinx it.

Just keep telling yourself that we'll finish 6/7th, we'll get a couple of good players in January, we'll Get a sparkly new manager and do okay whilst Planning ahead for next season.

If none of the above happen... Then we pee oor pants!

Correct. It's like a fucking curse. When did they install that carpet? Is there any correlation?
2013, can't even blame that.

Our record on it recently has been honking as well. It's absolutely no way an advantage to us. And apparently it's of little financial benefit either. The sooner they get it to f**k, the better.

Just popped in to say what a bright spot Luke McCowan has been for us. Really talented player that causes havoc. Didn't notice him much whilst with yourselves, but he's now one of our star players.

11 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I actually went to the Falkirk thread to try and cheer myself up. However, when indulging in a bit of schadenfreude, I suddenly realised that could be us if we get relegated.

Yes a Falkirk team getting horsed each week and McGuffie and McDade can’t get a game🤔

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Just popped in to say what a bright spot Luke McCowan has been for us. Really talented player that causes havoc. Didn't notice him much whilst with yourselves, but he's now one of our star players.

Really pleased for him. I wasn't sure he was ready for the step up but glad he's doing well. He wears his heart on his sleeve and always gives his all. He can be his own worst critic though. Definitely miss him here.

45 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Yes a Falkirk team getting horsed each week and McGuffie and McDade can’t get a game🤔

Aye, seems bizarre given both contributed in our 2017/18 title winning season. I can only assume they have both regressed since. Not being able to get into that Falkirk side is an indictment.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

It’s no surprise to me! He’s a good player and is no shrinking violet when things are goi g wrong. Sometimes he tries too hard to make things come off but he’s young and will make the odd mistake. Good player and really could do with him here so if you could kindly arrange for a loan in January that’d be great! 

How poorly Hopkin utilised McCowan should really have shown us he should never have got a chance at managing a new season for us. 

McCowan was excellent, but very one footed. I would have said that Forrest was the better player though, however McCowan seems to have settled into life in the top league better. McCall clearly didn’t integrate him into our first team quickly enough!

14 hours ago, Trogdor said:

For all Falkirk's fan-wanking, much like Dunfermline they have a big enough regular support base that people will continue to chuck money at them to survive full-time in League One. Two seasons of this level of dreck under the current ownership after dropping a tier and Somerset Road will consist of a Morrisons with a beer garden.

Edited by Thumper

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

For all Falkirk's fan-wanking, much like Dunfermline they have a big enough regular support base that people will continue to chuck money at them to survive full-time in League One. Two seasons of this level of dreck under the current ownership after dropping a tier and Somerset Road will consist of a Morrisons with a beer garden.

...and a Hub?

That was what the beer garden bit referred to. Thought that should be obvious.

Anyway, the point stands. Lolkirk can afford to lose to amateurs and Highland League sides every week in League One while still being full-time and paying Gary Holt to do things like sign his own son. Billy big-baws Championship Ayr don't even seem to want to pay for enough club staff to handle all of the basic day-to-day running of the company, relying on merged positions, part-timers and volunteers. It is to be keenly hoped that any new stream of regular revenue goes towards fixing that in addition to whatever it's going to cost to bring in a defence that doesn't routinely fall asleep and at least one striker.

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our record on it recently has been honking as well. It's absolutely no way an advantage to us. And apparently it's of little financial benefit either. The sooner they get it to f**k, the better.

Aye, but we are straight up cursed at Palmerston. As mentioned on here even our best team in a generation was absolutely scudded down there.

39 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Aye, but we are straight up cursed at Palmerston. As mentioned on here even our best team in a generation was absolutely scudded down there.

Did McCall not consistently make a habit of spending the Saturday mornings before games in Dumfries visiting his granny or something?

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

It is to be keenly hoped that any new stream of regular revenue goes towards fixing that in addition to whatever it's going to cost to bring in a defence that doesn't routinely fall asleep and at least one striker.

Does anyone actually have an idea as to how much of a success the Hub is anticipated to be? The licensed trade faced its own challenges prior to and during the Covid period. It still does. Its a challenge to open a bar in the current climate. 

Location and limited opening times mean its going to be pretty restricted in its contribution to the club finances. Its going to have its own running costs to pay for before anybody buys a drink. 

Yes it's welcome, overdue and a step in the right direction but it's far from the answers to all of our prayers. 

A bit like the Burnley partnership.