The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just realised I'm meant to be at Hospitality at Firhill on Friday 31st January.  Will need to keep an eye out for how many of our players are hanging around McCall waiting to sign when he does the meet the fans thing after the game haha.  

The way some folk are going on you would think Ross Docherty is having to go to food banks to make ends meet as Ayr aren't paying him enough. [emoji54]
I think some folk are dismissing a (for arguments sake) 15% pay rise over a longer guaranteed period way too lightly.

If you're not in secure employment, these things take on increased significance.

I just think folk lack perspective. Yes he's very fortunate to be paid a decent wage for playing football but it's his job. It's easy to say you'd turn it down because it's your team but he's not an Ayr fan. He's a professional footballer.

2 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

McCall: “Hi Ross, would you like to come and play in front of bigger crowds, at better facilities, close to your home, reuniting with your old management team, on a 2 year contract and with significantly higher wages?

Docherty: “League 1 Thistle thread for that pish Ian”

McCall saying that Kerr knew from the beginning about Docherty being made an offer so he would’ve have ample time to put a deal in front of him of his own. Can only assume we weren’t willing to match Thistle’s offer in that case.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall saying that Kerr knew from the beginning about Docherty being made an offer so he would’ve have ample time to put a deal in front of him of his own. Can only assume we weren’t willing to match Thistle’s offer in that case.

Surely you're not buying that?

McCall is a man who trades in half truths. The guy is a chancer of the highest order.

Edited by Trogdor

Surely you're not buying that?
McCall is a man who trades in half truths. The guy is a chancer of the highest order.

He could easily be called out by either Allan Johnston or Mark Kerr since it’s been printed so I don’t see why he would lie.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He could easily be called out by either Allan Johnston or Mark Kerr since it’s been printed so I don’t see why he would lie.

Just like when he said Shankland was close to signing for Rangers and Shankland said he wasn't? Or we had multiple offers for Shankland in January and Lachlan said we hadn't. 

McCall isn't averse to telling porkies, I fully expect this is another one. Did anyone ask if he leaked it to the press? Would be interested in how he'd wriggle off the hook on that one.

Edited by Trogdor

Just like when he said Shankland was close to signing for Rangers and Shankland said he wasn't? Or we had multiple offers for Shankland in January and Lachlan said we hadn't. 

McCall isn't averse to telling porkies, I fully expect this is another one. Did anyone ask if he leaked it to the press? Would be interested in how he'd wriggle off the hook on that one.

Maybe you’re right.

The only other case I can think of is when we signed Paddy Boyle, Gary Bollan knew a week or so before we spoke to him about signing. McCall may or may not have leaked it to the press but I think Kerr would’ve known that Doc was being offered a deal and will have tried to convince him to stay.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Maybe you’re right.

The only other case I can think of is when we signed Paddy Boyle, Gary Bollan knew a week or so before we spoke to him about signing. He may or may not have leaked it to the press but I think Kerr would’ve known that Doc was being offered a deal and will have tried to convince him to stay.

I could be wrong but the guy is a chancer, at Ayr he was our chancer but now he is Thistle's chancer. 

The leaking it to the press and timing of the announcement is what really grinds my gears. It only benefits Thistle with it being announced.

For us, it's a bit embarrassing when your club captain ditches you half way through the season. The ripple effect in the dressing room worries me.

It's a big 5 weeks for Kerr between now and the end of January.

Edited by Trogdor

I could be wrong but the guy is a chancer, at Ayr he was our chancer but now he is Thistle's chancer. 
The leaking it to the press and timing of the announcement is what really grinds my gears. It only benefits Thistle with it being announced.
For us, it's a bit embarrassing when your club captain ditches you half way through the season. The ripple effect in the dressing room worries me.
But we're making this a bigger thing than it actually is.

I'm not saying McCall is an angel but he strikes me as someone who generally has good relations with the folk he's worked with. We're all becoming a bit inspector clueso on here and I'm sure the truth will be somewhat more boring.

I'm not saying McCall is an angel but he strikes me as someone who generally has good relations with the folk he's worked with. We're all becoming a bit inspector clueso on here and I'm sure the truth will be somewhat more boring.

Aye he’s not the antichrist.

He’s maybe underhanded at times and the way in which he left the club and behaved at times in his last few months still irks me and he’s a bit of a weirdo wearing Ayr tracksuits but apart from that he’s fine. If Kerr can bring some of the stuff he learnt from him to the job I’ll be happy.

6 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I always thought there was an unwritten rule in football where managers mainly  comment on their own club and only say positive things about others. Unless of course they are responding to negative comments already been said.. It seems here McCall is stirring the shit and getting back to your comment I’m surprised he is so popular with other managers. The other times I remember him doing this were when he didn’t really like the other manager. Maybe he’s  got so hacked off at players being nicked from him in the recent past that hes on a mission. Still thought he might show a touch more decency towards Ayr 

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Even if Kerr knew about the approach, it doesn’t justify McCalk leaking it to the Press.

Worth remembering as well that when McCall left, it wasn’t announced by either club - first confirmation came from a leak to guess who, the “Voice of Reason”.

37 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Even if Kerr knew about the approach, it doesn’t justify McCalk leaking it to the Press.

Worth remembering as well that when McCall left, it wasn’t announced by either club - first confirmation came from a leak to guess who, the “Voice of Reason”.

To be fair when VoR tweeted that it was pretty common knowledge by that point that he was away, it just hadn't been officially announced. Seem to remember someone on here and other on the SRE (the more sensible posters) the day before saying it was a done deal. 

13 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

McCall: “Hi Ross, would you like to come and play in front of bigger crowds, at better facilities, close to your home, reuniting with your old management team, on a 2 year contract and with significantly higher wages?

What should have been said,

Docherty: “Naw, bolt ya traiterous turncoat jakey bam, I'm wae the gid guys here playin in gods country (the Ayrshire Riviera) and the promise land which is Somerset park, why wid a want tae swap it awe for a few extra quid to end up playing wae a bunch a rockets which'll have us awe doon wae Fawkirk in league bloody wan ??"

Think everyone is having a bit too much knicker wetting here at McCall coming and taking Forrest and Harvie. There's more than just one club that'll be interested in them which I think most are forgetting about. Won't just be a choice of Ayr or Partick.