Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

909 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 31/03/2024 at 21:15, Flybhoy said:

I recall reading an interview with one of the players from the Scotland side of that era, prior to Italia 90 Costa Rica played a friendly against Wales and their keeper was at fault for a goal after flapping at a cross or something. 

Tactical genius Roxburgh decided our main tactic in the opening match in Genoa against them would be to batter endless crosses in, utilising the 'talents' of that useless fucking carthorse Alan McInally, oh and the keeper naturally had a field day dealing with our innovative pan as we made a complete arse of ourselves against the supposed group minnows.

Was it not a different keeper to the one Roxburgh had seen play as well?

On 31/03/2024 at 16:49, KingRocketman II said:

I believe I recall exactly how the Richard Gough rumour started. It was actually Craig Brown who offered clarification and refuted it. Still don't know why Brown never picked up for Scotland though I think that harbours back to Gough's dressing room attitude and behaviour when Roxburgh was the manager and Brown was no2. 

Was it not something like Roxburgh , allegedly , saying he knew something that would , allegedly , put Gough on the front pages rather than the back ?

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Was it not a different keeper to the one Roxburgh had seen play as well?

The same goalkeeper, Luis Gabelo Conejo, played in both games.

I've just watched highlights of their group stage games at that World Cup and his handling was hopeless. Against Brazil he comes swimming for several cross and misses them completely. Similarly, there's one against Sweden where he comes flying out of his box and completely drops the ball, and Sweden's goal in that game is a rebound after he fumbles a shot. He then didn't play in their knock-out game, presumably dropped.

His shot stopping was good though, as he showed against us in that game with a number of good saves.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The same goalkeeper, Luis Gabelo Conejo, played in both games.

I've just watched highlights of their group stage games at that World Cup and his handling was hopeless. Against Brazil he comes swimming for several cross and misses them completely. Similarly, there's one against Sweden where he comes flying out of his box and completely drops the ball, and Sweden's goal in that game is a rebound after he fumbles a shot. He then didn't play in their knock-out game, presumably dropped.

His shot stopping was good though, as he showed against us in that game with a number of good saves.

Typical that he had his game of a lifetime against us then 😕

4 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Was it not something like Roxburgh , allegedly , saying he knew something that would , allegedly , put Gough on the front pages rather than the back ?

That's how I heard it at the time.

16 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

yeh that was it exactly - though think it was Brown who actually said that, pretty much verbatim. And when Brown said that about Gough, who was with Rangers at the time, a few red-tops were coincidentally looking into stories about unsavoury and potentially inappropriate behaviour of a Scottish Prem player. This leaked - though the stories didn't get published until a few years later - and everyone assumed the player in question was Gough on account of what Brown said. However the player in question was actually Justin Fashanu who was with Hearts or Hamilton I think at the time.....

Brown didn't divulge what his Gough front page story was though.....

Edited by KingRocketman II

On 31/03/2024 at 22:56, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It goes all the way back to 1954. Quite jawdropping incompetence from the association.

Top two from the Home Internationals were to qualify, but the SFA said we would only go if we finished top. Of course, we finished 2nd, and they stuck to their guns

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Top two from the Home Internationals were to qualify, but the SFA said we would only go if we finished top. Of course, we finished 2nd, and they stuck to their guns

Whereas the English FA said they'd go even if they finished second. 

And promptly lost 1-0 to the USA.

Anent Richard Gough: 

When, to my mind and a lot of others at the time, he flounced out of the Scotland team he was playing fairly well for Rangers and so, naturally, certain tabloids launched a "Gough for a Scotland recall" campaign. 

There may be some comment regarding this in the old copies of The Absolute Game I have but life's too short to go and find it. I'm sure a lot of Scotland fans were of the opinion at the time that Gough could go and do one. 

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Anent Richard Gough: 

When, to my mind and a lot of others at the time, he flounced out of the Scotland team he was playing fairly well for Rangers and so, naturally, certain tabloids launched a "Gough for a Scotland recall" campaign. 

There may be some comment regarding this in the old copies of The Absolute Game I have but life's too short to go and find it. I'm sure a lot of Scotland fans were of the opinion at the time that Gough could go and do one. 

We miss " The Absolute Game " !

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Anent Richard Gough: 

Greenie for "anent".  A fine word.

4 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

Who, on earth, is the Co presenter with Ray Bradshaw? Does she not know that at times, you need to keep quiet and let the other presenter speak?

Dearie me.

Ali De Foy. 

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Got to be the worst Off the Ball ever

Must be. The guests are all decent too but she is  just dragging the show down, and I’m not misogynistic in any way.

5 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

Must be. The guests are all decent too but she is  just dragging the show down, and I’m not misogynistic in any way.

She would be a good guest but this isn't great. There are no jingles either this week which is weird.