Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

908 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He was a regular customer when I worked in Greaves in 2002, so maybe 20 years.

Thinking more about this Gough never seemed like he was comfortable talking to cameras and certainly never seemed hugely personable.

Great player and a great leader on the pitch, but he always seemed introverted when I saw him either on telly or in real life.

On 29/03/2024 at 22:08, andyg83 said:

I think it's pretty telling that Gough isn't a huge media figure despite being a great player in his day. 

That’s an absurd argument. There are literally hundreds of great players who aren’t huge media figures. It’s not an automatic right of passage. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

That’s an absurd argument. There are literally hundreds of great players who aren’t huge media figures. It’s not an automatic right of passage. 

And frankly far too many utter jobbers (Michael Stewart, I'm specifically talking to you) who are. 

Just now, velo army said:

And frankly far too many utter jobbers (Michael Stewart, I'm specifically talking to you) who are. 

He played for Man Utd didn’t you know?

I believe I recall exactly how the Richard Gough rumour started. It was actually Craig Brown who offered clarification and refuted it. Still don't know why Brown never picked up for Scotland though I think that harbours back to Gough's dressing room attitude and behaviour when Roxburgh was the manager and Brown was no2. 

On 29/03/2024 at 22:08, andyg83 said:

I think it's pretty telling that Gough isn't a huge media figure despite being a great player in his day. 

He's been a property developer in San Diego for most of the last 25 years.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

I believe I recall exactly how the Richard Gough rumour started. It was actually Craig Brown who offered clarification and refuted it. Still don't know why Brown never picked up for Scotland though I think that harbours back to Gough's dressing room attitude and behaviour when Roxburgh was the manager and Brown was no2. 

Was that when Andy Roxburgh was accused of basing his tactics on tips he got from a taxi driver? 

51 minutes ago, bennett said:

Was that when Andy Roxburgh was accused of basing his tactics on tips he got from a taxi driver? 

Yes. The 'taxi driver' was Bobby Robson.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

I recall reading an interview with one of the players from the Scotland side of that era, prior to Italia 90 Costa Rica played a friendly against Wales and their keeper was at fault for a goal after flapping at a cross or something. 

Tactical genius Roxburgh decided our main tactic in the opening match in Genoa against them would be to batter endless crosses in, utilising the 'talents' of that useless fucking carthorse Alan McInally, oh and the keeper naturally had a field day dealing with our innovative pan as we made a complete arse of ourselves against the supposed group minnows.

I remember to this day launching my Italia 90 cube alarm clock off my bedroom wall at full time, resulting in me being late for school on several occasions 😂

22 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I recall reading an interview with one of the players from the Scotland side of that era, prior to Italia 90 Costa Rica played a friendly against Wales and their keeper was at fault for a goal after flapping at a cross or something. 

Tactical genius Roxburgh decided our main tactic in the opening match in Genoa against them would be to batter endless crosses in, utilising the 'talents' of that useless fucking carthorse Alan McInally, oh and the keeper naturally had a field day dealing with our innovative pan as we made a complete arse of ourselves against the supposed group minnows.

I remember to this day launching my Italia 90 cube alarm clock off my bedroom wall at full time, resulting in me being late for school on several occasions 😂

It's better than that. Bora Milutinovic knew Roxburgh was watching so told the keeper to drop a few.

58 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

If it makes you feel better, I was in the stadium and we were just next to a big bunch of Costa Rica fans who were going crazy at the end.

One of the lowest moments following Scotland tbh.

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

If it makes you feel better, I was in the stadium and we were just next to a big bunch of Costa Rica fans who were going crazy at the end.

One of the lowest moments following Scotland tbh.

I was there too. Awful feeling. Many gut wrenching memories following Scotland down the years. 

Spare a thought for those poor souls who witnessed 1-1 against Iran in 1978.

Arguably our worst result ever at a major finals given the talented players at our disposal.

IMG_8665.webp.3acdcdbcd106e32d423df825ecd7a8f0.webpIMG_8667.thumb.jpeg.012ba99bcad00b757e6edf303a344281.jpegIMG_8664.webp.621abd249c3bcd2eb4b4a0e1df842261.webp

IMG_8666.thumb.jpeg.03ba4c5857073aa6ac53ccc6a0ca2619.jpeg

TBF, Iran were Asian champions and a lot better than we were expecting, same as Peru. Admittedly not as impressive a boast as now, but the assumption should still have been that they'd be no mugs. If you look at their results at the time, there's a lot of narrow defeats and draws in friendlies with other European nations.

The problem, as it always is with Scotland, is that the SFA didn't do their research and just assumed everything would be fine. The history of the Scottish national team is of the people in charge exhibiting extraordinary hubris, or just not giving a shit. When we've lost to (then-unfancied) sides like Costa Rica, we've absolutely deserved it; it's a shame it's always the players who take the blame.

Just now, BFTD said:

TBF, Iran were Asian champions and a lot better than we were expecting, same as Peru. Admittedly not as impressive a boast as now, but the assumption should still have been that they'd be no mugs. If you look at their results at the time, there's a lot of narrow defeats and draws in friendlies with other European nations.

The problem, as it always is with Scotland, is that the SFA didn't do their research and just assumed everything would be fine. The history of the Scottish national team is of the people in charge exhibiting extraordinary hubris, or just not giving a shit. When we've lost to (then-unfancied) sides like Costa Rica, we've absolutely deserved it; it's a shame it's always the players who take the blame.

It goes all the way back to 1954. Quite jawdropping incompetence from the association.

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It goes all the way back to 1954. Quite jawdropping incompetence from the association.

"Switzerland's cold, right? Best pack only warm jerseys for this summer World Cup"  :lol:

19 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Is that not just because he's been living in the states for close to thirty years?

He's a personality vacuum which doesn't help either.

I'm another one of the unfortunates that was at the Costa Rica game. I can't say I enjoyed much about that world cup experience. You expect to get ripped off, but the travel arrangements and the Italians took it to a new level.

On 31/03/2024 at 22:38, Molotov said:

I was there too. Awful feeling. Many gut wrenching memories following Scotland down the years. 

Spare a thought for those poor souls who witnessed 1-1 against Iran in 1978.

Arguably our worst result ever at a major finals given the talented players at our disposal.

IMG_8665.webp.3acdcdbcd106e32d423df825ecd7a8f0.webpIMG_8667.thumb.jpeg.012ba99bcad00b757e6edf303a344281.jpeg

Kevin "Bloody" Wilson on the right there. 

Gawd. That takes me back to pinching my dad's KBW cassette tape when in the house by myself and nearly dying at Hey Santa Claus you... and Mick Me Mate among so many classics.