Queens v Ayr

I suppose someone needs to take over the role of “ludicrously deluded fans in the Championship forum”.

Dundee are long gone, but the memories and smell of Brasso will live on forever.

The Famous learned their lesson after the “Good feeling at Cappielow” turned out to not be that good.

Even Falkirk fans seemed to have accepted their fall from grace.

It’s very intuitive of the Ayr fans to notice a gap in the market.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My conception of who is a big club is based solely on the first time I played Championship Manager, back in 2001/02. On that basis, Ayr United are a massive club.

Queens are pretty small, but I'm looking forward to selling Andy Aitken for £180k and getting in a few Swedish players before the transfer window gets invented.

47 minutes ago, Flash said:

Quite right. Time for “A great feeling at Somerset” thread.

:lol: Have to admit that thread was going through my mind earlier when he was posting. Hope we get the same outcome as when the "Great Feeling at Cappielow" rolled into Palmerston.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

:lol: Have to admit that thread was going through my mind earlier when he was posting. Hope we get the same outcome as when the "Great Feeling at Cappielow" rolled into Palmerston.

Yes, that was a lot of fun.   In addition to the "Great Feeling" thread, there was also wondrous hubris on the match thread.  In the same week, a Morton fan, without irony, started a thread on the SPL forum, asking in all seriousness how fans there, viewed the prospect of Morton coming up.

It was a bit annoying that come the Saturday, it took us over twenty minutes to get 4-0 up.

I suppose the Queens fans will be starting a thread after the match about how shite their manager is and how shite their team played. Let's face it, every other team we've played this year have started one. Why should Queens be any different?

3 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

I suppose the Queens fans will be starting a thread after the match about how shite their manager is and how shite their team played. Let's face it, every other team we've played this year have started one. Why should Queens be any different?

You missed out "Dobbie is done".

This thread feels like a prelude to getting absolutely pumped......

Might as well join in ......all teams must bow down to the super and except that the Ayrshire juggernaut are destined for title. Cmon lads enough petty bickering, we have diddys to scalp on saturday

The question to be asked about this game is surely whether or not McCall will change the team given (1) Adams' problem with plastic pitches and (2) will it matter that much anyway now that he's playing at the back?  I hope it's the latter.

1 minute ago, Jazzar said:

The question to be asked about this game is surely whether or not McCall will change the team given (1) Adams' problem with plastic pitches and (2) will it matter that much anyway now that he's playing at the back?  I hope it's the latter.

With no game next week i'm hoping he plays. Didnt seem to suffer any ill effects at Airdrie in April.  If he's out i'd guess maybe Bell in as a straight swap?

Chris Higgins made his come back on Tuesday in a reserve game think played the first half, if Adams misses out Bell can come in and Higgins on the bench as cover, the big decision for me is whither he sticks with Geggan at RB or Smith comes in Geggan has been solid so far and done nothing to be dropped for but Smith is probably one of the best full backs in the league going on last season's form with St Mirren, good to have theses issues mind you instead of worrying about a lack of squad depth.

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

With no game next week i'm hoping he plays. Didnt seem to suffer any ill effects at Airdrie in April.  If he's out i'd guess maybe Bell in as a straight swap?

Makes sense to get Bell in a game. No point having him wasting away on the bench every week.

Anyone been able to decipher ScotRail's latest updates and work out if you can travel Ayr - Killie with Stagecoach using an Ayr - Dumfries train ticket?
Providing they are accepting rail tickets (as opposed to replacement buses being laid on) then there shouldn't be any issues.

34 minutes ago, Meathead said:

Anyone been able to decipher ScotRail's latest updates and work out if you can travel Ayr - Killie with Stagecoach using an Ayr - Dumfries train ticket?

Few of us just bypassing the train station chaos and getting a taxi to Killie. Alternatively you can get a bus to auchinleck or new Cumnock.

1 hour ago, Meathead said:

56 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Few of us just bypassing the train station chaos and getting a taxi to Killie. Alternatively you can get a bus to auchinleck or new Cumnock.

Not clear from the info they have on twitter and their website. Looks like replacement buses from Ayr to Stranraer and that you can use train tickets on service buses between Ayr and Girvan.  To/from Kilmarnock, it only mentions those travelling to/from Stranraer and they are laying on taxis for those passengers between Kilmarnock and Ayr. 

Would seem unfair of them to pay for taxis for those going between Kilmarnock and Ayr in order to get to/from Stranraer on the replacement buses, but not for those making the same journey to connect with the trains to/from Dumfries. Might be worth finding out if they are organising taxis between Ayr and Kilmarnock before paying for one, but I can understand people preferring to avoid the mayhem altogether.

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Not clear from the info they have on twitter and their website. Looks like replacement buses from Ayr to Stranraer and that you can use train tickets on service buses between Ayr and Girvan.  To/from Kilmarnock, it only mentions those travelling to/from Stranraer and they are laying on taxis for those passengers between Kilmarnock and Ayr. 

Would seem unfair of them to pay for taxis for those going between Kilmarnock and Ayr in order to get to/from Stranraer on the replacement buses, but not for those making the same journey to connect with the trains to/from Dumfries. Might be worth finding out if they are organising taxis between Ayr and Kilmarnock before paying for one, but I can understand people preferring to avoid the mayhem altogether.

Spoke to them on twitter and it has only confided me more. Said to seek alternative transport to Killie then told by the same person there would be taxis and buses laid in. Just by-passing it completely. 7 of us anyway so an extra tenner each and we get dropped off and picked up in Killie.

You can still get advance singles from Glasgow to Carlisle (10am and 10:40am out, 9:50pm back), costs £17.50 total. Add £10.80 return from Ayr to Glasgow and £6:30 return Carlisle to Dumfries. £34.60 all in, avoids Killie plus you can booze on the Virgin trains post 9pm. Connects with the last train to Ayr from Glasgow. We're on the 1040 from Glasgow 8) 

Archived