Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

911 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I think it’ll just end in its current format when either they or the BBC decide enough is enough. 

Will be replaced with something like sacked in the morning when it does get pulled 

Ray Bradbury was murder yesterday, laughs every time Cosgrove opens his mouth. Another of Cosgrove's pals, Susie McCabe, was embarrassing last night. Need to dump Cosgrove and his friends.

Sacked In The Morning shows them up - quicker and witty

Edited by razamanaz

1 hour ago, razamanaz said:

Ray Bradbury was murder yesterday, laughs every time Cosgrove opens his mouth. Another of Cosgrove's pals, Susie McCabe, was embarrassing last night. Need to dump Cosgrove and his friends.

What will they do without Cr**g ? 

1 hour ago, Buddie Holly said:

is cowan on holiday again?

Georgia !

Nothing wrong with the show, always good listening.

Thing is the Scotland Managers is doing well so it's Tam and Stuarts turn to be criticised from some fans.

If you don't like what they do then there's always Shite ma Breeks Lineker with his drivel costing the licence payer £1.3 Million a year.

4 hours ago, razamanaz said:

To be fair Ray Bradbury has been dead since 2012

Was out and about in the car on Saturday and had the radio on, really enjoyed listening to it with Bradshaw and Cosgrove dovetailing in just the correct level between football and Scottish society/nostalgia. 

Such a fresh change from the attention seeking idiot Cowan interrupting and talking over people with his lame, outdated 'yer da' humour, I don't get to listen to it too often as most Saturdays I'm at the Celtic match on our supporters bus or occasionally at the Stirling Albion game but, last one I recall listening to Pat Nevin was on and discussing his time at Chelsea and Everton in an era of seismic change in football and, in general attitudes and outlooks in football in juxtaposition with evolution of society at the time, he was literally in the middle of a very interesting anecdote about Howard Kendall when Cowan immediately interjects with some crass, lame attempt at patter with zero relevance, probably because the show had gone a couple of minutes without a contribution from him or, just generally being about him.

Nevin didn't get the chance to return to his story, remember being thoroughly pissed off at the time, knowing how he regularly stalks here I hope he sees this and realises how much of a bell end he comes across as, no doubt provoking a personal dig at me via his social media like he did to another poster on here, if THE BBC have any sense they will keep Bradshaw on for a while in place of that muppet.

Edited by Flybhoy

I shudder to think what it would be replaced by if some of the other popular football stuff is anything to go by. It still does very well in the listener numbers but Cosgrove often goes off on a tangent and seems to have become a bit angry about a raft of things.

It’s still a half decent listen and I suspect when Cosgrove jacks it it will be replaced. 

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Was out and about in the car on Saturday and had the radio on, really enjoyed listening to it with Bradshaw and Cowan dovetailing in just the correct level between football and Scottish society/nostalgia. 

Such a fresh change from the attention seeking idiot Cowan interrupting and talking over people with his lame, outdated 'yer da' humour, I don't get to listen to it too often as most Saturdays I'm at the Celtic match on our supporters bus or occasionally at the Stirling Albion game but, last one I recall listening to Pat Nevin was on and discussing his time at Chelsea and Everton in an era of seismic change in football and, in general attitudes and outlooks in football in juxtaposition with evolution of society at the time, he was literally in the middle of a very interesting anecdote about Howard Kendall when Cowan immediately interjects with some crass, lame attempt at patter with zero relevance, probably because the show had gone a couple of minutes without a contribution from him or, just generally being about him.

Nevin didn't get the chance to return to his story, remember being thoroughly pissed off at the time, knowing how he regularly stalks here I hope he sees this and realises how much of a bell end he comes across as, no doubt provoking a personal dig at me via his social media like he did to another poster on here, if THE BBC have any sense they will keep Bradshaw on for a while in place of that muppet.

I think that sums it up quite nicely. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

On 20/11/2023 at 17:48, SandyCromarty said:

Thing is the Scotland Managers is doing well so it's Tam and Stuarts turn to be criticised from some fans.

If you don't like what they do then there's always Shite ma Breeks Lineker with his drivel costing the licence payer £1.3 Million a year.

So it is SSC v. Tam and Stuart ?

On 16/11/2023 at 21:43, Virtual Insanity said:

Ray Bradshaw. He's excellent. 

Did Cosgrove use the term window licking this evening? 

