Queens v Ayr

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I agree, I don’t particularly think you are any better than us “on paper” but probably relatively even.

Yeah maybe. You certainly have a stronger squad with more depth than us. I'd have taken our first eleven over yours no question before a ball was kicked. But I haven't seen most of them for two years, haven't seen Doohan at all, and Shankland since he was replaced by his free scoring identical twin without anyone noticing. You're clearly in terrific form with everyone's confidence flying. You'll rightly be favourites on Saturday as a result. I suppose it depends how one interprets the "on paper" phrase.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is reminding me of a game a few years ago. When a certain Leigh Griffiths was banging in goals for Livi, who were flying. They came down here expecting to turn us over and had their arses handed to them in a 5-1 drubbing with Dobbie on fire.* Needless to say I would love a similar outcome on Saturday. If we play like Saturday there then Ayr will have to be on the top of their game but it'll be a very Queens thing to do if we follow our best performance in years with our worst.

* Sure Griffiths was benched that game but I doubt he'd have done anything to change the outcome that day.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah maybe. You certainly have a stronger squad with more depth than us. I'd have taken our first eleven over yours no question before a ball was kicked. But I haven't seen most of them for two years, haven't seen Doohan at all, and Shankland since he was replaced by his free scoring identical twin without anyone noticing. You're clearly in terrific form with everyone's confidence flying. You'll rightly be favourites on Saturday as a result. I suppose it depends how one interprets the "on paper" phrase.

plastic park too is it not? Bookies still have Queens fav's.

16 minutes ago, Honestmen said:

plastic park too is it not? Bookies still have Queens fav's.

Do they? Genuinely surprised at that. I know it's early, but you're top and unbeaten in all competitions (if we don't count losing on penalties in the Irn Bru Cup). Our home record over the last year isn't very good to see the least. If our home record was as good as our away record we'd have been in the playoffs last season.

I'd have Ayr narrow favourites for the game trying to look at it from a neutral perspective.

Until the first nine games are done and dusted I'm reigning in my expectations. I think we should be good enough to go there and win, but with two strikers on fire anything could happen. Suspect whoever scores first won't lose and looking forward to a real get-go from the off. 

Heart says otherwise but head says I would take a  score draw right now TBH. 

Our record down there in recent years is abysmal although I do remember a Challenge Cup win there. Let's see how our squad looks after the window shuts on Friday before making outlandish predictions ⚽ Apparently the club are expecting Hearts to come back in for Sir Lawrence so its going to be a tense few days.

1 minute ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Our record down there in recent years is abysmal although I do remember a Challenge Cup win there. Let's see how our squad looks after the window shuts on Friday before making outlandish predictions ⚽ Apparently the club are expecting Hearts to come back in for Sir Lawrence so its going to be a tense few days.

Perhaps Lachlan told Levein what the asking price was.

We (Ayr fans) have been down this road too many times.

We have had a number of false dawns and have the scars to prove it.

Don't see anyone getting carried away this season, we are very much small fish in a big pond.

We are just enjoying each game that comes along, properly enjoying it - not something that happens too often for most supporters out there.

The only thing I will say is, as I said pre-season, we might give a few teams a surprise this season.

The longer teams expect to beat us, the better in my opinion.

Little plucky Ayr

a014ab21544b425a839e135fbc89c344.jpeg

If everyone is fit,  start the same line-up as last Saturday,  not that we have much alternative,  playing positively and with the same level of commitment to attack.  It won't be an easy game and if we do lose let's at least make Ayr work hard for it. 

GN must have the easiest/hardest job in the league. Only 11 fit senior players to choose from, he knows which 11 players will start each week, albeit he has to decide in what position with what formation.

on the other hand he only has 11 fit senior players. if we are 1-0 down after 75 minutes who do you bring on to change the game? Fingers crossed we have another couple signings over the line by Saturday. He said he wants a CB and potentially a striker. Here’s hoping

We've played Thistle (twice), Morton, Dunfermline, Dundee and Inverness so far and have not been outplayed by any of them,  as such I think we should be going down to Palmerston full of confidence, not just because of our results but because of the manner in which we've easily despatched everyone who we've come up against.

Nothing to fear all you good honest men and bonnie lassies.

21 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

We (Ayr fans) have been down this road too many times.

We have had a number of false dawns and have the scars to prove it.

Don't see anyone getting carried away this season, we are very much small fish in a big pond.

We are just enjoying each game that comes along, properly enjoying it - not something that happens too often for most supporters out there.

The only thing I will say is, as I said pre-season, we might give a few teams a surprise this season.

The longer teams expect to beat us, the better in my opinion.

Little plucky Ayr

a014ab21544b425a839e135fbc89c344.jpeg

Get the wee team mentality in the sea. We are not “a small fish in a big pond”. It’s the Scottish Championship ffs. We are a bigger club than at least 4 or 5 teams in this division. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Get the wee team mentality in the sea. We are not “a small fish in a big pond”. It’s the Scottish Championship ffs. We are a bigger club than at least 4 or 5 teams in this division. 

You are? Ok then.

Alloa for sure. Us presumably.  Fascinated to know which other 2 or 3 clubs you are "bigger" than? Certainly not Dundee United, Falkirk, Partick Thistle or Dunfermline. The two Highland clubs have no great history of course but they are both Premier sides much more recently than you. And I'd have Morton above you too.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You are? Ok then.

Alloa for sure. Us presumably.  Fascinated to know which other 2 or 3 clubs you are "bigger" than? Certainly not Dundee United, Falkirk, Partick Thistle or Dunfermline. The two Highland clubs have no great history of course but they are both Premier sides much more recently than you. And I'd have Morton above you too.

We are a bigger club than both the Highland teams. Fair enough they have had more success in recent years but we are still a bigger club.

I’d also put us on a par with Morton. 

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We are a bigger club than both the Highland teams. Fair enough they have had more success in recent years but we are still a bigger club.

You should be fine on Saturday as it`s common knowledge on P&B that Dobbie only scores against the wee teams. 

geezo  that's on a par with all the  "we're below our natural level" pish that some ayr fans loved to spout when in league 1.  despite the fact we've been in the seaside league for the vast majority of the past 15 years

Archived