The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Bangala will go through his whole ‘career’ and never having as dedicated a fan as Richey. Don’t get too excited excited Richey, Raphael Schidt had fans. That said, don’t you go losing faith. I think Moffat signed for us when he was 25. Same age as “the ghost” is now.

🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

I personally think McGinty, Murphy, Chalmers and Dowds(who aren't ours) are there only players who'd really be classed at proper Championship level players in that squad.

I'm beginning to think along similar lines to this. We have too many players who aren't good enough.

A lot of them will do a Hewitt and Houston, drop down a level and still not get played.

Whether Glendinning stays or goes is irrelevant. If he stays then we need to hope Brown makes better use of the data collected and doesn’t focus in on players with good running numbers. 

I think we’ll see a healthier balance next season. You can afford to take a punt on one or two so long as you get three or four players who have some sort of track record. The issue this summer was we got Murphy and Chalmers with a good record then took a punt on everyone else.

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Keep the heid lads. Brown & Whittaker know what they are doing.

I'm confident we'll stay up and they are under no illusions on the size of overhaul this squad needs! 

Yeah 5th should be a realistic target for us, we can compete with the bottom half. Top 4 are a bit too much for us this season.

Luckily it looks like we won't have to be paying any players to bugger off for next season. Only Rose I think so maybe we can fleece Hamilton for some cash or he'll prove somewhat useful next season if he keeps banging in goals for them.

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Luckily it looks like we won't have to be paying any players to bugger off for next season. Only Rose I think so maybe we can fleece Hamilton for some cash or he'll prove somewhat useful next season if he keeps banging in goals for them.

He may well turn out to be a reasonable League One striker or a decent option off the bench for us but ideally we need better than him. He's not good enough to play regularly in the Championship.

The Partick Thistle home game earlier in the season had me thinking he was the worst finisher I'd ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

He may well turn out to be a reasonable League One striker or a decent option off the bench for us but ideally we need better than him. He's not good enough to play regularly in the Championship.

The Partick Thistle home game earlier in the season had me thinking he was the worst finisher I'd ever seen.

It was Arbroath away that did him in for me! So many gilt edge chances squandered.

It'll be a slog till the summer. This squad is so lacking in the necessary quality in so many areas. Just get enough points to stay up and then completely gut this squad. As others mentioned, there's probably only 4/5 I think are good enough for the level. 

I've been one of the bigger critics in the past of the club using the off the field developments as a distraction from awful performances on the park - but I think some folk are getting carried away here in relation the new stand stuff.

This is a pretty shite squad who have been performing a bit better of late. Today wasn't very good. The chairman isn't in control of week to week performances on the park, and the new stand is the big thing going on at the club right now, I don't blame them for promoting it.

31 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm beginning to think along similar lines to this. We have too many players who aren't good enough.

A lot of them will do a Hewitt and Houston, drop down a level and still not get played.

There's guys in the first team just now who'd be fine coming off the bench but could never be considered starters in the long term, McKenzie, Syla, Dempsey, Reading, McAllister for instance.

McKenzie has improved a bit under Brown right enough but still not starting 11 material.

Don't think the new coaches will have any doubts about the job ahead.

4 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

There's guys in the first team just now who'd be fine coming off the bench but could never be considered starters in the long term, McKenzie, Syla, Dempsey, Reading, McAllister for instance.

McKenzie has improved a bit under Brown right enough but still not starting 11 material.

Roy syla has been great since brown came in .

4 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

I think there’s two different brackets of players there. 

Dempsey and Syla shouldn’t be in the same one as McAllister and McKenzie. Based on this season, neither should Reading. 

Syla and Dempsey have literally been the two most consistent performers under the new management team. 

ETA: Reading has had a good season. Big improvement from last season. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

Reading the past few pages, we seem to have accepted we're going down? Now, I'm normally Mr f**k this and f**k that and the board are eejits.... but mon tae f**k! There's clearly a huge issue within aufc when it comes to recruitment and that needs addressing sharpish, we simply cannot go on they way we have since Mathie/Glen-did-ye-aye took the recruitment over, the past few transfer windows have been shocking... But we need to accept that we're not getting anyone in that's going to turn this season around or guarantee us anything.. every point is going to be hugely contested and right now we're sitting 5th... Did anyone see that a month ago...!? No, we thought we'd be bottom by now!

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Syla and Dempsey have literally been the two most consistent performers under the new management team. 

ETA: Reading has had a good season. Big improvement from last season. 

Yeah - I think there’s some over reaction to a defeat in terms of immediately writing off certain players. Dempsey seems to be the latest player that is very under appreciated. 

I only watched around thirty minutes of the first half today, and thought Syla was poor in that time but he has largely been good and given it’s his first full professional season it’s going to happen. 

I think both would benefit from us actually getting the attacking midfielder that we have needed all season. 

7 minutes ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

Reading the past few pages, we seem to have accepted we're going down? Now, I'm normally Mr f**k this and f**k that and the board are eejits.... but mon tae f**k! There's clearly a huge issue within aufc when it comes to recruitment and that needs addressing sharpish, we simply cannot go on they way we have since Mathie/Glen-did-ye-aye took the recruitment over, the past few transfer windows have been shocking... But we need to accept that we're not getting anyone in that's going to turn this season around or guarantee us anything.. every point is going to be hugely contested and right now we're sitting 5th... Did anyone see that a month ago...!? No, we thought we'd be bottom by now!

I don't for one second think we're going down. I have full confidence in Arbroath and at least one other team outshiting us.

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah - I think there’s some over reaction to a defeat in terms of immediately writing off certain players. Dempsey seems to be the latest player that is very under appreciated. 

I only watched around thirty minutes of the first half today, and thought Syla was poor in that time but he has largely been good and given it’s his first full professional season it’s going to happen. 

I think both would benefit from us actually getting the attacking midfielder that we have needed all season. 

Huge overreaction. We’re sitting 5th. Ourselves and everyone below us is in a fight for survival however I think that last minute goal against Arbroath by Caley will have knocked the stuffing out them. They’ll finish 10th.

We’re probably three wins and a couple of draws away from guaranteed safety. 

My biggest (and only gripe) with Syla today was his reluctance to drop deeper and take the ball from the centre backs. That has really helped in recent weeks, when building up attacks. There just felt like a real lack of intensity from the whole side though and that’s a first under Brown. Ultimately though, we’ve made progress under him but I think the best we can hope for with this squad is that we beat the likes of Airdrie, QP, Dunfermline etc. 

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think there’s two different brackets of players there. 

Dempsey and Syla shouldn’t be in the same one as McAllister and McKenzie. Based on this season, neither should Reading. 

Yeah, get what you're saying and I don't think Dempsey, Syla and Reading are particularly bad players, just not starting 11 material if you're looking to build a squad good enough for promotion.

There's definitely been improvement since Brown came in but I think our starters reflect where we are in there league. Maybe he can squeeze a bit more out of them though.

You've got to hope we can get some proper quality in in the summer to bolster things.

I like Albinson but he’s been chucking them in all season long.

I don’t know why anyone would be annoyed at him getting dropped. Unless you’re just looking for another reason to moan.

25 minutes ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

I don't know how you've read the last few pages and came to that conclusion.