The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Goldson should have been off - it’s a prime example of refs encouraging players to roll about on the ground whenever they’re fouled.

And if the first Silva foul was a yellow the second has to be as well.

I swear he’s generally fine on the rare occasion he does our league games but Collum’s fucking mince in the big games. Can’t handle the pressure.

On first viewing I thought Goldson's was a yellow but having seen it again, it's definitely a red. Silva's second was worse than his booking so should definitely have been a second yellow.  Hilarious that Brown gets a booking for protesting it.

It's terrible that those decisions weren't made but I don't think we'd have beat them with 9 so idk I'm not as mad as I would be after a league game.  

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Feel free to detail it, without classifying a throw out as a mistake. 

It was miles better than Albinson last week, that is for certain. 

Sure, nothing can really be done at the first goal because it takes a deflection off Syla, you'd need scary reactions to get down for that.  

There's a shot from Cortez across the face that goes wide and he went for it with his feet instead of his hands and missed it instead of an easy gather, Tavenier is following it in and would have had a tap in if he could connect.  

When McGinty cleared on the line in the second half he was charging a out his box like a headless chicken.  

The second goal is really bad, he's far too far off his line hence why he gets chipped, a nonsense bit of goalkeeping.  

30 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Sure, nothing can really be done at the first goal because it takes a deflection off Syla, you'd need scary reactions to get down for that.  

There's a shot from Cortez across the face that goes wide and he went for it with his feet instead of his hands and missed it instead of an easy gather, Tavenier is following it in and would have had a tap in if he could connect.  

When McGinty cleared on the line in the second half he was charging a out his box like a headless chicken.  

The second goal is really bad, he's far too far off his line hence why he gets chipped, a nonsense bit of goalkeeping.  

I’ll get a look at it later when the highlights are out! 

I can’t even remember what happened at the second goal tbh - there was nothing obvious at the time but obviously at the other end of the ground you don’t get a proper idea. 

I would be happier if we managed to get a confident keeper in, but I imagine that would be pretty difficult. 

Edited by No_Problemo

40 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Aye, fair play - his positioning is pretty wild at the second goal and obviously helps Cantwell decide to play that style of cross. 

I’ll see the rest at some point I imagine! 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

It's terrible that those decisions weren't made but I don't think we'd have beat them with 9 so idk I'm not as mad as I would be after a league game.  

Yeah, I can remember one limp shot from Willoughby that was technically on target, and that was it, so not feeling particularly hard done by.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Yeah, I can remember one limp shot from Willoughby that was technically on target, and that was it, so not feeling particularly hard done by.

We had some moments, without actually creating anything - Dowds in the first half and Chalmers in the second where better decisions would have possibly lead to something. 

We probably had far more corners and set pieces than you would expect, but they defended everything fine. 

A better Dempsey connection from that corner routine would have been nice though..

31 minutes ago, ecocme said:

Hearts ripping Airdrie to shreds in this game. Hopefully we can do the same next Saturday

I'm sure Brown and Whittaker are taking notes. Hopefully Shankland and Forrest are doing well.

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s unusual for a new manager to lose two of his first three games and still instil an air of positivity and make you feel like everything will be okay but that’s what Brown has done. We’re playing with a far higher intensity than we ever did under Bullen and look stronger as a unit when defending. There’s issues that need to be looked at for next season but I have a lot more faith that we can stay up with the new coaching team. 

Tbh there has been a noticeable improvement with each game so it's ironic that the only one he has won is the first game against QP where overall we were pretty poor and fortunate to win the game

Only concern i have is where are the goals coming from as Dowds has completely dried up on the goal front..

49 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Tbh there has been a noticeable improvement with each game so it's ironic that the only one he has won is the first game against QP where overall we were pretty poor and fortunate to win the game

Only concern i have is where are the goals coming from as Dowds has completely dried up on the goal front..

Hopefully willoghby can chip in with a few. I thought bryden did ok when he came on 

As much as we look far better, I am still concerned given the weaknesses at full back and as others have said the lack of goals. 

We can look far more organised and play better football, but if your right back is constantly being roasted and you are struggling to score there isn’t much the management team can do. 

Dowds hasn’t scored in eight games, which means we are basically totally reliant on Murphy and Chalmers supplying the goals. As much as McKenzie has something to offer, we all know that he won’t be scoring many. We basically now have a front two of grafters, relatively similar in style that won’t contribute much goals wise. 

I think one quality signing that helped to address either of those things would ensure safety. 

ETA, if you include the cup it’s ten without a goal for Dowds!

Edited by No_Problemo

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As much as we look far better, I am still concerned given the weaknesses at full back and as others have said the lack of goals. 

We can look far more organised and play better football, but if your right back is constantly being roasted and you are struggling to score there isn’t much the management team can do. 

Dowds hasn’t scored in eight games, which means we are basically totally reliant on Murphy and Chalmers supplying the goals. As much as McKenzie has something to offer, we all know that he won’t be scoring many. We basically now have a front two of grafters, relatively similar in style that won’t contribute much goals wise. 

I think one quality signing that helped to address either of those things would ensure safety. 

ETA, if you include the cup it’s ten without a goal for Dowds!

Yeah, I'd be considering taking Dowds out for a game at some point if this persists.  Chance to come fresh off the bench and get a goal which can get him going again.  

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Yeah, I'd be considering taking Dowds out for a game at some point if this persists.  Chance to come fresh off the bench and get a goal which can get him going again.  

In an ideal world he would play the more McKenzie nuisance/physical/hold up style role (but with more of a goal threat) with a different style of striker in front. I think we have to hope Willoughby might do something. 

If you look back at his career, he is basically a one in four at best style striker - it just isn’t his game but I think lots of us were fooled into thinking it was after his start with us. 

At this level, Dowds has never really been the main striker. At Arbroath he was paired with Nouble and at Thistle he was generally playing off the bench to let Graham get a rest. 

I think he does need to play in a two to get the best though. If he and Willoughby show signs of a partnership in the remaining games then that could be something to build on for next season but I can’t see us starting next season with Dowds as our main striker. 

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

At this level, Dowds has never really been the main striker. At Arbroath he was paired with Nouble and at Thistle he was generally playing off the bench to let Graham get a rest. 

I think he does need to play in a two to get the best though. If he and Willoughby show signs of a partnership in the remaining games then that could be something to build on for next season but I can’t see us starting next season with Dowds as our main striker. 

At the moment I'd be surprised if Brown is signing him for next season.