The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Highlight for me today was Rus skinning the entire Hamilton team in the first half and some auld boy look like he was about to burst into tears and shouting “he’s absolutely f**king magnificent isn’t he”. 

Delighted we've got him. That's 2 goal of the season contenders already.

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You know it’s a good team when there’s three or four players you can be telling your pals to “watch out for”. 

Highlight for me today was Rus skinning the entire Hamilton team in the first half and some auld boy look like he was about to burst into tears and shouting “he’s absolutely f**king magnificent isn’t he”. 

We’ve had some good players, even when we were awful, but I’m not sure the last time we had a player that just has me smiling away thinking how the f**k has he managed that. 

9 minutes ago, NoAmarteyNoParty said:

If Frankie Musonda is the weak link in that team, that shows how much better the team is than in previous years. I actually thought he was ok today, though I would prefer him to drift into the centre of midfield more, rather than Henderson. Too often, Henderson was trying to thread through balls to Musonda when it might have worked better the other way around.

Still a very entertaining day out at the football. Absolutely miles ahead of the defensive-first approach we've seen in previous years. Love the wee moments of magic we seem to get every game now (mainly from Rus).

I thought the link up between Musonda and Henderson was fantastic at times again, obviously Musonda was poor a couple of times defensively. 

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We’ve had some good players, even when we were awful, but I’m not sure the last time we had a player that just has me smiling away thinking how the f**k has he managed that. 

I thought the link up between Musonda and Henderson was fantastic at times again, obviously Musonda was poor a couple of times defensively. 

Aye I keep waiting for something to happen with Rus. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like him in this league before. You get loads of players with real pace in this league but very rarely do they know what to do with it. He just glides past players and I’ve been waiting for him to stick one in the net at Somerset so I’m buzzing for him. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I keep waiting for something to happen with Rus. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like him in this league before. You get loads of players with real pace in this league but very rarely do they know what to do with it. He just glides past players and I’ve been waiting for him to stick one in the net at Somerset so I’m buzzing for him. 

I’m waiting on him beating half a team and scoring tbh…

He is so unselfish though, and always passes when the space opens right up. Even when he receives the ball, turns and drives forward a couple of yards he opens up so much space. I can’t remember a player like him that drives from the middle of the park like he does… Stevenson could do it but not to that extent. 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m waiting on him beating half a team and scoring tbh…

He is so unselfish though, and always passes when the space opens right up. Even when he receives the ball, turns and drives forward a couple of yards he opens up so much space. I can’t remember a player like him that drives from the middle of the park like he does… Stevenson could do it but not to that extent. 

Stevenson didn’t have the raw pace that Rus has but was bigger. In saying that Rus isn’t the biggest but goes for every header and holds his own. 

Hopefully we get to the play the Queens Park game at Hampden. Would love to see this team on a bigger pitch. 

In some respects a more pleasing win than the demolition of Airdrie. Started well fell out the game , went behind, stepped it up took back control. Scored twice to get back in front, held on a bit to get the win. Showed great character and the ability to adapt. Also showed a bit of strength in depth with good performances from the subs especially Dylan.

Not sure if it was mentioned but Jamie Hamilton was warming up again with us so I’m guessing we’re still trying to sign him or at least contemplating it. Can only assume he’s injured and we’re helping him recover to see if he’s worth a contract. 

Just now, AUcal said:

When was the last time we won the opening 3 games of a league season btw?

2017-2018.

Albion Rovers 5-1 (A)

Forfar Athletic 3-0 (H)

Stranraer 4-3 (A) 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

2017-2018.

Albion Rovers 5-1 (A)

Forfar Athletic 3-0 (H)

Stranraer 4-3 (A) 

And what a season it turned out to be.

That game down at Stranraer was a right good laugh.

1 minute ago, AUcal said:

And what a season it turned out to be.

That game down at Stranraer was a right good laugh.

All our games with Stranraer that season were absolutely mental. 

Paddy Boyle scoring a late winner was a big highlight of that whole season tbf. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

All our games with Stranraer that season were absolutely mental. 

Paddy Boyle scoring a late winner was a big highlight of that whole season tbf. 

That was the year Adams managed to get two Stranraer players sent off at Somerset in about 10 minutes - one of them Steven Bell - who we would then sign in January to partner Adams at the centre back for the rest of the season.

Edited by AUcal

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AUcal said:

That was the year Adams managed to get two Stranraer players sent off at Somerset in about 10 minutes - one of them Steven Bell - who we would then sign in January to partner Adams at the centre back for the rest of the season.

Still think you’d have to go back years to find a better January signing than Stevie Bell. He was a monster for the remainder of that season and helped get us over the line. Mark Kerr signed in the same window and whilst he was good, he didn’t hit his stride until we got back into the Championship I don’t think. 

I remember we played Stranraer just after New Years and humped them 5-1 and Bell spent the entire game chasing Adams trying to lay one on him. Think he signed a week later and the pair were best pals. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Still think you’d have to go back years to find a better January signing than Stevie Bell. He was a monster for the remainder of that season and helped get us over the line. Mark Kerr signed in the same window and whilst he was good, he didn’t hit his stride until we got back into the Championship I don’t think. 

I remember we played Stranraer just after New Years and humped them 5-1 and Bell spent the entire game chasing Adams trying to lay one on him. Think he signed a week later and the pair were best pals. 

Aye as good as we were in an attacking sense that season, I don't think we would have got promotion over the line had we not signed Bell.

I'm not one to get overly dramatic about these kind of things, but a real "sliding door" moment, imo.

As fun as it was to watch that team  I've been really loving this current lot - and it's still very early days. Long may it continue.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

You know it’s a good team when there’s three or four players you can be telling your pals to “watch out for”. 

Aye, exactly. The year we went close we relied heavily on Dipo and no surprise when his head was turned Jan/Feb time we started to fall away. Seems like this time everyone is chipping in. Missed that with the old boy but I am in agreement, he’s another one I hope goes for good money. We’ve not been fairly subsidised in too long (Shankland, Forrest, McCowan etc)