Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

908 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

"Mr Cowan made comments which had "elements of sexism and sexual innuendo" in a programme broadcast on February 10."

Unforgivable. Throw the book at him.

I hope any sexual innuendo will now be whipped out by the Producer and exposed if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It could be hairy for the Presenters if it leaves them looking small. 

Signed 

Finbarr Saunders

46 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I hope any sexual innuendo will now be whipped out by the Producer and exposed if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It could be hairy for the Presenters if it leaves them looking small. 

Signed 

Finbarr Saunders

They really would open themselves up to a firm probe by management. It could get messy.

2 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

People have bitched and moaned about all sorts of things for decades, centuries really.

Always enjoyed the "WOKE CULTURE! YOUNG PEOPLE MOAN ABOUT EVERYTHING!" type chat from a generation who'd throw a hissy fit and refuse to be somewhere if someone of a different sexuality was breathing the same air as them.

They're oblivious as to why their children have turned out the way they have.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

People can complain about whatever they want, it will only be upheld if what is said is actually slanderous or offensive, which is what has happened here. It has been a long time coming for Cowan's output across social media, I don't know enough about Gough's background to know whether Cosgrove's comment is reasonable.

Haven’t you got recent and previous ‘beef’ with the bold Tam?

I have to do these mandatory Diversity, Equality and Inclusion courses at work, so I feel his pain.

Fight the power, Tam!

Actually, just sit there, let it wash over you, then explode on air some day in the near future. That’ll be good radio.

Stevie here has helpfully clipped the Cosgrove comment within its context:

"I'm not entirely sure that Richard was against Apartheid". Was, not is. There's no accusation there that Gough retrospectively defends Apartheid today.

What we know is that Gough opposed the sporting boycott of South Africa at least as late as 1989 because he's quoted from that year saying so. The sporting boycott had become a UN convention in 1985.

Folk like Stevie above need to think more about systems and their effects. Apartheid wasn't some passive background thing in South Africa, it was an active political project. Folk raised under it were subjected to constant conditioning in service of it. Not every white South African was a Denis Goldberg and Gough's views in 1989 will've been unremarkable for his background. When it comes to oppressive systems, the group of people benefitting are always the last to accept the system ending. Basic stuff and for Stevie to be wowed by the suggestion shows he hasn't thought much or noticed any patterns.

BBC pandering to the complainants is disappointing. 

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What are you insinuating that he is insinuating? Do you know something?

I think it's pretty telling that Gough isn't a huge media figure despite being a great player in his day. 

Apparently Craig Brown sat down with Walter Smith and David Murray and explained why he wouldn't pick him for Scotland and they basically said "fair enough". To his credit Brown said he would never reveal his reasons in public so I guess we have to read between the lines a bit. 

It kinda seems like he is either a massive bellend or at the very least a divisive character for whatever reason.

It's immature but I could never get over a photo a schoolmate showed me in the early 90s of him on the dressing room with a boner showing through his briefs. Never been able to take him seriously since. 🙂

Edited by andyg83

7 hours ago, Afc69 said:

Cowan was absent last weekend due to illness but was also absent a few weekends previously. Stuart made a very vague comment in reference to his whereabouts, I wonder if he was undertaking his training that weekend?

For the Sevconians to get all hot under the collar regarding these comments shows them up for the hypocrites that they are. I know Stuart fairly well and he doesn’t have a bad bone in his body but in these days of Woke culture, there is very little for folk NOT to get upset about

You were doing so well until the last 13 words 

1 hour ago, andyg83 said:

I think it's pretty telling that Gough isn't a huge media figure despite being a great player in his day. 

Apparently Craig Brown sat down with Walter Smith and David Murray and explained why he wouldn't pick him for Scotland and they basically said "fair enough". To his credit Brown said he would never reveal his reasons in public so I guess we have to read between the lines a bit. 

It kinda seems like he is either a massive bellend or at the very least a divisive character for whatever reason.

It's immature but I could never get over a photo a schoolmate showed me in the early 90s of him on the dressing room with a boner showing through his briefs. Never been able to take him seriously since. 🙂

For obvious reasons I'm not repeating the rumours about Richard Gough that have been kicking about for three decades now that seemingly were *allegedly the reasons for the premature end to his international career but I'm sure everyone on here has heard them at some point.  

One would like to think they are bullshit slanderous nonsense but many others are vociferous about them being true, chances are we will never know but, if so you can understand why Craig Brown vowed to keep it to himself. 

23 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Stuart and Tam news

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24218335.tam-cowan-attends-diversity-training-sexist-comments/

Rangers fans taking offence to a joke that Gough “may not be against apartheid”. Gough was an advocate of forging closer sporting links with the apartheid regime of the time. 

I can't remember the exact show but there was definitely one where everyone (and I include 2 others) who were sailing very close to the wind in terms of sexist humour, I assume this was it.

R.E. Gough, given the historical context, it's absolutely fair game 

Edited by Stylish Kid

Did Cowan not have a meltdown about someone on here calling out his pish 'yer da' type misogynistic outdated attention seeking humour and post details about said poster all over his Instagram in a lame, cringeworthy retort?

I actually followed his IG around then for no other reason than Isa style nosiness and it generally consists of pictures of him going for a curry with Chic Young, Jonathan Watson and the likes with pish Sidney Devine or Englebert Humperdink songs playing over the selection of 'lads night out' pictures. 

Absolute puddle drinking moron who no doubt thinks the likes of Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson are genuine comic geniuses unfairly maligned by the woke Brigade.

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Did Cowan not have a meltdown about someone on here calling out his pish 'yer da' type misogynistic outdated attention seeking humour and post details about said poster all over his Instagram in a lame, cringeworthy retort?

I actually followed his IG around then for no other reason than Isa style nosiness and it generally consists of pictures of him going for a curry with Chic Young, Jonathan Watson and the likes with pish Sidney Devine or Englebert Humperdink songs playing over the selection of 'lads night out' pictures. 

Absolute puddle drinking moron who no doubt thinks the likes of Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson are genuine comic geniuses unfairly maligned by the woke Brigade.

I do think your last paragraph is very harsh.

However on the first point, I know there was one about Marvin Bartley because yours truly featured on his Instagram 🙃

14 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

For obvious reasons I'm not repeating the rumours about Richard Gough that have been kicking about for three decades now that seemingly were *allegedly the reasons for the premature end to his international career but I'm sure everyone on here has heard them at some point.  

One would like to think they are bullshit slanderous nonsense but many others are vociferous about them being true, chances are we will never know but, if so you can understand why Craig Brown vowed to keep it to himself. 

I once phoned the DR hotline about this allegation and the journo said "aye it's only the 15th call I've had this week about it".

Difficult to see how it could have been genuine esp in this day and age with historic allegations etc.