What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I heard on the radio yesterday that Starmer would be happy to lend them to Greece indefinitely, without conceding ownership and thus not setting a precedent for all the other looted plunder. Also that the decision is in the hands of the museum, not the government, the British Museum chair being George Osborne who wants to return them. If this is all true it sounds like Sunak is preparing for a backlash when they're put on a ship to Athens in the near future. 

I think the museum would be allowed to loan them out, but not return them permanently, unless an act of Parliament is changed.

Something like that anyway.

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think the museum would be allowed to loan them out, but not return them permanently, unless an act of Parliament is changed.

Something like that anyway.

That's why it would be called a loan instead of handing them back. Presumably the museum could extend the loan ad infinitum.

7 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Apart from the fact they should definitely be returned, to allow something like that to affect meetings between country leaders is absolutely farcical, tbh it’s actually just a sad reflection on how pitiful the UK actually is. Is Sunak now our foremost statue defender? 

It's ok. I heard on the radio earlier today that apparently the Greeks have made a  magnanimous gesture of goodwill to Britain in the shape of a beautiful gift. An enormous wooden horse has been delivered to Downing Street.

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That's why it would be called a loan instead of handing them back. Presumably the museum could extend the loan ad infinitum.

Which is a far better stance than the Tories even though ultimately I think we should just give them back anyways.

19 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Everybody is really careful about this as it's a test case: obviously they should go back, but if they do, every museum in every country could be emptied of stuff from abroad.

Yes.

The Greeks weren't even in charge of Greece when the friezes were rescued from dilapidation. Give em back and they'll have lost them to the Turks in 50 years. In fact give them to the Turks just to f**k the Greeks off 🙂

Edited by orfc

15 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

The National Galleries in Embra and London share that Three Graces sculpture six-months-about. Why not swap the Marbles in a similar way, a year in Athens, then a year in Elgin?

Think Elgin was actually a Dunfermline boy, so they should be shared between Athens and the Carnegie in the Auld Grey Toun tbf

Listened to PM question the other day, first time in a long time.  Reason being some folk were saying it's Keirs best every PMQ's

f**k me, apart from the zoo noises from the bench, how embarrassing that a Labour leader, all his questions were on migration.  If you didn't know better it sounded like the Tories were in opposition.  If that was his best, you all have no hope.

Your country is turning into a shithole, sorry to say that as I have loved ones amongst you. 

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Listened to PM question the other day, first time in a long time.  Reason being some folk were saying it's Keirs best every PMQ's

f**k me, apart from the zoo noises from the bench, how embarrassing that a Labour leader, all his questions were on migration.  If you didn't know better it sounded like the Tories were in opposition.  If that was his best, you all have no hope.

Your country is turning into a shithole, sorry to say that as I have loved ones amongst you. 

I noticed that too.  I've always classed migration, or at least a raging hard on for migration, as a right wing policy. So it stands to reason it comes from a right wing Labour Party.