The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think we all know he has something to offer up front as part of a front two - whereas he is completely ineffective out wide. Not as a starter for me mind, but hopefully another season of development for him… 

Give him another 5 years and still wont make a difference 

People are judging McKenzie based on when he was played out of position the same way they judged Crawford when he was victim of the same thing. 

He’s absolutely fine as a striker at this level when he’s alongside someone else. 

McKenzie has absolutely improved in the past couple of seasons imo. He still can't lead the line himself, I don't think he ever will because he just doesn't have those skills, but if he is utilised in the right set up he is perfectly capable asset at this level.

11 minutes ago, AuAl said:

McKenzie has absolutely improved in the past couple of seasons imo. He still can't lead the line himself, I don't think he ever will because he just doesn't have those skills, but if he is utilised in the right set up he is perfectly capable asset at this level.

He would be a good partner for a prolific striker and does a lot of the "dirty work". However, he is not the kind of striker you can rely on to score a load of goals.

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

People are judging McKenzie based on when he was played out of position the same way they judged Crawford when he was victim of the same thing. 

He’s absolutely fine as a striker at this level when he’s alongside someone else. 

So how come he is forced out wide them ? Doesn't fit the system or bullet doesn't rate him there 

Yeah McKenzie is fine as a striker as long as his partner is a better player.  

He takes up good positions in the box but lacks the finishing ability to be the main man.  If he has a partner who is a better player then taking up those positions is very useful as it creates space and time for his partner or a midfielder pushing into the box.  He has a good physical presence and knows what to expect from defenders at this level.  

He's absolutely a guy you could reliably pick to start and he'll give you a bunch of 6/10s.  

5 minutes ago, United1973 said:

So how come he is forced out wide them ? Doesn't fit the system or bullet doesn't rate him there 

IIRC last season he more often than not played in a front two with Akinyemi and did fine. He only played wide last season if we were short in that area like when Chalmers left and Mullin got injured. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bullen reiterating that he wants four in but it could be more if other players depart. I presume that’ll come down to what Ecrepont and maybe Ashford want to do? 

Surely to god, we'll have a couple in prior to St Johnstone on Tuesday. 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Surely to god, we'll have a couple in prior to St Johnstone on Tuesday. 

If not, then serious questions need to be asked tbh. 

With a week and a half until the league kicks off after that game and needing around four starters that would be a huge disadvantage to starting the season well. Bullen has spoken about how important the pre season period is in terms of implementing your style, you can’t implement anything with over a third of your starting team not being signed up. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

With a week and a half until the league kicks off after that game and needing around four starters that would be a huge disadvantage to starting the season well. Bullen has spoken about how important the pre season period is in terms of implementing your style, you can’t implement anything with over a third of your starting team not being signed up. 

Its likely to be more down to players and their agents holding off to see what else is out there rather than a deliberate act by the club not to sign anybody.

It'll happen when it happens. There's no point in trying to predict timescales for these things.

21 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Because our main striker last season was Dipo , would you have dropped him for McKenzie , against Stirling he played mostly through the middle  and last night he played a lot through the middle  

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You can guarantee that if we were close to signing anyone then they’ll be back asking for more money now that the Dipo sale has been announced. 

We absolutely need a striker and a winger in for the league starting and if McAllister isn’t fully fit then a right back as well. Anything else will be dependent on who leaves but I’d imagine we could get a further two in on loan towards the end of the window. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You can guarantee that if we were close to signing anyone then they’ll be back asking for more money now that the Dipo sale has been announced. 

We absolutely need a striker and a winger in for the league starting and if McAllister isn’t fully fit then a right back as well. Anything else will be dependent on who leaves but I’d imagine we could get a further two in on loan towards the end of the window. 

This is where I have a bit of an issue, nobody can tell me that our budget which we've committed so far is anywhere near last year's, when we take into account the players who have left against the players who have come in, I'm afraid it just doesn't balance at all.

It's a MINIMUM of 3 top end (for this level) starting players I'd say, but given our additional resources I'd be hoping for at least 4.

If we don't want to be moving backwards, then we need a Liam Smith type RB signing to be announced along with at least 1 proven striker but probably 2 and same goes for the winger along the lines of a McMullan / McCowan sort of name who had previously been rumoured before committing elsewhere.

I'm assuming the money is there and it's just a case of identifying and enticing the players to the club or at least I HOPE that's the case !!!

33 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Its likely to be more down to players and their agents holding off to see what else is out there rather than a deliberate act by the club not to sign anybody.

It'll happen when it happens. There's no point in trying to predict timescales for these things.

At what point did I say it would be a deliberate act? 

I said it wouldn’t be good enough, and it would impact our start to the season. We can’t start the season without any striker of note. 

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It would still be disappointing but I would accept having two in for the season starting, as long as one is a striker. I would want them in by the Alloa game at the absolute latest though. If they can’t manage that then…