What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

The sensible thing to do is let it float from 1:1 with GBP. Trying to defend a currency is what fucked the UK in the 70s and the early 90s.

If it devalues it means that is either an accurate reflection of your economy or you gain the benefit of an undervalued currency for a while. 

This obviously only works if you convert all private debt to the new currency.

You've got a lot of faith in capitalism. How do you price exports and imports before production with the value at the whim of speculators?

What is the point of Labour is this thread's title and with one Scottish Labour MP and the party Ruled from London you really have to ask what the feck is the point as far as Scotland is concerned.

With that in mind why should we as Scots give a toss over who runs a political party in another country, as long as the tories have an overall majority for the next five years Labour cannot do anything for Scotland. 

Labour is a spent force in Scotland and as long as Scottish Labour is governed from another country it will continue to stay that way.

What is the point of Labour is this thread's title and with one Scottish Labour MP and the party Ruled from London you really have to ask what the feck is the point as far as Scotland is concerned.
With that in mind why should we as Scots give a toss over who runs a political party in another country, as long as the tories have an overall majority for the next five years Labour cannot do anything for Scotland. 
Labour is a spent force in Scotland and as long as Scottish Labour is governed from another country it will continue to stay that way.
Labour were in power in Glasgow for 50 plus years and it's still one of the most deprived parts of UK... So never mind next 5yrs, what did labour ever do for Scotland

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
12 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Labour were in power in Glasgow for 50 plus years and it's still one of the most deprived parts of UK... So never mind next 5yrs, what did labour ever do for Scotland

Free healthcare, free education and the parliamentary that the nats opposed.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

The SNP supported both the creation of a Scottish Assembly (in a vote sabotaged from the off by a Scottish Labour MP) as well as the Scottish Parliament. It was also in fact the SNP that has provided free education in Scotland by scrapping the fees for higher education maintained by, erm, Scottish Labour until 2007.

Swing and a miss then. 

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SNP supported both the creation of a Scottish Assembly (in a vote sabotaged from the off by a Scottish Labour MP) as well as the Scottish Parliament. It was also in fact the SNP that has provided free education in Scotland by scrapping the fees for higher education maintained by, erm, Scottish Labour until 2007.

Swing and a miss then. 

Yeah! Yeah!

I hope Labour make a return and soon.  Have no desire to slavishly vote SNP until independence is achieved.  Yes support could end up sitting on 45 to 55% of the vote for another decade meaning the SNP are never out of power but never closer to achieving anything tangible on the big question.

A Labour party who respect the claim of right would probably get my vote in a Scottish Parliament election.  They need competition.

I've not seen great strides in Glasgow under the SNP for example.  The councillors are more interested in tweeting their tea than sorting out basics.

5 minutes ago, tirso said:

I hope Labour make a return and soon.  Have no desire to slavishly vote SNP until independence is achieved.  Yes support could end up sitting on 45 to 55% of the vote for another decade meaning the SNP are never out of power but never closer to achieving anything tangible on the big question.

A Labour party who respect the claim of right would probably get my vote in a Scottish Parliament election.  They need competition.

I've not seen great strides in Glasgow under the SNP for example.  The councillors are more interested in tweeting their tea than sorting out basics.

Labour's chances of making a return recede with every passing election.  And they won't be helped by gobshites like Jess Phillips disparagingly referring to Scotland as 'up there' only the other day.  The UK Party's contempt for the Scottish electorate is doubly bizarre as Labour would need Scottish seats to have any chance of forming a future UK Government.  

I do agree though that the SNP needs competition but paradoxically this could well have the effect of driving up independence support as policy and ideology battle lines become clearly drawn.  Scottish Labour's best bet is to become a political force within a constitutional future Scottish state and to hell with Westminster and the right-wing English electorate.

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Well, you've returned to your default.
Disappointing

I made it clear that I voted SNP to get away from a Tory government. As I feel that they will be in power for many years I will vote for independence in any future referendum. But as soon as there is an independent Scotland I would support a Labour type party that will inevitably arise. I believe the SNP will realign themselves from being purely an independence party and break offs of left and right will happen. 

10 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

I made it clear that I voted SNP to get away from a Tory government. As I feel that they will be in power for many years I will vote for independence in any future referendum. But as soon as there is an independent Scotland I would support a Labour type party that will inevitably arise. I believe the SNP will realign themselves from being purely an independence party and break offs of left and right will happen. 

That's what most people who support Independence that I have spoken to believe. You're not alone.

5 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Free Healthcare - free to all but many of us pay National Insurance which contributes to pensions, healthcare and other state benefits. 

The NHS as introduced by Bevin in 1948 under Labour has been a great contribution to the nations welfare, no doubt.

Free education in an elementary form was first introduced in 1880 well before Labour was formed.

The SNP never opposed  Self Government in any form having campaigned over the years for Home Rule.

Consider the other nationalised Industries that Labour introduced which have disappeared such as British Rail, The Coal Board etc, the 15 year New Labour Government of Blair didn't do anything to re-introduce them. 

In 1950 Labour had 37 Scottish MP's now there is 1 and it will remain that way until they separate from Westminster and establish themselves as truly a Scottish Party where the people can identify with them.

When you have a Labour leader such as Corbyn who has campaigned in protests mainly in the London area then you have a leader who is remote, insular and completely oblivious to Scottish affairs and the welfare of the Scottish people.