The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think there's absolutely no chance that we will release Crawford and nor should we. If he chooses to stay he'll be one of our main players next season as he has been this season.

I know he gets a power of abuse and I know he can be extremely frustrating, however he was an integral part of the team when we were at our best early season and his control, touch, passing and ability to keep possession are huge at this level and often go completely unnoticed by many.

As for Miller, Cadden & McDaid, all three of them flatter to deceive as they promise much but ultimately offer very little as an end product on a consistent enough basis for me, however while all of them leaving wouldn't leave me distraught, I'd probably still take them if offered.

Geggan, Bell, Moffat & Moore should all be offered an extension if fit and able to continue and although I like Kerr, I feel that he may be nearing the end of the line from a fitness perspective.

Doohan should be our number one priority to return on a loan basis next season and then it's really up to McCall and our budget to see what "hidden gems" or "broken genius's" that he can pull out of the fire for us, as I'm sure there's quite a few just lurking around ripe for the Ayshire Aces picking............

Crawford has no goals this season and not many assists I can think of.  Being a bit generous imo  of your description of him. The most stand out part of his game for me this season has been his ability to nip in and win the ball. The attacking side of his game has been lacking this season, and while he's been a stand out in a few games this season he hasn't been able to replicate it on a consistent basis. Don't really need another  defensive midfielder,  he's been decent but I wouldn't consider him integral.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Crawford has no goals this season and not many assists I can think of.  Being a bit generous imo  of your description of him. The most stand out part of his game for me this season has been his ability to nip in and win the ball. The attacking side of his game has been lacking this season, and while he's been a stand out in a few games this season he hasn't been able to replicate it on a consistent basis. Don't really need another  defensive midfielder,  he's been decent but I wouldn't consider him integral.

It's all down to opinions of course, however I just feel that we're looking for a midfield general / playmaker which at our level and our budget is completely unattainable, given how many of these types are actually out there in the first place.

Crawford certainly frustrates, but at the same time we've played some of our best stuff with him in the team and often playing out of position wide. I also feel that we were guilty all season of overplaying to Shankland and as such our midfield didn't get as many shots off as they might have.

As I say, despite the abuse he gets he obviously is doing something right when we were playing so well early doors and the fact that McCall rates him so highly.

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

I'd imagine Crawford might be looking for a team that will play him in the middle of the park every week.

Probably also looking for a team where the supporters don't make him a scapegoat every week.

I think Crawford biggest problem is, no one knows what kind of midfielder he actually is. He’s not a goal scoring midfielder, rarely assists, doesn’t win many tackles and 50/50s and rarely takes on players. He had a great start to the league last year and was scoring more regularly, but just hasn’t had that run this year. 

18 minutes ago, Iain said:

I'd imagine Crawford might be looking for a team that will play him in the middle of the park every week.

He will be lucky to find another one that is willing to sacrifice their main central midfielder so he can get a game 

I think Crawford biggest problem is, no one knows what kind of midfielder he actually is. He’s not a goal scoring midfielder, rarely assists, doesn’t win many tackles and 50/50s and rarely takes on players. He had a great start to the league last year and was scoring more regularly, but just hasn’t had that run this year. 

This 100%

I’ve been watching Crawford for years and I’ve no idea what role he’s best suited to. He’s shown that he’s got skill to go by players but very rarely shows it. He’s also not got the stats to back up the claim he could be an attacking midfielder.

I think he’ll go not out of frustration with where McCall plays him but more for a change of scenery. He’s been at Ayr for just under 10 years so he might want something new. He’s still young enough that he can go on and be successful but I don’t see it being at Ayr.

30 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This 100%

I’ve been watching Crawford for years and I’ve no idea what role he’s best suited to. He’s shown that he’s got skill to go by players but very rarely shows it. He’s also not got the stats to back up the claim he could be an attacking midfielder.

I think he’ll go not out of frustration with where McCall plays him but more for a change of scenery. He’s been at Ayr for just under 10 years so he might want something new. He’s still young enough that he can go on and be successful but I don’t see it being at Ayr.

Reminds me a bit like Alan Trouten but with a bit more talent.

3 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Reminds me a bit like Alan Trouten but with a bit more talent.

Hmmm disagree. Trouten is one of the best lower league players of the last decade. He thrives in teams that are built to suit him (Alloa, Brechin, Albion, QP) but at Ayr, he wasn’t the big fish. Still managed 6 goals in 31 games. Crawford has 6 goals in his Ayr career.

Hmmm disagree. Trouten is one of the best lower league players of the last decade. He thrives in teams that are built to suit him (Alloa, Brechin, Albion, QP) but at Ayr, he wasn’t the big fish. Still managed 6 goals in 31 games. Crawford has 6 goals in his Ayr career.

He’s got 12. Still, it’s not that impressive when you consider 5 of them came last season. Z

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

To be fair a lot of them were penalties. But i do agree if you play Crawford as an advanced midfeilder you will get more out of him. Good on the ball and work rate, he just misses the end product imo.

Kind of like Forrest, who everybody used to say has to play as a 10 to get the best out of him,nobody knows what type of midfielder he is. Though with McCowan coming through and Moff he should probably settle on that left wing next season.

He’s got 12. Still, it’s not that impressive when you consider 5 of them came last season. Z
That's awful, and I always considered him an attacking midfielder for some reason. And last season he spent most of it playing on the wing.

That's awful, and I always considered him an attacking midfielder for some reason. And last season he spent most of it playing on the wing.

Yeah tbf he his injury problem last season so might’ve scored more but I think it’s safe to say he’s not an attacking player.

More box to box and can chip in with the odd goal if he gets in the right position. I’m absolutely convinced if he goes to Hamilton he’ll do well.

Kind of like Forrest, who everybody used to say has to play as a 10 to get the best out of him,nobody knows what type of midfielder he is. Though with McCowan coming through and Moff he should probably settle on that left wing next season.

Forrest is absolutely capable of playing well on the wing. He’s played there all his career apart from the season we had to use him as a lone striker.

33 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Trouten has 12 goals in 88 games for Ayr btw. You are only counting his first spell.