Yes, yes he did. I was catching up on Saturday morning. 

Cosgrove always wangs on about people getting starry-eyed about players who play down south. I think in the Bertie era it was a fair criticism, but generally who plying their trade currently in Scotland would replace someone England-based in the current squad? Noone.

I think Bradshaw is great, it feels very much like a generational shift (positively!). 

On 19/11/2023 at 14:25, AW saint said:

Cosgrove and Cowan need to step down. They are no longer funny and just sound like old guys with dad jokes

As said a few times before, we have no idea about audience demographics or numbers, but it would be safe to assume a large part of their audience is made up of old guys who enjoy da-type jokes and/or use da-type jokes themselves. 

On 20/11/2023 at 19:37, Flybhoy said:

Was out and about in the car on Saturday and had the radio on, really enjoyed listening to it with Bradshaw and Cosgrove dovetailing in just the correct level between football and Scottish society/nostalgia. 

Aye - this is indeed frustrating. As are the times a guest touches on something really interesting and neither of them follow-up on it (or are paying attention) as it is time for the famous birthdays or team of the week..

On 20/11/2023 at 17:48, SandyCromarty said:

It is not an either-or. A View From The Terrace shows what an innovative fresh take on Scottish football can yield. I enjoy OTB but the format is stale and if BBC content to persevere with Tam and Stuart in the same weekend slots, they could at least freshen up the structure of the programme. Rotating presenters tends to make the show better but there are other things that can be done. In saying that, maybe their listening figures are pretty impressive (if they were though am sure they would have mentioned it by now). 

Rangers and Celtic fans don't like it in general because it doesn't pander to them like Super scoreboard. 

I think it's fine, Cowan and Cosgrove have a good dynamic, the intellectual and the comedian, so when the show needs to be moderate, Cosgrove talks and when it needs moved on, Cowan kicks in. 

It has a decent level of coverage of all the issues going on and is fairly balanced, You just have to have a look at the mess Kenny McIntyre is making of sportsound to see what a lack of balance does and then the resulting overcorrection. 

Ray Bradshaw can be painful on it, he laughs at everything. Mark Nelson was a better foil for Tam Cowan when he sat in, Kept the show moving and let the guests speak, Bradshaw and Connie McLaughlin talk to much when they cover. 

I think Mark Nelson and Suzie McCabe would be a good pairing. 

12 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

As said a few times before, we have no idea about audience demographics or numbers, but it would be safe to assume a large part of their audience is made up of old guys who enjoy da-type jokes and/or use da-type jokes themselves. 

Aye - this is indeed frustrating. As are the times a guest touches on something really interesting and neither of them follow-up on it (or are paying attention) as it is time for the famous birthdays or team of the week..

It is not an either-or. A View From The Terrace shows what an innovative fresh take on Scottish football can yield. I enjoy OTB but the format is stale and if BBC content to persevere with Tam and Stuart in the same weekend slots, they could at least freshen up the structure of the programme. Rotating presenters tends to make the show better but there are other things that can be done. In saying that, maybe their listening figures are pretty impressive (if they were though am sure they would have mentioned it by now). 

I really like the wee bits AVFTT does on different clubs, particularly their lower league focus.

I've never found the bits when they sit around chatting very good though, it seems quite forced and i dont think any of them seem naturally funny people. Cowan - for all his faults - is very natural at what he does and he can be very funny.

I suppose he's been doing this for going on 3 decades whereas AVFTT is still relatively recent.

Edit: read that back and it comes across quite mean to the guys on AVFTT. It's been a good addition to Scottish football shows, but there's still a place for OTB. 

Edited by houston_bud

10 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I really like the wee bits AVFTT does on different clubs, particularly their lower league focus.

I've never found the bits when they sit around chatting very good though, it seems quite forced and i dont think any of them seem naturally funny people. Cowan - for all his faults - is very natural at what he does and he can be very funny.

I suppose he's been doing this for going on 3 decades whereas AVFTT is still relatively recent.

Edit: read that back and it comes across quite mean to the guys on AVFTT. It's been a good addition to Scottish football shows, but there's still a place for OTB. 

I think the AVFTT guys are far funnier than the 'yer da' gimmick Cowan has.  Craig Telfer, who is @Francesc Fabregas on here, its a decent natural presenter and seems to have a sharp wit.