What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

5 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I thought Emily Thornberry's comments on Johnson, should allow her leadership bid to be taken seriously. She genuinely does not like the guy, and certainly wouldn't give him any peace.

"Plays at politics, he plays with people's lives"

Sums the c**t up perfectly.

I was at the hustings today in Liverpool and I need to say she was brilliant with her answers to questions and detail on policy if elected as leader.

It’s certainly gave me food for thought that she would be a decent leader.

Jess Phillips however just didn’t seem to bothered by it all. Her answer to most questions was “I can’t do much when Boris has an 80 majority”. Which i guess is correct but you don’t say it to a room full of a Labour members who might vote for you. 

32 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

I was at the hustings today in Liverpool and I need to say she was brilliant with her answers to questions and detail on policy if elected as leader.

It’s certainly gave me food for thought that she would be a decent leader.

Jess Phillips however just didn’t seem to bothered by it all. Her answer to most questions was “I can’t do much when Boris has an 80 majority”. Which i guess is correct but you don’t say it to a room full of a Labour members who might vote for you. 

For all those who say the next Labour leader should be a woman, Thornberry for me would be the obvious choice of all the female candidates.

She would certainly liven up PMQ's after all these years of Corbyn trying hard not to offend anyone.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

It's OK till it goes on about Blue Labour, though I'm maybe being whooshed.

What a long winded boring article.

Most of us on here could explain why Labour are falling apart at the seams in about 2 or 3 sentences.

The b*****d son of Thatcher and Blair driving home his red tory tag.

Ian Murray MP: "People who vote Tory are not our enemies, they’re our potential voters"

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/house/house-magazine/109190/ian-murray-mp-people-who-vote?fbclid=IwAR2tBcNjyhg_-BYhr0wAaMoJtc_hF_a3lhQD3K1bvZ93toWoVc05rqj9V1o

45 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Ian Murray MP: "People who vote Tory are not our enemies, they’re our potential voters"

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/house/house-magazine/109190/ian-murray-mp-people-who-vote?fbclid=IwAR2tBcNjyhg_-BYhr0wAaMoJtc_hF_a3lhQD3K1bvZ93toWoVc05rqj9V1o

A substantial number of people who voted Conservative (at least in England) are working class people who previously voted Labour but were alienated by Corbyn.

If you are "for the many" then you have got to develop policies that are relevant to them and argue for them passionately instead of talking down to them, sure there are some people you will never convince but as Mrs. Obama said "when they go low, we go high" and that's the only answer and I say this as someone who hasn't voted Labour since the mid 90's when I switched to the SNP.

11 minutes ago, btb said:

A substantial number of people who voted Conservative (at least in England) are working class people who previously voted Labour but were alienated by Corbyn.

If you are "for the many" then you have got to develop policies that are relevant to them and argue for them passionately instead of talking down to them, sure there are some people you will never convince but as Mrs. Obama said "when they go low, we go high" and that's the only answer and I say this as someone who hasn't voted Labour since the mid 90's when I switched to the SNP.

I would dispute that.

They voted Tory purely and simply because they wanted to see Brexit delivered. The majority of them were not thinking beyond that.

If Labour keep losing elections they need a solution.  One is to pretend there are enough new voters and people who don't normally vote that can be added on to win the next election.  That approach was tried twice and failed twice.

The other approach is to win votes from people who voted for somebody else at the previous election.  For an ideological purist that might be uncomfortable but in reality it is the only way to win.

Apart from a few people over Edinburgh direction, does anyone even listen to this tool

24 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

If Labour keep losing elections they need a solution.  One is to pretend there are enough new voters and people who don't normally vote that can be added on to win the next election.  That approach was tried twice and failed twice.

The other approach is to win votes from people who voted for somebody else at the previous election.  For an ideological purist that might be uncomfortable but in reality it is the only way to win.

Not sure about that. For a certain type of person perpetually whingeing while powerless is the more comfortable place to be. Easier to rage aggressively on the  internet than to have to actually make hard decisions in power.

9 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Not sure about that. For a certain type of person perpetually whingeing while powerless is the more comfortable place to be. Easier to rage aggressively on the  internet than to have to actually make hard decisions in power.

Yes.  I have met those sort of people.  If by some fluke Jeremy Corbyn had won the election they would have ditched him by now.

43 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/21/speculation-mounts-that-jess-phillips-will-quit-labour-leadership-race

Jess Phillips set to quit Labour leadership race

The curse of Blair McDougall strikes again.

If she quits she will still get as much coverage from the MSM as the candidates and she will quite happily accommodate them by spouting self serving vacuous shite.

She discovered that when she actually had to give an idea of her policy aims, of which she had none, she came across as unconfident, poorly briefed and superficial. She has nipped it in the bud now to try to salvage her "tells it like it is, no nonsense, doesn't suffer fools" image among centrist journalists.

She has plenty of ideas ranging from “Jess Phillips” to “Jess Phillips”.