The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

31 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

My friend is playing in the legends game. Last time he played in a legends game, he got injured a belter about 5 minutes in. Hopefully he gets through the game unscathed.

Hope he doesn't get injured this time 🤞😬

Last legends game I was at was at Martyn Campbells testimonial match. Gary Teale, Henderson, Craig Nelson and the likes ...... Couldn't for the life of me work out how Somerset Boab was playing 🤔

I had a wee watch of the Deano video on YouTube. Says Alex Williams, Aitken, Easton and Brian Reid will be involved. Might give it a bye as it will set off PTSD from shite times supporting Ayr...Killie game aside 

Oh and Somerset Boab has seemingly wrote a new song for Dean to be sang on the day 😬

Edited by Thereisalight..

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

McCall tended to stick him out wide which didn't help and basically what summed him up as "useless" for many of them was a game at Cappielow where he picked the ball up in the LB position and tried to beat a player at the edge of his own box, he was quickly dispossessed and it resulted in a goal for your good selves. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back for his doubters.

We ended up winning 5-1 that day - don’t honestly recall any great issues with the fans who were actually at the game towards Crawford.  I remember McCall commenting that it was about the first mistake Crawford had made during his time in charge, and he wasn’t wrong.  The bottom line is that he was deployed on the left of a 4 man midfield far too often by McCall where he always gave us a shift but never looked comfortable.  Played centrally, he came to life (such as the 5 nil game at Tannadice) and in that role is probably as good if not better than any of our current options.  

"Deano" blocked me on twitter years ago for calling him out on some sectarian tweets, one of those constant victim sellick fans who can't see their own hatred and bile because "they other yins are worse"

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

McCall tended to stick him out wide which didn't help and basically what summed him up as "useless" for many of them was a game at Cappielow where he picked the ball up in the LB position and tried to beat a player at the edge of his own box, he was quickly dispossessed and it resulted in a goal for your good selves. That was probably the straw that broke the camels back for his doubters.

That's because he went missing too often in the middle. A lot of comment of his latter years at Ayr but think he had seven years or so to make an impression. At one point centre mid was his to own if he could only have ousted Cairney and someone else i cant remember who was also inconsistent 

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

That's because he went missing too often in the middle. A lot of comment of his latter years at Ayr but think he had seven years or so to make an impression. At one point centre mid was his to own if he could only have ousted Cairney and someone else i cant remember who was also inconsistent 

Probably Jamie Adams or Ross Docherty that season.  Neither of whom could play wide midfield either, so often as not Crawford was shunted to that position.  Crawford was unlucky in that he broke into the team in Roberts time when he was surrounded by utter dross and too much was expected too soon.  Forrest had the same issue. But he eventually developed into a really decent player, though it feels like the McGinty effect in operation again with some fans not willing to admit they rushed to judgement on a player when he was only 18/19.

30 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

"Deano" blocked me on twitter years ago for calling him out on some sectarian tweets, one of those constant victim sellick fans who can't see their own hatred and bile because "they other yins are worse"

Wow, how thin skinned by Deano. The two clubs are ad bad as each other for sectarian bile. Scottish football  would be better off without them. Dont think there has been a non OF title win in my lifetime. Ship them down to England or the super league shit and be done with it

Didn't see much of him at Hibs, not sure how much he played.

I imagine he would still be a decent signing for this level?

ETA. Didn't realise he was 37, few years older than I thought.

Edited by AuAl

16 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Probably Jamie Adams or Ross Docherty that season.  Neither of whom could play wide midfield either, so often as not Crawford was shunted to that position.  Crawford was unlucky in that he broke into the team in Roberts time when he was surrounded by utter dross and too much was expected too soon.  Forrest had the same issue. But he eventually developed into a really decent player, though it feels like the McGinty effect in operation again with some fans not willing to admit they rushed to judgement on a player when he was only 18/19.

Strange opinion around Roberts considering his first season was about his best and he looked an outstanding prospect. Think it was Sheff Urd or Notts Forest he went for a trial with. It then took another four years to get back some decent form. Forrest was different in that he was very small in size and kept getting injuries. Once he grew a bit and toughened up everything was fine and didn't look back. Not sure why Crawford regressed so badly after year one and why it took so long for him to find consistency 

Wonder if hes looking at player coach / player assistant manager / player scout given

Still playing football but trying to identify the route I want to go after by finishing my MSc sports directorship with vsi. Dissertation pending

B licence from English Fa and currently on my A licence

Have my scouting licence from the English fa

Insport data analytics and recruitment qualifications

It'd be good to get him in. Saw him a few times last season (my mates a Hibee) and he's still got a touch of class about him. He could easily do a job for anybody outside of the top 6. His name still carries a wee bit of weight which could gives a bit of something in trying to convince others to come to Ayr.