The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I heard it was a hard no from someone.

From which end? 

Assuming Bartley’s if we are looking at the likes of Canning. Though saying that, it would be a fantastic opportunity for someone like Bartley. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

From which end? 

Assuming Bartley’s if we are looking at the likes of Canning. Though saying that, it would be a fantastic opportunity for someone like Bartley. 

A Livi fan said he is expected to be offered the role there in the coming months. Maybe an incentive to keep him. 

From which end? 

Assuming Bartley’s if we are looking at the likes of Canning. 

No idea if he knocked us back or if we passed on him.

Finlay did suggest that he is being touted as Martindales successor in the next year or two so that might’ve been enough for him to want to stay put. He was definitely interviewed though, along with (what has been said and what I’ve heard) Canning, McManus and someone else.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

No idea if he knocked us back or if we passed on him.

Finlay did suggest that he is being touted as Martindales successor in the next year or two so that might’ve been enough for him to want to stay put. He was definitely interviewed though, along with (what has been said and what I’ve heard) Canning, McManus and someone else.

You could possibly assume, if he came for interview that it is possibly on our end then. 

If the rumours around being offered the Livingston job are true, you wouldn’t imagine he would attend for interview in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You could possibly assume, if he came for interview that it is possibly on our end then. 

If the rumours around being offered the Livingston job are true, you wouldn’t imagine he would attend for interview in the first place. 

Perhaps the interview made Lavvy reconsider their positions?

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Unless they’ve made that move / promise to him on the back of him having an interview with us as they don’t want to lose him. 

I don’t really buy that Livingston suddenly wanted to keep Bartley so much, that he was offered a route to the management job tbh. It seems a bit reactionary. If Bartley was being groomed to take over from Martindale, you would imagine that process was already in place and not prompted by an interview elsewhere. 

You never know though, I guess!

For all we know Bartley was maybe interviewed and stated that he wished to also concentrate on other work outwith the position being offered, however we've told him that we want him totally committed to us and us alone ??

Who knows ?

Jut making stuff up now.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Martindale is fairly young and doesn't seem in a rush to go anywhere else so I don't see why he'd be expecting a successor to be needed in the next year or two.

Yes, and he has also waited to be the main man for several years. It would be very strange to give that up to go back to his old role so soon. Strikes me as fans coming up with something for no apparent reason. 

Martindale is fairly young and doesn't seem in a rush to go anywhere else so I don't see why he'd be expecting a successor to be needed in the next year or two.

A few Livingston fans seemed sure he’d be moving up to a DOF role in the near future and that Bartley would be seen as his replacement. I was all for Bartley being our next manager. Thought he’d have done well.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He has indicated that he is looking to move to director of football soon at Livingston, he maybe want to per-sue  that earlier than he planned 

14 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I thought Martin Canning was a DKB, but a quick Google revealed that I was wrong and thinking of someone else.

Sorry Martin!

There was a Mark Canning who came through at Kilmarnock then bounced around a few lower league clubs before ending up in the Juniors.

Anyway, Martin Canning would be an interesting appointment for fans of every other club. It would be good to see if scraping to 30-35 points and hoping another club would be an even bigger shambles would be the limit of his abilities everywhere he went, or if he actually could take a team like Ayr comfortably into mid-table suggesting he can perform to par with a side. If he did that you could use it to retrospectively argue that he was actually performing to par all along by keeping Hamilton up, rather than them surviving in spite of him when they could have been doing much better.

I'd have been livid if we'd appointed him though. Let someone else be the guinea pigs for that, because all the evidence suggests he's an irredeemably shite manager. At least Hopkin and Duffy had some successes in their past and you can see why a board could be led into thinking they were sensible appointments despite their failures. Canning only has failure.

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

He has indicated that he is looking to move to director of football soon at Livingston, he maybe want to per-sue  that earlier than he planned 

He was previously “head of football operations” though - so it’s really just a step back to where he was before. Would seem pretty pointless after working so hard to become a manager. 

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If it was to happen, there'll be fairly important reasons that only Martindale and a few others know about.