The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Not following Hopkin may just have been because Martindale was aware he was an utter moron! Love that the manager is pitching in with building projects. 

Thanks for the context - that makes more sense. At the same time though - Bartley could be a very risky appointment, though that lessens the more responsibility  Martindale gives him I guess. 

To be fair though, Hopkin was off the back of the highest high of his managerial career at the time. He took us to back to back promotions, and the promotion to the Premier League we had the second lowest budget in the league (to Brechin's winless season). At that point in time he was a god in the eyes of Livi fans :D 

Every year Bartley has been here he's stepped up a level. Reserve manager, first team coach, assistant. Manager is the next logical step, apparently he's very highly regarded in coaching circles and was doing his badges all the way back to his time at Hibs. If he does get it, I imagine he'll have Martindale to help guide him, in the same way that it seems Hopkin had Martindale to guide him :D After all it was Hopkin's idea to hand off all transfer dealings to Martindale and that worked incredibly well.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’re apparently after Jamie Gullan from Hibs. Killie and St Johnstone also interested.

Another signing that would raise the bar . Both out of contract in May , so they might see playing every week as more important than a bigger club than Ayr at this time .

5 minutes ago, North British said:

So would I. This is exactly the type of signing we should be looking at . The four we need have to be in this caliber if we are to move forward with any kind of pace ..

St Mirren and Motherwell both after him apparently which would leave us little hope I'd think.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’re apparently after Jamie Gullan from Hibs. Killie and St Johnstone also interested.

I have no idea why Kilmarnock are interested given they have Hendry and Shaw as 9’s, Polworth and Robinson as 10’s and then a number of players that could play higher up out wide. Wouldn’t exactly say that is a position they needed to upgrade. It would be a good signing for us to play in behind Tomi though. 

On Gogic, he was a pretty regular starter for Hibs - we can’t really expect him to drop down a level from the top end of the league above. 

Let’s wait and see what Mathie is capable of .

We won’t be signing Gogic. We can hope for decent signings but we won’t be signing guys that were regularly playing for Hibs. He’s above our level and unrealistic for us.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

On Gogic, he was a pretty regular starter for Hibs - we can’t really expect him to drop down a level from the top end of the league above.

Mathie did . Just saying . Optimistic to the end .

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did brilliant at his first loan stint at Raith and was then anonymous there last year if i recall correctly however there's a player in there, not sure how we can get Gullan if Hibs aren't happy with how we've treated Bradley in terms of minutes on the park. Unless it's a case of giving Bradley back and getting Gullan in return. 

If this happens i'd imagine it confirms Afalobi will be going back to Celtic

Where did you see this?

I heard a few days we had enquired about him but thought he might’ve been out our reach. Just saw a tweet from a random Hibs fan saying we are after him. Might be shite, might not be but it’s a signing rumour and we don’t usually get a lot of them.

It would be typical Ayr where we're all excited about this transfer window and who we're bringing in, to end up losing Maxwell and Bradley who've been two of our best players and actually end up weaker than we were before !!

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I heard a few days we had enquired about him but thought he might’ve been out our reach. Just saw a tweet from a random Hibs fan saying we are after him. Might be shite, might not be but it’s a signing rumour and we don’t usually get a lot of them.

Aye just seen that, seems Killie and St Johnstone are after him too, would be surprised if he comes to us if that's the case

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think we'll get more rumours with Mathie about now, in the last week there's been more news in daily rangers and the sun about Ayr than the previous 51 weeks of the year combined!

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It would be typical Ayr where we're all excited about this transfer window and who we're bringing in, to end up losing Maxwell and Bradley who've been two of our best players and actually end up weaker than we were before !!

Your usually more positive than this.

FWIW I don't think we'll lose Bradley. I think its 50/50 with Maxwell though. With Dunfermline and Partick involved and us being manageress I am not as confident as I'd like to be.

21 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Think we'll get more rumours with Mathie about now, in the last week there's been more news in daily rangers and the sun about Ayr than the previous 51 weeks of the year combined!

More exposure is a good thing and Mathie has helped with that and communication straight away.

It's another reason I want a manger who will generate a bit of buzz like McCall did. We need that to galvanise the support and the local area. 

11 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Your usually more positive than this.

FWIW I don't think we'll lose Bradley. I think its 50/50 with Maxwell though. With Dunfermline and Partick involved and us being manageress I am not as confident as I'd like to be.

I'm actually a bit of a pessimist / cynic, I just tend to put a brave face on when posting here normally !!

Prior to Sunday, losing either or both wouldn't have bothered me too much if we were replacing them with quality and experienced Midfielders, however both were superb and made it pretty clear that if played in the correct way they could both be top class at this level.

It would be especially annoying if we were to lose one or both to a direct rival.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

More exposure is a good thing and Mathie has helped with that and communication straight away.

It's another reason I want a manger who will generate a bit of buzz like McCall did. We need that to galvanise the support and the local area. 

Agree 100%