Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 19/03/2024 at 13:54, Peil said:

image.thumb.png.16528552b1d5b51b7de1c139155a6231.png

image.png.6123bbf402e03075c88cd689229c09a82.thumb.png.f2cf40a114863af0f447fd7ade365133.png

Annotated it for you.

Anyway I love Raeside/Bradshaw as a combo, and I did really enjoy Suzi McCabe pointing out to Cosgrove that she was "Saving his pension" as he tried to make the tired "alphabet soup" (or equivalent) gag. Bravo 👏

Stuart and Tam news

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24218335.tam-cowan-attends-diversity-training-sexist-comments/

Rangers fans taking offence to a joke that Gough “may not be against apartheid”. Gough was an advocate of forging closer sporting links with the apartheid regime of the time. 

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Stuart and Tam news

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24218335.tam-cowan-attends-diversity-training-sexist-comments/

Rangers fans taking offence to a joke that Gough “may not be against apartheid”. Gough was an advocate of forging closer sporting links with the apartheid regime of the time. 

"Mr Cowan made comments which had "elements of sexism and sexual innuendo" in a programme broadcast on February 10."

Unforgivable. Throw the book at him.

9 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Stuart and Tam news

Not only sporting links..

I was young and all my mates had gone to the South African army. I wanted to go to the South African army with all my mates. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/richard-gough-reveals-dundee-united-29746309

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

"Mr Cowan made comments which had "elements of sexism and sexual innuendo" in a programme broadcast on February 10."

Unforgivable. Throw the book at him.

Think you will find it should be she/her/hers, he/him/his, and they/them/theirs. There are other nonbinary pronouns.

11 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Think you will find it should be she/her/hers, he/him/his, and they/them/theirs. There are other nonbinary pronouns.

I was told I couldn't use this/that/the other.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Exactly. We have to take it that the complaint is Stuart suggesting that we have to consider the possibility Gough wasn’t 100% a hater of black people has offended some Rangers fan. Whatever their intentions were, that’s what the BBC have endorsed. 

Here's how history was taught in Apartheid South African schools:

The easy bit for the education department was deciding to dump the version of history propagated under what was called "Christian National Education", peppered with white heroes with Dutch surnames. For decades, children of all races learned that the Afrikaner was the real victim of South Africa's perpetual strife. As it was told, the peaceful Boers who settled in the Cape were abused and oppressed by the British in the early 19th century, and so forced to make the Great Trek north. They were attacked and betrayed by the great African chiefs, including the king of the Zulus, and so had to fight for their survival.

And when they had finally established their own countries with the Boer republics, the British made war to get their hands on Johannesburg's gold mines. Tens of thousands of Boer women and children were murdered in the infamous British concentration camps. And when it was over, the Afrikaner was a British subject and a second-class citizen.

Only in 1948, with the election of the National party government, was the Afrikaner liberated. All of this went to justify the imposition of apartheid. It was not a form of oppression, its authors argued, but a survival strategy for a people persecuted on all sides.

(https://www.theguardian.com/education/2001/mar/16/schools.news).

Gough grew up in a society where all institutions were dedicated to the maintenance of the political project they were upholding (Apartheid). That heavily conditioned the population. Cosgrove should be allowed to flippantly reference Gough's support for Apartheid at the time without having to explain all that. The complainant will've been one of these folk who shit the bed whenever anything to do with racism is mentioned.

12 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Stuart and Tam news

Interesting that 1 complaint can result in this.

Jermaine Jenas deeply upsets my well-being whenever I hear him, I will need to let the relevant authorities know. 

36 minutes ago, BrodieJ12 said:

Interesting that 1 complaint can result in this.

Jermaine Jenas deeply upsets my well-being whenever I hear him, I will need to let the relevant authorities know. 

I presume it was more him airing, via the BBC, an implication that Gough is a racist/apartheid supporter. 

People can complain about whatever they want, it will only be upheld if what is said is actually slanderous or offensive, which is what has happened here. It has been a long time coming for Cowan's output across social media, I don't know enough about Gough's background to know whether Cosgrove's comment is reasonable.

Cowan was absent last weekend due to illness but was also absent a few weekends previously. Stuart made a very vague comment in reference to his whereabouts, I wonder if he was undertaking his training that weekend?

For the Sevconians to get all hot under the collar regarding these comments shows them up for the hypocrites that they are. I know Stuart fairly well and he doesn’t have a bad bone in his body but in these days of Woke culture, there is very little for folk NOT to get upset about

1 hour ago, Afc69 said:

Cowan was absent last weekend due to illness but was also absent a few weekends previously. Stuart made a very vague comment in reference to his whereabouts, I wonder if he was undertaking his training that weekend?

For the Sevconians to get all hot under the collar regarding these comments shows them up for the hypocrites that they are. I know Stuart fairly well and he doesn’t have a bad bone in his body but in these days of Woke culture, there is very little for folk NOT to get upset about

You have absolutely no idea what the word 'woke' means.

1 hour ago, Afc69 said:

No such thing as woke culture. It is an invention of the US hard right. 

People have bitched and moaned about all sorts of things for decades, centuries really. Plays have been banned, people dragged in to court, the Mary Whitehouse of the world have always been around. Most voices were isolated. The Internet has now joined all those voices together. Apparently, this is "woke" when it is what has always been out there but magnified x 100.