The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

Good interviews, Dowds looks absolutely exhausted... Show's how hard he worked!

Really really pleased for him, I've been critical recently and I'd rather not be.  

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Really really pleased for him, I've been critical recently and I'd rather not be.  

I genuinely thought Brown would bench him yesterday, as he's shown with goalkeeper and other positions. I'm so happy for him and it's great to see the compliments Brown gives him to!

Really hope we’re working on getting Dowds signed on a pre contract. Even during his dry spell, he was working hard and getting in positions, linking up well. Plays his best football with a partner and him and McKenzie seem to be building an understanding. 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Felt a bit sorry for Tomlinson yesterday, Airdrie basically only went down his side, was good going forward but Musonda, Syla and Bryden weren't helping him out.  Funny thing with the goal is that happens to McCalister more than once every single game.  

I agree with Tomlinson. I also thought it was odd to play Bryden in front of him as I didn't think it would afford him much more protection.

I do think that's harsh on Musonda tbh. On multiple occasions he got drawn out to the right to sweep up the ball. Culminating in him playing at right back and being pretty solid defensively. I thought Colonel Sanders looked a bit ropey tbh. Hope he's just needing match sharpness.

3 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

I think it took him a wee while to get up to the speed of the game, but that tackle on the edge of the box was a match winner.

Aye thats probably fairer. In the air I thought he was fine but he looked a bit sluggish with ball to feet and when the attacker was running towards him.

It was a cracking tackle on the edge of the box at the end though.

7 hours ago, yorkshirepud said:

On current points per game, you're right but I'm an Ayr fan. We always take the worst case scenario, due to bitter past experience. See last season's play-off for details. It would be a relief if 10 points from our last 12 games were enough to see us safe considering how poor we have been for large parts of the season.

Change the team name and you’ve described 90% of Championship fitba fans. I don’t disagree, but the reality it this little push has survival pretty much done and dusted. No one in this league (excepting perhaps Arbroath or the Pars, if they can’t get healthy) is currently anywhere close to the absolute points scoring shitshow that Brechin was that fateful year, so 0.7-0.8 ppg is nearly an absolute minimum. That would leave you having staggered to 37-39 points, and while that’s possibly ninth place form, I can’t see it.

I think we’ll end up like Morton when they appointed Imrie in that we’ve become pretty competent and that will see us safe with a few games to spare but we’ll also be too far off the playoffs to challenge for them. 

If we can get to that point I’ll be relatively happy provided we get a head start on next season and can give more game time to the younger players. 

30 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we’ll end up like Morton when they appointed Imrie in that we’ve become pretty competent and that will see us safe with a few games to spare but we’ll also be too far off the playoffs to challenge for them. 

If we can get to that point I’ll be relatively happy provided we get a head start on next season and can give more game time to the younger players. 

Yes, I'd quite like to both be safe from relegation and not in the playoffs, the squad needs some work and the certainty of which league you'll be in allows for better planning and some bonus game time for young players as well.  

Pretty mental that Dowds scored a hat trick yet there is an argument that he wasn’t our MOTM, McGinty was fantastic and probably the best he’s performed since signing. Sanders also looked decent in his 45 minute cameo. Will be interesting to see what we do with the defence on Saturday given Stanger will be available. 

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but did anyone see the kick out from Airdrie number 26 yesterday inside our box. A definite sending off had the linesman and/or referee clocked it. 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Pretty mental that Dowds scored a hat trick yet there is an argument that he wasn’t our MOTM, McGinty was fantastic and probably the best he’s performed since signing. Sanders also looked decent in his 45 minute cameo. Will be interesting to see what we do with the defence on Saturday given Stanger will be available. 

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but did anyone see the kick out from Airdrie number 26 yesterday inside our box. A definite sending off had the linesman and/or referee clocked it. 

Aye, surprised I had forgotten about that. It was a clear kick, pretty poor stuff. If an official sees it, it's a straight red.

Heard that apparently we've been unsuccessful in getting a grant from the SFA for the build of the new community building down at the away end.

Unsure if true but if so wonder if that means it won't happen now

27 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Heard that apparently we've been unsuccessful in getting a grant from the SFA for the build of the new community building down at the away end.

Would be very surprised at that tbh.

As I understand it, the SFA is forever trumpeting the work of the club and the Academy as an example of what can be done. 

53 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Was that the proposed gym area?

Two hard games coming up the half empty side of me says I'd take two points from both games just now, but I'd love to see us pick up at least four. I think Somerset will be rocking for these two games and I have nice memories of both the home games against Raith in the league one winning season.