What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Momentum has controlled the Labour Party for the last few years yet sadly they have learned very little.

Both strategically and tactically they are lacking in competence and they have failed to consider their options in the event of Corbyn failing, which he has spectacularly.

The fact that they think Rebecca Long Bailey is the person to lead Labour into the next election is a damning indictment of their political amateurism and naivety.

Momentum has controlled the Labour Party for the last few years yet sadly they have learned very little.

Both strategically and tactically they are lacking in competence and they have failed to consider their options in the event of Corbyn failing, which he has spectacularly.

The fact that they think Rebecca Long Bailey is the person to lead Labour into the next election is a damning indictment of their political amateurism and naivety.

This.

Just glad I'm not a member of the Labour Party (and haven't been in 25+ years).

Nandy seems to me the logical candidate but when has logic come in to play in the Labour Party in recent years?

20 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This.

Just glad I'm not a member if the Labour Party (and haven't been in 25+ years).

Nandy seems to me the logical candidate but when has logic come in to play in the Labour Party in recent years?

Nandy strikes me as someone who would move to the right very quickly.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thinking about joining the labour party and voting for the worst candidate just because I enjoy watching them rot. My parents get to vote through unions so i’ll use their votes too.

That's a bit harsh. They're the only party I can vote for here in Englandshire.

Happy enough to watch them rot in Scotland.

17 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thinking about joining the labour party and voting for the worst candidate just because I enjoy watching them rot. My parents get to vote through unions so i’ll use their votes too.

So you would rather there was no opposition to the Tories in England and Wales?

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Nandy strikes me as someone who would move to the right very quickly.

Again, Labour are back to that point....do they want to be a party of permanent protest, or do they want to have power ? 

If it's the latter....if Labour really want to form a government....then they'll have to move to the right. Quickly. 

43 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Again, Labour are back to that point....do they want to be a party of permanent protest, or do they want to have power ? 

If it's the latter....if Labour really want to form a government....then they'll have to move to the right. Quickly. 

Then there is an option of Tory and Tory Lite.  Not an attractive proposition imo.

10 hours ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

There’s really nothing Labour can do at the moment, especially looking at that list of candidates. The best they can hope for in the medium-term is Brexit to fail or Boris to f**k something up incredibly.

What Labour has to do is be a credible alternative government with a leader you could imagine as prime minister.

One of the problems with Corbyn is that many people saw him as happy to be Leader of the Opposition and not really wanting some other role.

Boris Johnson is unpopular.  His big advantage at the election was that Corbyn was even more unpopular and Swinson wasn't taken seriously by anyone.

6 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Jess Phillips in Glasgow today to tell us that Labour are listening and no indy ref emoji23.png

Meaningless. Labour know they've lost Scotland to the SNP for the foreseeable future no matter what they say publicly about IndyRef2 and they'll be in power with SNP propping them up if they ever get back into Westminster. They need to give all this yoonie chat to appease voters down South but they know fine well they'll be getting telt if it comes to it

Absolutely bang on sadly. It's the only chance they have down south, which won't cut it in Scotland.
Then there is an option of Tory and Tory Lite.  Not an attractive proposition imo.
I agree but the problem for Labour is that the only way for them to get into power is to follow the English and Welsh electorates away from the left into the centre ground.

I fear that "UK politics" will become much like Irish politics with the choice of two right or centre right parties in order to appease the electorate down there.

A terrible thought

16 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That's what a load of Tories claim they did to get Corbyn in.

What Labour has to do is be a credible alternative government with a leader you could imagine as prime minister.
One of the problems with Corbyn is that many people saw him as happy to be Leader of the Opposition and not really wanting some other role.
Boris Johnson is unpopular.  His big advantage at the election was that Corbyn was even more unpopular and Swinson wasn't taken seriously by anyone.

That wasn’t the only problem though, and none of these 5 candidates are going to more popular than Boris lets be honest. Labour aren’t going to gain power anytime soon, but the Tories might lose it.

Nandy would be choice, FWIW.